A fix for our defense?

bucsfan333

It was talked about quite a bit in the off-season as a wrinkle we might throw in during the regular season. Beat writers even talked about seeing it a little bit in practices. 

Our defense sucks right now. Our dline is getting ZERO pressure, excluding McCoy. So it would make sense to take one guy out for another faster EDGE guy. Or at least allow us to get three good LBs on the field at the same time more often.

I would imagine the alignment looking something like (right to left):

Spence-Kwon-Beckwith-David

Ayers-Baker-McCoy

With the way we seem to be blitzing David off the edge (too much, in my opinion), this seems like a fairly viable option. It would keep our best defenders on the field up front (Kwon, David, Beck, and McCoy). And it would get more speed on the field.

We could even bring in Ward as a LB and play Conte and Tandy at safety.

But would it work? That's the question. The 3/4's biggest strength is that it disguises blitzes pretty effectively. We don't blitz a whole lot right now. But that needs to change since our base defense generates no pressure.

Discuss.

11 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I think we have the 3-4 personnel and probably the best defense to be running right now. Ghostin, baker, ayers are good fits in the 3-4. McCoy could play the position as well. Spence is a perfect edge player and will excel their in my opinion. 

I think the biggest issue we have is the lack of speed on the outside. Spence is it. Imagine if we took Leonard Floyd instead of trading down and taking VHIII. But whatever.

Will be interesting to see...   This could also help Spence out as he can stand up instead of having his hand in the dirt.  Not sure it would help but its possible.  I think they need to try something though and this seems good and as @bucsfan333 pointed out you can also go Big Nickel 3-3-5 with an extra safety.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Hargreaves gives up over 80 yards per game, which is insane. He's on pace to give up almost 1,300 yards this year. And he's only gotten his hand on ONE pass all year.

Yea I read that somewhere and its crazy...   After that INT in the preseason looked like he would do better lol.

Just now, sryan66611 said:

Yea I read that somewhere and its crazy...   After that INT in the preseason looked like he would do better lol.

I thought he was gonna turn it around after the preseason. He was aggressive af and was making plays. Then week one came around and something happened.

I have never been a huge 3-4 fan, probably because I like more traditional football, whatever that means. However, with how awful we are defensively and how the league has evolved, it would probably really help. I'm not concerned with McCoy having struggles in a new alignment. He is an all pro and will adjust. The comment on better disguising bilizes and the D is why we need to do it. We are too predictable and can't get to the QB. I think a 3-4 would help that. Make Spence our poor man's Von Miller. Also, yes, put Ryan Smith outside and VH3 in slot. He literally can't be worse.

With Koetter bringing up the 3-4 and most our guys healthy finally, I bet we see them experiment with it more this week. If they like what they see, as the season goes on, I bet it becomes our new base D. Good thing we have Baker, cuz he fits the NT perfectly.

Not sure if a formation alignment will help much. 3-4 is great when teams don't know who is rushing who is playing coverage. I doubt teams are going to be confused about who is coming and who isn't because it'll be obvious. When you have a 3-4 OLB that can drop in coverage yeah, it can cause confusion because the teams don't know who is coming but Spence/Ayers just don't have it. I say try it in game like we have been doing. Maybe it'll catch teams off guard for a couple of plays but I doubt it'll be a season changing thing because the personnel just isn't there. We'll need Ayers, Spence, or Russell to step their game up or the season is toast.

First, I think the safety rotation garbage has to stop.  There is a glaring problem with organization with the secondary, please stop rotating.  Exclusively play Evans at FS and settle on one guy.  I would prefer Ward because he is a better run  defender and close enough to Conte in pass coverage,

They insist on playing GMC 90% of the defensive snaps.  Is it coincidence that most times he flashes is in the 1st half.  This is not a knock on him, but playing him over 50 snaps a game is stupid when McDonald and Baker are healthy.   They really need to self scout hard.  The 3rd down conversion rate is horrible,  and as others have mentioned it is not 3rd and 2.  So the first 2 downs are okay,  but 3rd down is brutal.  

I can give Alexander a pass for last week, but this week he has to show he is top 5 LB.

Archived