GDT - NFL Draft

WizardHawk

Yeah I think my issue was how the process led us to this decision where the lack of an obvious fit exists. 

I'll give Quinn this though. As a head coach I'm sure he's had his fair share of decisions to make in selecting & the sins of the past with DC picking are not his sins. 

Ultimately, I hope wright is the next Sherman. I expect though Wright will have a challenging time making the roster - and that's brutal for a day2 pick. 

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Should that picked had been JOK?

Probably not after drafting Micah. And especially knowing what a steal they got at linebacker with Cox at #115. I probably wouldn’t have gone that direction, as much as I love JOK.

They absolutely had to get a cornerback ready to start day 1, and if they felt like Joseph was the last one of those guys, then I don’t hate the decision-making. But with Joseph and Adebo on the board, I would have been aggressive. Small trade up for Moehrig, followed by a trade up for Joseph or Adebo (I know Adebo fell, but you can’t sit and wait in that scenario).

Leave the draft with Parsons, Moehrig, Adebo, Osa? Pretty nice haul.

My biggest beef with this draft is we drafted 11 players.  No way did we need 11 players.    If we didn't want to package picks to move up and get guys like Alim McNeil or Moehrig,  we could have at least traded a couple of the later to get a couple 2022 picks.  

• Like 1

If Joseph performs to the level of Diggs and Parsons is an improvement on the field over Smith and LVE, I would give this draft an A.  So far from what I've heard Joseph skill wise is as good as any of the other CB on the board at no44.   Thus it all comes down to how much drive does Joseph have to be a NFL player.   

IT will be interesting to see how this plays out with Wright. Wright almost is guaranteed a roster spot.  My problem though is I expect third round picks to have a impact on game day. Right now it is not a guarantee that Wright will even play yet on game day.

One thing is for sure, if this D struggles again this upcoming year and there is not a plethora of injuries then Quinn and McCarthy should be in big trouble this upcoming offseason. There can be zero excuses as this is now officially a Quinn D after adding 6 players to the D in the first 115 picks of the draft.    

So what are the odds right no all 11 make the final roster, I have it 50/50 with Mukuamu being the closest right now to not making it followed by WR Fehoko. Sense we are real light at C, I think the odds are good Farniok makes it as back up center/guard. 

9 hours ago, quiller said:

If Joseph performs to the level of Diggs and Parsons is an improvement on the field over Smith and LVE, I would give this draft an A.  So far from what I've heard Joseph skill wise is as good as any of the other CB on the board at no44.   Thus it all comes down to how much drive does Joseph have to be a NFL player.   

IT will be interesting to see how this plays out with Wright. Wright almost is guaranteed a roster spot.  My problem though is I expect third round picks to have a impact on game day. Right now it is not a guarantee that Wright will even play yet on game day.

One thing is for sure, if this D struggles again this upcoming year and there is not a plethora of injuries then Quinn and McCarthy should be in big trouble this upcoming offseason. There can be zero excuses as this is now officially a Quinn D after adding 6 players to the D in the first 115 picks of the draft.    

So what are the odds right no all 11 make the final roster, I have it 50/50 with Mukuamu being the closest right now to not making it followed by WR Fehoko. Sense we are real light at C, I think the odds are good Farniok makes it as back up center/guard. 

New scheme and a bunch of new players(rookies) on D.  Its gonna take time.  Hopefully they play better in the 2nd half.

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I hadn’t seen this. I didn’t get it then. Don’t get it now even more.

Beyond length, what is there? 

I think it should be compared to Sherman... Some of it is identical. Others leave more to be desired. Also the 5th vs 3rd argument can't be helped. 

5 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I hadn’t seen this. I didn’t get it then. Don’t get it now even more.

Beyond length, what is there? 

I say this as perhaps the biggest hater of the Nahshon pick...

For ~98% of players, RAS is an already iffy (but interesting) measure of athletic ability, that should be taken with a reasonable dose of salt and only used as one data point.

When you really get to the fringes, 2+ standard deviations, on the size component (extra small or extra large), RAS becomes virtually unusable.

That said, being a 6-4 corner makes you an outlier for a reason. Because it’s really hard at the position to have success in the NFL at that size/length. 

Well the Wright pic, Joseph pic and Cox pick  will probably define  Quinn's tenure with the Cowboys. 

Will Joseph out perform Samuel Jr or Adebo the only other options here. 

While yes I think it was a huge reach taking Wright in the third, but if not Wright then the pic probably would have been Cox as Molden, Melifonwu, Thomas and Stephens all do not empress me. And sense a CB with about the same rating as Wright (Darren Hall) went before we even picked Cox in round 4 it sounds like they figured things right in taking Wright before Cox. 

Edited by quiller

I think we are getting obsessively lost in the metrics here with wright. He has size and ball skills, Quinn must feel he can put him in a position to succeed with this zone scheme. 

Some players are very scheme versatile which makes these players high picks in the draft, but players like Wright are very dependent on a scheme like LoB style defenses of the SB hawks back in the day.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

15 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I think we are getting obsessively lost in the metrics here with wright. He has size and ball skills, Quinn must feel he can put him in a position to succeed with this zone scheme. 

Some players are very scheme versatile which makes these players high picks in the draft, but players like Wright are very dependent on a scheme like LoB style defenses of the SB hawks back in the day.

You can’t make the size comparison here because CBs generally aren’t that tall. It typically negatively impacts their play on the field, so we actually have no idea how he may translate to the NFL.

6 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

You can’t make the size comparison here because CBs generally aren’t that tall. It typically negatively impacts their play on the field, so we actually have no idea how he may translate to the NFL.

He's going to have to play strictly on the outside. That pick could've been used to get a talented free safety, something this team desperately needed.

I hope Wright pans out against all of the odds.