Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Since picks are generally devalued a full round per year, and that Rodgers probably would have WFT picking at the end of the round, two 1sts and a 2/3rd is the rough equivalent of a late 2nd and a pair of late 3rds. That adds up to a single high 2nd. You thing GB is moving Rodgers for ~530 draft points? 

since the draft already happened, technically you wouldnt devalue picks in 2022 i dont think. But as long as theyre in upcoming years, I doubt GB cares about how many "draft points" theyre getting. a 1st in 2022 and 2023, and a 2nd and 3rd in either years seems like a decent return given the circumstances.  

• Like 2

Just now, incognito_man said:

of course it is?

Why wouldn't it be? 

Because he's not good? I mean, I'm sure even he knows he's not good. The gap between Funchess and MVS isn't really that big.

I'm not going to fault Green Bay for that specific signing - but in a year with a bumper crop of FA WRs (Corey Davis, Will Fuller, Marvin Jones, Kenny Golliday) and pass catching TEs (Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith) not taking a nibble from that pond seems a bit... Well, it's not what I'd do.

The Packers were interested in Will Fuller last season, and the bulk of his suspension was served as a Texan - why not pursue him? Stylistically, he's an ideal compliment to Davante Adams...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Because he's not good? I mean, I'm sure even he knows he's not good. The gap between Funchess and MVS isn't really that big.

I'm not going to fault Green Bay for that specific signing - but in a year with a bumper crop of FA WRs (Corey Davis, Will Fuller, Marvin Jones, Kenny Golliday) and pass catching TEs (Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith) not taking a nibble from that pond seems a bit... Well, it's not what I'd do.

The Packers were interested in Will Fuller last season, and the bulk of his suspension was served as a Texan - why not pursue him? Stylistically, he's an ideal compliment to Davante Adams...

GB has zero cap space because a certain QB won't restructure...

We literally restructured everyone else on the team we could in order to re-sign Aaron Jones (for Rodgers).

Those players aren't even close to remotely affordable (unless Rodgers was willing to restructure in this wonky offseason which he refused to do).

It is 100% his own fault no weapons other than Aaron Jones were able to be added/retained this offseason.

And Funchess is better than "not good". He put up 700yds/6 TDs per season as the #1 WR in Carolina in his 3rd and 4th years in the league. He was a fantastic value signing after losing his 5th season to injury...

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

GB has zero cap space because a certain QB won't restructure...

We literally restructured everyone else on the team we could in order to re-sign Aaron Jones (for Rodgers).

Those players aren't even close to remotely affordable (unless Rodgers was willing to restructure in this wonky offseason which he refused to do).

It is 100% his own fault no weapons other than Aaron Jones were able to be added/retained this offseason.

You know the cap situation better than I do, so I'll concede this. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You know the cap situation better than I do, so I'll concede this. 

I know you trust me more than anyone, what he said is true. Only way we could free up enough for something like this was a Rodgers restructure. We were all wondering why we hadn't done it, now we know. Our 2022 cap is a mess too so hard to work with these lower year 1 cap hits too. Make sense sweetie?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Points scored by the Packers offense in playoff losses:

2011 - 20 Points 

2012 - 31 Points (Pretty decent showing let down by the defense)

2013 - 20 Points 

2014 - 22 Points (Wilson threw 4 INT this game) 

2015 - 20 Points

2016 - 21 Points

2019 - 20 Points

2020 - 26 Points (Pretty decent showing IMO but considering the 3 INT in the 2nd half 26 is pretty meh)

I mean I hate to say it but most of the Packers recent playoff losses have been due to pretty talented offenses with pretty talented supporting casts really underperforming. The defenses have not been great in a number of playoff losses but still you expect one of the highest paid players in the NFL to pick up the slack to an extent and he simply has folded more then put the team on his back. The Packers are to blame for the lack of superbowl appearances but Rodgers does share some of it. 

2011 - 37 pts allowed

2012 - 45 pts allowed

2013 - 23 pts allowed

2014 - 28 pts allowed

2015 - 26 pts allowed

2016 - 44 pts allowed

2019 - 37 pts allowed

2020 - 31 pts allowed

thats pretty ugly. And I get it, GB has relied on Rodgers to drag them along for so long, people expect him to overcome that. However, youre being too kind when you say a he had a talented surrounding cast. Hes usually had at least one very good WR target, but thats about it when it comes to stand outs. Randall got old quick, there was a year he had to rely jeff janis and jared abberderis (?) in a game they ultimately were eliminated, not to mention Lazard and MVS having to be relied on lately. Certainly in the early teens they had a very scary surrounding cast, but in the back half of his career that hasnt been as much of the case. Unfortunately, Rodgers playoffs story hasnt been the offense underperforming as much as the defense holding up as much as a wet tissue. theyve been boat raced early in way too many games, and its unfair for any offense to be asked to catch up consistently.

18 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I know you trust me more than anyone, what he said is true.

I trust you and @Outpost31.

We could have RULED BB...

18 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Make sense sweetie?

Of course it does, snickerdoodle.

58 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I get your point, but I think it's a little far-fetched to claim Aaron Rodgers brings in 90% of the Packers revenue. 

I clearly was not being literal with that 90% part. Just an analagy.

5 minutes ago, Pool said:

I clearly was not being literal with that 90% part. Just an analagy.

It actually made me curious and I tried to google around a bit, but couldn't find any concrete answer. But I'd be actually curious to know how much added 'value' a player like Rodgers adds to a franchise. The Jaguars with Trevor Lawrence would be a great case study right now.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cowboys have been the most 'valuable' franchise, and whether or not they kept Dak around, I don't think that would actually impact their value all that much, the brand carries the weight.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

since the draft already happened, technically you wouldnt devalue picks in 2022 i dont think. But as long as theyre in upcoming years, I doubt GB cares about how many "draft points" theyre getting. a 1st in 2022 and 2023, and a 2nd and 3rd in either years seems like a decent return given the circumstances.  

I completely agree.  These claims that Rodgers is worth 3 firsts and two premium players are absurd.  The 2-3 elite years he has left are just not worth such a high price. 

In addition, teams who are a quarterback away aren't going to want to give away their best players.  If they did that, what would be the point of it all?  You would be bringing in a guy who isn't much of a team player and he hasn't proven he can win in the playoffs without an elite supporting cast.

Two firsts and a third seem like a fair price for 2-3 years of improved QB play along with being saddled with one of the biggest contracts in the league.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Don't see how the WFT wouldn't be a good option for him... top 5 defense, top 10 OL and a very solid corps of weapons.

Looking at it from that perspective, the Team is the perfect option for him from a football standpoint.  It may just come down to whether he wants to play on the east side of the country.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Looking at it from that perspective, the Team is the perfect option for him from a football standpoint.  It may just come down to whether he wants to play on the east side of the country.

and/or whether WFT has enough ammunition and/or cap space to make it work

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Points scored by the Packers offense in playoff losses:

2011 - 20 Points 

2012 - 31 Points (Pretty decent showing let down by the defense)

2013 - 20 Points 

2014 - 22 Points (Wilson threw 4 INT this game) 

2015 - 20 Points

2016 - 21 Points

2019 - 20 Points

2020 - 26 Points (Pretty decent showing IMO but considering the 3 INT in the 2nd half 26 is pretty meh)

I mean I hate to say it but most of the Packers recent playoff losses have been due to pretty talented offenses with pretty talented supporting casts really underperforming. The defenses have not been great in a number of playoff losses but still you expect one of the highest paid players in the NFL to pick up the slack to an extent and he simply has folded more then put the team on his back. The Packers are to blame for the lack of superbowl appearances but Rodgers does share some of it. 

Look at the last 4 playoff losses, points scored in the first half by the offense:

2015 - 6 points

2016 - 0 points

2019 - 0 points

2020 - 10 points

Not really fast starts either for a high powered offense.

• Like 3