Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But if another team (i.e. not Green Bay) talks to a players' agent, it's tampering.  IF Las Vegas or Denver have been shown to tamper with Rodgers' agent, they're going to get punished.  Severely.

Sure but the OP was referring to Packers going after A-Rod.  

18 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Any contact by another team or to another team by an agent or player under contract is illegal tampering right? If the stories are true Rodgers and his agent are guilty so do the Packers let it go or rub their noses in it. 

@CWood21 - that’s the post I was answering to - about going after ARod.   Jeez. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

He ran out of the frying pan right into the fire switching to the Jags if that is the case. 

Exactly.  If I supposedly "ran away," I could have picked a team that didn't just go 1-15. 

Kinda funny to think about the Jordan Love pick as a self-fulfilling prophecy. It was a complete waste of a pick given they had an MVP-caliber QB on their roster already. The Packers had no need at QB, until they picked Jordan Love, which destabilized the organization to such an extent that they might now need Jordan Love. He is the solution to the problem he inadvertently caused, which either justifies the pick or makes it an all-time awful draft pick, depending on your perspective. 

Gotta feel for the kid tbh, this is almost certainly not how he envisioned his transition into the league going. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Kinda funny to think about the Jordan Love pick as a self-fulfilling prophecy. It was a complete waste of a pick given they had an MVP-caliber QB on their roster already. The Packers had no need at QB, until they picked Jordan Love, which destabilized the organization to such an extent that they might now need Jordan Love. He is the solution to the problem he inadvertently caused, which either justifies the pick or makes it an all-time awful draft pick, depending on your perspective. 

Gotta feel for the kid tbh, this is almost certainly not how he envisioned his transition into the league going. 

Rodgers hadn't played MVP level football in 3 years when the pick was made though (2016 his last MVP type year before 2020). Packers brass saw Rodgers as still a great QB but not MVP level anymore and on the downslide, and saw a young QB they liked that fell more in eh draft than they thought he would.

• Like 1

GB is a prime example of why you dont draft for the future in the 1st rd post cba, this situation only works if your qb is the reason the team is holding them back to advance. Getting you to 13-3 and the NFCCG the season prior, your response is drafting the future qb instead of taking the next step in bettering the team the next year is irresponsible and straight up cocky. With Love healthy scratch all of last year this team is likely a 7-8 win team without rodgers this year, so do you take the L and move on from Rodgers or do you suck it up and do what he wants GB to do. Not a good situation for this fanbase as they are the ones getting screwed, just like Houston fans are with the Watson/front office fued.

6 minutes ago, A_Biased_Fan said:

Rodgers hadn't played MVP level football in 3 years when the pick was made though (2016 his last MVP type year before 2020). Packers brass saw Rodgers as still a great QB but not MVP level anymore and on the downslide, and saw a young QB they liked that fell more in eh draft than they thought he would.

Yes, that's the spin. But they were clearly wrong about that, as 2020 showed. And even Rodgers' 'not-MVP' level put him comfortably in the elite category of QB's in the league leading a team that made it to the NFC title game, but the Packers FO chose to read the tea leaves in a way that made them trigger happy for transition planning - which to me looks more like the mark of a young/new GM wanting to blaze his own trail rather than something that had the makings of a fully fleshed out plan. Unless we're to believe that irreparably destroying the relationship between the HoF QB and organization was the only way to get Rodgers to play at an MVP level in 2020, it was luxury pick at the time and now it's blowing up in a not entirely unpredictable way. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

2 minutes ago, A_Biased_Fan said:

13-3 NFCCG, 4k yards, 26 to 4 td int ratio 62% completion its not MVP level stats but it certainly is top 10 qb and thats not easy to come by. Year prior 4500 yards, 25 to 2 td to int ratio with McCarthy as HC is pretty darn solid to. So its not like Rodgers is the issue on the field to move on from him with a developmental qb that was a reach from the get go and proved it by not even play back up to rodgers last year and was a healthy scratch every game

I'm having some trouble reconciling the following concepts:

• Rodgers is an aging QB, who hadn't played at an extremely high level in several years, so it made sense to draft Love both to use as a potential replacement and because it was the driving force behind his resurgence.
  • Other teams should want to trade significant amounts of high leverage assets for Aaron Rodgers, he clearly has at least 5 more years of elite play and can lead anyone who sees themselves as a contender to Super Bowls. There's no reason to worry he will regress any time soon.

The two of these don't really mesh, and very much feels like a have it both ways thing. Which one is it?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

GB is a prime example of why you dont draft for the future in the 1st rd post cba, this situation only works if your qb is the reason the team is holding them back to advance. Getting you to 13-3 and the NFCCG the season prior, your response is drafting the future qb instead of taking the next step in bettering the team the next year is irresponsible and straight up cocky. With Love healthy scratch all of last year this team is likely a 7-8 win team without rodgers this year, so do you take the L and move on from Rodgers or do you suck it up and do what he wants GB to do. Not a good situation for this fanbase as they are the ones getting screwed, just like Houston fans are with the Watson/front office fued.

Jimmy G took the Niners to the Super Bowl in 2019. If you asked anyone before this season if the Niners would be willing to trade three first round picks for the third QB selected in the draft, they would have all said absolutely not. The NFL changes.... fast.

People love to live in hindsight. If Rodgers had continued to decline and Love was ready to play, the Packers would have looked like geniuses. Hell the Packers still are committed to Rodgers for three more years! That is almost all of Love's rookie contract, and guess how old he is going to be when that contract ends... Not every QB is Tom Brady, and Rodgers game does not translate as well as Brady's if his strengths decline.

Green Bay has a philosophy on how to build their team, and I respect them for sticking to that regardless of what fans think. After dealing with a primadonna QB in Philly this offseason, I have zero sympathy for QBs who are going to make themselves bigger than the team, and I have a feeling a lot of players in that locker room probably feel similar.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Jimmy G took the Niners to the Super Bowl in 2019. If you asked anyone before this season if the Niners would be willing to trade three first round picks for the third QB selected in the draft, they would have all said absolutely not. The NFL changes.... fast.

People love to live in hindsight. If Rodgers had continued to decline and Love was ready to play, the Packers would have looked like geniuses. Hell the Packers still are committed to Rodgers for three more years! That is almost all of Love's rookie contract, and guess how old he is going to be when that contract ends... Not every QB is Tom Brady, and Rodgers game does not translate as well as Brady's if his strengths decline.

Green Bay has a philosophy on how to build their team, and I respect them for sticking to that regardless of what fans think. After dealing with a primadonna QB in Philly this offseason, I have zero sympathy for QBs who are going to make themselves bigger than the team, and I have a feeling a lot of players in that locker room probably feel similar.

Pretending that expecting Aaron Rodgers to be good is just 'hindsight' speaking is a weird way to frame this. 

If the Packers were/are actually committed to Rodgers for another 3 years and essentially the entirety of Love's rookie contract, how does that pick then actually make any sense whatsoever? 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

They wouldn't be going after Aaron.  They'd be going after Denver and Las Vegas.

They'd go after an NFC team. I'm sure tampering like this happens all the time with no one bringing it up. I'm sure the teams only care if it's a team they'd like to screw over.

7 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Pretending that expecting Aaron Rodgers to be good is just 'hindsight' speaking is a weird way to frame this. 

If the Packers were/are actually committed to Rodgers for another 3 years and essentially the entirety of Love's rookie contract, how does that pick then actually make any sense whatsoever? 

I mean I guess if you want to just ignore all context and make my post into that go for it..... The point was that things change fast. Rodgers worst season was the one before Love got drafted. As great as he is and has been, a player declining in their late 30's is not some new thing in the NFL. 

How many games did Rodgers sit before taking over for Farve? I think it was over 40 right? Guess that pick also just made no sense right... The Packers have a formula and they stick to it. Will it screw them this time? Maybe, but imo sticking to a philosophy is the best way to build a football team.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan