Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Hang on. We've been told he is simply the continuation of Packer QB-drafting ingenuity. The latest in line.

is this not true then?

It may be. It may not be. But that is not the point of the current discussion. I have seen nobody in this thread attacking Jordan Love the prospect. The only criticisms leveled against the pick are nonsensical attacks against a process that has proven to be successful. The process is not the problem. The prospect might be - but that isn't a given either. 

57 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I don't think they needed to tell Rodgers. And I think Love will be good.

But that pick was still a mistake - what if Rodgers repeats his performance from last year two more years? They have to see what they have in Love before paying him $25 million. If he has no bad game tape, even without the presence of any game tape some team would pay him.

So Rodgers wins MVP in 2022 and the Packers....trade him? Or keep him and pick up Loves option and then....hope he declines?

This was always going to end with trading Rodgers so they might as well do it now.

Was it a mistake to pick a QB when Rodgers was injured in 2017, had a down year in 2018 coupled with another injury, had a mediocre/ down year in 2019 with some issues in sticking to the offensive system?  At the time, there were several items pointing to a possible decline, so picking g a QB seemed a fair/good decision.

Should GB have known that Rodgers would do some reflecting, film study on himself, and refocus on some fundamentals that happen to coincide with drafting the QB?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

In all seriousness I get the pick. A team shouldn't be penalised for drafting a QB to one day take over, if he's good enough and still there.

Equally, people who critcize the pick have a case in terms of the team missing out on a chance to push a SB contender over the edge. This where I am - you have Rodgers, MVP, defense killing QB. You're constantly complaining he's never had the defenses that Brady has etc, so criticize the pick! Pick a DE, a CB, a LB...instead of a future possible takeover. 

Yes it was Aaron Rodgers in name, but there were signs of declining performance for a few years.

Colin Cowherd mentioned that Aaron has the same agent as Carson Palmer who played this same card I think it does add to the threat of Aaron not playing this year

Edited by Beavis

11 hours ago, Duluther said:

Is it possible that, if Rodgers successfully forces his way out of GB, it sets the precedent for franchise QBs  to be easily able to do the same?

I don't think this is groundbreaking? It's happened before right? Cutler, Palmer.

9 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Its hard to fathom that people are this dense.

Team X is on the clock and the Packers want to trade up to grab Love...

Hold on, we can't draft a QB before we consult with our toddler at QB who will throw a tantrum unless he is consulted.

... clock runs out.

How absolutely pathetic of a cold take that Rodgers deserves to be in on roster decisions.

Reality: Packers tell Rodgers ahead of time that they are interested in drafting Love and he leaks it to the press.

1) You don’t spur of moment decide to draft a number 1 pick.  You have drilled different scenarios every day for months.

So they knew they were targeting Love.

2) Rodgers is not some ‘toddler’.   He is a late 30s QB, who like all great players has a giant ego, who is by far most important piece of franchise.

Did Brady not get Jimmy G. Traded?  Did Ben. R not throw a conniption when they drafted a QB in 3rd a few years back?  

They are not so stupid to know that this wouldn’t piss Rodgers off.   They knew it would.

Dirty secret is knew it and they didn’t care.  Rodgers had not played great couple of seasons before.   They were ready to move on.

Rodgers threw a wrench in program by playing good and then great.  He changed narrative.  

Just trade him and be done.   Fans have already turned on him.   Let them get excited about future draft haul.

• Like 2

The issue is that Aaron doesn't really have any good options. If you look at the field right now, there's no obvious upgrade to Green Bay to go to. Tampa is the most stacked team and they are riding Brady until he retires. Kansas City is also similarly stacked, they aren't displacing Mahomes. The Bills are good, no way in hell are they disrupting Allen's progress to bring Rodgers in. The Saints were good last year but they are in cap hell right now.

Honestly the two Peyton Manning teams Indy and Denver are really the only spots that look like they could make a playoff run with Rodgers. And neither looks like they are clear upgrades over Green Bay. Denver has the downside that you basically have to deal with Chiefs and Mahomes who are a well oiled and proven machine and then a rising Chargers team with Herbert. Now The AFC South might be ripe for the picking, but Lawrence is coming up and I just don't think Indy is really in a much better position than GB at this point. 

Like he can force the issue, the there's a very real chance he goes somewhere worse and then his team flounders to get it's footing and has growing pains and struggles with already established competition and by the point that's sorted out, he's pushing 40 and his physical skills are diminished. 

40 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The issue is that Aaron doesn't really have any good options. If you look at the field right now, there's no obvious upgrade to Green Bay to go to. Tampa is the most stacked team and they are riding Brady until he retires. Kansas City is also similarly stacked, they aren't displacing Mahomes. The Bills are good, no way in hell are they disrupting Allen's progress to bring Rodgers in. The Saints were good last year but they are in cap hell right now.

Honestly the two Peyton Manning teams Indy and Denver are really the only spots that look like they could make a playoff run with Rodgers. And neither looks like they are clear upgrades over Green Bay. Denver has the downside that you basically have to deal with Chiefs and Mahomes who are a well oiled and proven machine and then a rising Chargers team with Herbert. Now The AFC South might be ripe for the picking, but Lawrence is coming up and I just don't think Indy is really in a much better position than GB at this point. 

Like he can force the issue, the there's a very real chance he goes somewhere worse and then his team flounders to get it's footing and has growing pains and struggles with already established competition and by the point that's sorted out, he's pushing 40 and his physical skills are diminished. 

Actually, the retirement option is a viable one - Alex Trebek was paid 10M+ a year to be the Jeopardy host.   For everyone that points to the 11.5M bonus payback (or 23M if GB wants to full HAM) - Rodgers doesn't have to rely on just savings to try and pay that off.    And that's a gig that's indefinite by nature.  

I get your point was football-related - but in terms of leverage, A-Rod has more than your normal holdout because of the high-income alternative option.    He's also old enough where any time spent in retirement craters his trade value for the Pack. 

Add it up, a trade does seem inevitable, if the relationship is that broken.    Where this factors into your analysis - I'd be genuinely surprised if A-Rod's trade return did match the Wilson/Watson discussions (3 firsts and a decent player), even realizing that the 1sts are likely to be late 1sts, in the 20's.    I'd think it's more likely we see a better package than Stafford, but lower than Watson/Wilson.   Like 2 1sts and a young player.   Or 2 1sts and a Surtain/Stokes swap - realizing the future 1sts are in the 20's most cases.     

As for destinations, keep in mind A-Rod has cited LV & Denver, and some rumors had Miami (although West Coast is apparently big because of his fiancée's residence and work in LA).    I don't think IND is a viable location given the above.    LV is certainly a lot worse than GB is destination-wise.    As much as some of it is wishful thinking, A-Rod's preference does seem to point to Denver as the top location.   Guess we'll see how it turns out.

Edited by Broncofan

45 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Don't see how the WFT wouldn't be a good option for him... top 5 defense, top 10 OL and a very solid corps of weapons.

• Like 3