Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Funchess is the kind of guy that I would bring in to compete with Jalen Hurd and Jennings but not guarantee any money. Let him compete for a roster spot as a wr 3/4/5

He has entered 2017 - 2018 Jordan Matthews territory to me. 

Yes, being another full year removed from football his value is less than it was 15 months ago, even.

Nobody is arguing that.

In 2019 he was paid like an average #1 WR by Indianapolis on a 1 year deal.

In 2020 he was paid like a bottom-end #3 WR by GB on a 1 year deal.

He's a former #1 WR who produced like an average #2 in his last 2 healthy seasons that GB signed for low-end #3 money 15 months ago. Very low risk signing with #2 WR upside.

How this is confusing for others is beyond me.

I really think that GB should bring in as many #1 wrs they can and just stack the team with weapons. Kelvin Benjamin, Marquise Lee, Harry Douglas... you know.... those real #1 type Wrs. Heck, someone mentioned Jordan Matthews, from 2014-16 he was averaging 900 yards/year. A high end #2 just waiting to be signed, GB needs to get on that.

• Like 2

Funchess was a #1 receiver for 8 games because someone else on his team got traded and the next best wide receiver had 200 yards for the entire season. 

Claiming him as a former #1 receiver is wildly disingenuous. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

Funchess was a #1 receiver for 8 games because someone else on his team got hurt and the next best wide receiver had 200 yards for the entire season. 

No dude, I dont think you understand. Just looks at his stats from 2017. My point is now made, why are we even arguing this. 

I mean, can yo imagine Gb with Funchess AND Kelvin Benjamin (a former #1). I dont even know if thats stoppable.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

Funchess was a #1 receiver for 8 games because someone else on his team got hurt and the next best wide receiver had 200 yards for the entire season. 

Calling a WR who was #1 on his team in catches, yards and TDs a "former" #1 WR is...disingenuous? Lolwut

it's a 100% genuine description of his "former" role because that's exactly what he was...

85 rec, 928 yds, 8 TDs during his inarguable #1 WR role in Carolina between 2nd half of 2017 and 1st half of 2018 (book-ended by Benjamin and Moore)

He very literally was their #1 WR for more than 25% of his career with that team...

He was obviously a low-end #1, but he was good enough to produce against #1 opposing CBs during that time. 

21 minutes ago, pwny said:

100%. The amount someone gets paid, or them being #1 on a depth chart does not make them a WR1…. Funchess and WR1 should not belong in the same sentence. The guy is a Mid Tier WR3, maybe a Low Tier WR2 if you want to really argue. Anyone can get 900 yards if they are like the only WR option on the team. 

There is not even 32 WR1’s in the NFL. There is probably like half that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

100%. The amount someone gets paid, or them being #1 on a depth chart does not make them a WR1…. Funchess and WR1 should not belong in the same sentence. The guy is a Mid Tier WR3, maybe a Low Tier WR2 if you want to really argue. Anyone can get 900 yards if they are like the only WR option on the team. 

There is not even 32 WR1’s in the NFL. There is probably like half that. 

jesus people

we're talking about 2017/2018 not 2021. NOBODY IS SAYING FUNCHES IS A #1 WR TODAY. NOBODY SAID ANYTHING ABOUT HIM BEING A #1 WR BECAUSE OF HOW HE WAS PAID OR WHERE HE WAS ON THE DEPTH CHART.

I LITERALLY SAID HE'S A #3/4 WITH #2 UPSIDE CURRENTLY. And that, when signed 15 months ago, he had #2 WR UPSIDE because he had produced like one (while operating against #1 CBs) for more than a full seasons' worth of games in Carolina.

Also, strongly, strongly disagree with your definition of a #1 WR. There are LITERALLY 32 #1 WRs in the NFL. Each team has a #1 WR. Some team's #2 WRs are better than some team's #1 WR. You need an objective measurement to define what a #1 WR is if you're using a different definition, otherwise it's all muddled and meaningless.

Edited by incognito_man

Just now, incognito_man said:

jesus people

we're talking about 2017/2018 not 2021. NOBODY IS SAYING FUNCHES IS A #1 WR TODAY.

I LITERALLY SAID HE'S A #3/4 WITH #2 UPSIDE CURRENTLY. And that, when signed 15 months ago, he had #2 WR UPSIDE because he had produced like one (while operating against #1 CBs) for more than a full seasons' worth of games in Carolina.

Also, strongly, strongly disagree with your definition of a #1 WR. There are LITERALLY 32 #1 WRs in the NFL. Each team has a #1 WR. Some team's #2 WRs are better than some team's #1 WR. You need an objective measurement to define what a #1 WR is if you're using a different definition, otherwise it's all muddled and meaningless.

He has never been a WR1. Ever. Getting 900 yards, especially being the #1 on the depth chart by default cause of injuries and other reasons, does not change that. His skill level is a Mid Tier WR3. 

You seem to be solely stat based. Anyone can get 900 yards and lead a team in receptions if they are one of the only sole options. It is not an indicator of being a WR1….

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

No way would I classify 32 receivers in this league as a WR 1. 

Once you get down to that 25 range, you're talking about guys like Cole Beasley. 

I get that you're going to use the "literally" part of your comment, but that's clinging to some thin fabric when you have to go with the a very semantics based argument. I'm not going to fight you on the "literal" part of your argument, though I think that is probably what Pwny meant by a disingenuous argument. 

Terry Kirby in 1996 led the 49ers with 550 yards rushing at 4.2 yard per clip. I wouldn't consider him an "RB1". 

• Like 4

Just now, BayRaider said:

He has never been a WR1. Ever. Getting 900 yards, especially being the #1 on the depth chart by default cause of injuries and other reasons, does not change that. His skill level is a Mid Tier WR3. 

You seem to be solely stat based. Anyone can get 900 yards and lead a team in receptions if they are one of the only sole options. It is not an indicator of being a WR1….

he literally was Carolina's #1 WR for more than a full season lol

stop being so, so, SO obtuse

I don't care how you define what a WR1 is. He was WR1 in Carolina. Carolina thought he was a #1 WR. They threw him the ball more than every other WR on the roster for a stretch of his career. He was a #1 WR in 2nd half of 2017 and first half of 2018 in Carolina. During that time he outproduced all other WRs on their roster. He drew the best coverage of their opponents because he was their #1 option.

In 2017 there were 22 WRs who had 900 yds receiving.

In 2018 there were 23 WRs who had 900 yds receiving.

This is reality, not fantasy football. There are 32 teams that talent is spread across, not 10. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Once you get down to that 25 range, you're talking about guys like Cole Beasley 

Hey hey, not everyone can be Breshad Perriman...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Once you get down to that 25 range, you're talking about guys like Cole Beasley 

This is the ACTUAL NFL, not fantasy football.

I swear to god fantasy football has straight WRECKED people's perception of what reality looks like.

This is 100% a fantasy football take. Every.Single.Real.Person.In.The.NFL.Would.Disagree.With.This.100%

Just now, incognito_man said:

This is the ACTUAL NFL, not fantasy football.

I swear to god fantasy football has straight WRECKED people's perception of what reality looks like.

This is 100% a fantasy football take. Every.Single.Real.Person.In.The.NFL.Would.Disagree.With.This.100%

Yep, that's what it is. 

Remember that year that Rod Streater was a WR1 in 2013? Good times. 

• Like 1