2021 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Tetsujin

First off, here is my shadow draft at each spot the Fins picked:

1.  Jaylen Waddle

2.  Kwity Paye

3.  Tevin Jenkins - I didn't have the news that he has a hip thing going on at the time, but I want to be honest and say this was the guy I "shadow drafted"

4.  Creed Humphrey

5.  Jabril Cox

6.  Kylin Hill

7.  Marvin Wilson

• Like 1

Now for the actual draft:

Jaylen Waddle - Love the player, love the value.  Fins supposedly had him as the #2 player in the draft, behind only Lawrence.  He's exactly what the offense needed, and if they so choose, his terrific return ability will allow the team to jettison Jakeem Grant and his stone hands.

Jaelen Phillips - There is no doubting the upside.  He's quite easily the best edge player in the entire draft in terms of talent alone.  But that concussion history man, I just don't know.  I would have gone the "safer" route with Kwity Paye.  But I guess it's nice to see the team swinging for the fences a bit, rather than in previous picks where they went the "safe" route and ended up with guys like Charles Harris.

Jevon Holland - I was quite shocked when he was the pick, as I'm sure most of you were as well.  But not only is Holland a PERFECT fit for Flores's defense, but he makes it so Rowe or McCain can be let go; saving millions in the process.  This move is just as much about 2022 as it is 2021, IMO.  Brilliant planning ahead here and it's not like Holland won't have a positive impact this season either.

Liam Eichenberg - I preferred Dillon Radunz or Creed Humphrey here, but I can at least get on board with it being an OLineman.  ND knows how to coach up OL, so that's obviously a huge plus.  Eichenberg has short arms though, which make me question just how great he will be at RT.  I didn't like the trade up there, either.  Too rich for me.  I appreciate that they got "their guy" but it seemed like others didn't have to give up as much for similar jumps.

Hunter Long - The other pick that I didn't see coming at all.  I HATED this one, until I realized that both Gesicki and Smythe are FAs after this year.  TE is one of the hardest positions to have an impact at during your rookie year.  So what did the Fins do?  They took a solid TE prospect a year before they needed to, so that he could actually be a theoretical contributor in his 2nd year; replacing Gesicki, Smythe, or both and saving the team millions in the process.  I'm personally fine with letting both walk after this year and netting comp picks (assuming Long makes progress).  Long, Shaheen, and a 3rd FA TE is perfectly fine.  

I loved the trade of the 5th rounder for a 2022 4th rounder.  Do this every year if possible.

Larnel Coleman - No idea who he is, but I will never argue with developmental OL with a 7th rounder.

Gerrid Doaks - I don't love him, but he's a big guy and catches the ball well.  I much preferred Kylin Hill who was still available.

Pretty stoked to see a receiver picked first, and Waddle is good. Didn't really care if it was Pitts/Chase/Waddle/Smith, just wanted a highly touted receiver. If they had taken o-line at #6 I would have vomited. This low-scoring offense desperately needed playmakers. 

Started laughing when the next two picks were defense. This guy Flores loves defense. Yet another secondary guy, Flores loves secondary. 

O-line got some love eventually. This is good. 

Hunter Long totally shocked me. I was like "TE?!? Didn't Miami just used a 2nd AND a 4th picking two different TE's in the same draft?" But then you remember that wasn't yesterday, and those guys are both 4th-year dudes. With one of them making great catches often, and one of them not. 

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

With Parker due a bunch of money with low dead money in 2022, I don’t think getting a WR early next draft is out of the question. 

And Fuller only on a one-year deal. Haha, we already thinking about the 2022 draft. 

LB, WR, Center?

14 hours ago, FinSting said:

And Fuller only on a one-year deal. Haha, we already thinking about the 2022 draft. 

LB, WR, Center?

Fuller/Ogbah/Gesiki/Smythe/Skura/Brissett/Malcolm Brown are the notable FAs.  Of course there will always be guys that break out and guys that regress or fail to develop.

I love the first round picks. there was a report that we were trying to trade back into the first together ahead of Pittsburgh to take Najee and if that had happened it would have made the draft for me. Unfortunately it didn't happen, then in the second round we get leap frogged by Denver and just like last year when Baltimore took Dobbins one pick ahead of us that was heartbreaking. Javonte and Najee were by far my favorite running backs. Then in third round we take a TE???? What the hell were they thinking? there were so many better options at positions of need that were available, rhamondre Stevenson, Michael Carter, Quinn Meinerz, Dayvion Nixon, I mean TE is the last position we need right now and to spend a 3rd round pick on a guy who probably wont see the field this year is ridiculous. Unless long turns out to be the next Kelce or Kittle I will forever hate that pick, it soured the whole draft for me. Also I really wanted hufanga if we took a safety but I do love holland, just wish we woulda taken another edge rusher where we took holland and took hufanga a little later in the draft. basically I really hate that hunter long pick.

4 hours ago, Jdolphins18 said:

I love the first round picks. there was a report that we were trying to trade back into the first together ahead of Pittsburgh to take Najee and if that had happened it would have made the draft for me. Unfortunately it didn't happen, then in the second round we get leap frogged by Denver and just like last year when Baltimore took Dobbins one pick ahead of us that was heartbreaking. Javonte and Najee were by far my favorite running backs. Then in third round we take a TE???? What the hell were they thinking? there were so many better options at positions of need that were available, rhamondre Stevenson, Michael Carter, Quinn Meinerz, Dayvion Nixon, I mean TE is the last position we need right now and to spend a 3rd round pick on a guy who probably wont see the field this year is ridiculous. Unless long turns out to be the next Kelce or Kittle I will forever hate that pick, it soured the whole draft for me. Also I really wanted hufanga if we took a safety but I do love holland, just wish we woulda taken another edge rusher where we took holland and took hufanga a little later in the draft. basically I really hate that hunter long pick.

Just wait until Waddle gets out there with Fuller.  Defenses are gonna have a hard time with that combo.