Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

Is he capable? Sure.

Is it a foregone conclusion that he will play elite for multiple years for another team solely because he is holding a grudge and wants to prove a point? No. 

Is it a foregone conclusion on anything?

You don't think teams are always taking calculated risks in these decisions?

If you are expecting a 100% money back guarantee,  you might end up disappointed 

On 5/3/2021 at 12:05 PM, childofpudding said:

OK, I'm caught up. I think a lot of the discussion here comes down to hindsight being 20/20.

- Rodgers was not an elite QB in 2019, and at times he looked washed. He was outside the top 10 in all of the standard and advanced passing stats (passer rating, ANY/A, QBR, DVOA, EPA/play), and the eye test confirmed it. GB using a pick to replace him down the line was reasonable, and basically in line with what they did in 2005, and what other good franchises have done in preparation for the future, ie. Patriots in 2014. Honestly I thought that Rodgers might never return to elite form based on 2019 - I was wrong. He looked as good as he ever has. None of us know for sure, but GB drafting Love certainly seemed to light a fire under Rodgers.

- The idea of going all-in for an older QB, especially one like Rodgers who seemed to be showing decline, is anything but a sure bet, and definitely not one that is universally seen as a good bet in the moment. There were plenty of experts and fans who thought that Denver signing Manning and Tampa Bay signing Brady were mistakes. I also think the idea that GB has not surrounded Rodgers with talent is a bit silly, but their defense under Rodgers has usually left much to desire, so that's a legit complaint.

- Finally, Rodgers is a bit of a drama queen, isn't he? Personally I don't think GB has any intention of blinking first. I wonder if Rodgers is so staunch in his position right now that he will sit out if he doesn't get traded.

As a neutral outsider in all of this, your post actually sums up exactly how I feel about this whole Rodgers situation. I have to side with the FO in all of this mess.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Is it a foregone conclusion on anything?

You don't think teams are always taking calculated risks in these decisions?

If you are expecting a 100% money back guarantee,  you might end up disappointed 

So to clarify, you’re saying that there’s risk and that it’d logical that teams or individuals may have reason to believe that they might get 2018-2019 Rodgers instead of the 2020 version, right?

If so, we aren’t arguing!

I’m speaking solely of those who are simultaneously saying that he was effectively sandbagging it for multiple years because he didn’t have any reason to be driven and are also dismissing anyone’s concerns of any kind that Rodgers might not be elite for the next 5+ years. My post and follow ups are solely how I don’t understand that contradiction. If you don’t think Rodgers was sandbagging it and it was something else out of his control that caused it that very likely won’t be present on whichever contender he lands on, we aren’t arguing! If you think that there is the very real possibility for potential risk involved because he might lose his motivation again, we aren’t arguing!

13 minutes ago, pwny said:

So to clarify, you’re saying that there’s risk and that it’d logical that teams or individuals may have reason to believe that they might get 2018-2019 Rodgers instead of the 2020 version, right?

If so, we aren’t arguing!

I’m speaking solely of those who are simultaneously saying that he was effectively sandbagging it for multiple years because he didn’t have any reason to be driven and are also dismissing anyone’s concerns of any kind that Rodgers might not be elite for the next 5+ years. My post and follow ups are solely how I don’t understand that contradiction. If you don’t think Rodgers was sandbagging it and it was something else out of his control that caused it that very likely won’t be present on whichever contender he lands on, we aren’t arguing! If you think that there is the very real possibility for potential risk involved because he might lose his motivation again, we aren’t arguing!

I think both Rodgers players subpar and potentially on a downward trend in the few years prior to Love being drafted is legit.

I think Rodgers having the ability to put up MVP play is also legit going forward for a couple years.

What version any team that would potentially trade for Rodgers would be getting is unknown.  Could be top 5 MVP level QB play, could be injury ( fragile collarbones) or stagnation due to a few factors.  

I personally think he would play really well 1 year, possibly 2 and then a decline becomes evident.  Good to great regular season but not quite there in the playoffs.

I posted this in the Packers forum, but I'm going to leave this here as well. This tweet also known as back pedaling by Adam Schefter:

and this story with it's opening line, do not match up one bit: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31359453/aaron-rodgers-want-return-green-bay-packers-sources-say

Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

This article/tweet was written by Adam Schefter, so what he claimed THEN versus NOW are two entirely different things. 

Edited by Nick_gb

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think some (not all) Packer fans are overestimating what a 37-38 year old QB is worth on the open market - even last year's league MVP.  Sure, he had a great season, and he could very well have 2 or 3 very good years left, but teams are also aware of the fact that Father Time catches up to all of them right around the age of 40.  Rodgers could drop off a cliff in 2-3 years.  

Packer fans all want to point to Tom Brady playing at a very high level at the age of 43.  Could Rodgers play that long?  Maybe, but history shows the odds are against him.  He could have more than 2-3 good years left, but you could also turn that around and say 2020 and maybe 2021 might just be his last hurrah before his arm goes away.  It happens to all of them. 

A good example is Brett Favre, the league's all-time great Iron Man.  He was MVP level great in 2009 at the age of 39-40.  The following season he was clearly washed up and his illustrious career was suddenly over.

For this reason, if I'm a GM, I'll expect to get great play out of Rodgers for 2-3 years, but I wouldn't be willing to pay for much more than that.  With this in mind, I think some Packer fans are overestimating what Rodgers is worth at this point in his career.  I think they are thinking to themselves how much it is going to hurt to lose him and translating that to what they think another team should consider it would be worth to get him.  I can't blame them for feeling that way.  I would probably feel the same way.  I just think their emotions may be clouding the situation a bit for them.

I would say just the distractions of his personal life alone, are enough to suggest he won't be capable of continuing his MVP level of play...

2 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

I would say just the distractions of his personal life alone, are enough to suggest he won't be capable of continuing his MVP level of play...

You could be right.  Getting married for the first time is a big transition in life.  If they have kids right away, that would be another big distraction.  Life always makes it's changes.

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

You could be right.  Getting married for the first time is a big transition in life.  If they have kids right away, that would be another big distraction.  Life always makes it's changes.

Getting married and potentially a different city to play in...Also rumors of his fiance expecting.....A lot of change in a very short time...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pwny said:

So if he’s this petty, and that’s a guaranteed driving force for him that can’t be broken, how come he wasn’t challenging for MVP in 2019? If you’re absolutely certain he’d stick it to the Packers after he left by being the best version of himself and there’s no risk, why didn’t the pettiness to show McCarthy how wrong he was about everything they fought about drive him then?

If that chance to live off of pettiness didn’t drive him because of whatever other factors were at hand in 2019, and it was only the fact that he was pushed by Love that got him back in the game, how is it pretty obvious that pettiness will drive him now?

Nice avatar pic.  :D

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Stupid post...Since those who are dedicated haven't yet, how could somebody without the same dedication and goal find such a cure?....

@squire12 caught in a scumslip. I should have known given we are 70 pages in with no charts

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I posted this in the Packers forum, but I'm going to leave this here as well. This tweet also known as back pedaling by Adam Schefter:

and this story with it's opening line, do not match up one bit: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31359453/aaron-rodgers-want-return-green-bay-packers-sources-say

This article was written by Adam Schefter, so what he claimed THEN versus NOW are two entirely different things. 

Schefter is a rat 

This article/tweet was written by Adam Schefter, so what he claimed THEN versus NOW are two entirely different things. 

how does this contradict his reports? Its exactly what he was saying all through the draft of random shows... 

• Like 1

This article was written by Adam Schefter, so what he claimed THEN versus NOW are two entirely different things. 

Yep.  Schefty doesn't drop the ball very often, but it sure looks like he jumped the gun on this one.

• Like 1