2021: 01.02 - Jets select QB Zach Wilson

Bianconero

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I like 2 more than 1 for a number

Forget the number I think Zach looks like he should be a qb for the Jets.

Obvs same could of been said for Sanchez too but Darnold always reminded me of the actor who played Dexter!! Zach looks like a quarterback for a NY team with big endorsement deals etc!

• Like 1

He seems like a "gamer."  Darnold was more laid back, which I thought is what was needed to succeed in NY.  But at least we can expect Wilson to perform similar to Baker Mayfield IMO.  If he doesn't end up a stud QB I think he can still put up numbers and be the QB of a playoff team.

• Like 1

I always found the "talent" argument interesting for QB's. Yea, he didnt play against the most talented teams but it's not as though all those guys know BYU were drafted.  They had talent too but my point is that level of competition is relative to the talent you are playing with. 

Zach wasnt playing with power 5 conference talent around him. Its the same for a guy like Mac Jones. Bama played better teams but like BYU the combined talent was moreso of the opponent... even if its incredibly more talent, the level of competition should still be relative. 

• Like 1

I've preached that the surrounding talent and coaching a QB is going into is more important than the QBs talent. And we've messed this up for years and years now. Finally we're giving a young QB talent to work with. WRs in Davis, Moore, Mims, Crowder, Cole is great. An OL that's legit in Becton, AVT, McGovern, GVR, Fant. A RB room with Carter, Perine, Johnson and Coleman (I'm sure 1 of these guys wont be suiting up, but still). And a TE group of Herndon, Yeboah, Knox and Griffin.

These are tools for Wilson to succeed. We've never done this.

Now it's on the coaching to match the FO. JD did his part. Now you do yours.

Simplify the game for Wilson. Give him easy throws early in games to get him in a rhythm. Work in play action since he likes throwing on the run. Cater to what we have. Don't fit a square peg into a round hole.