2021: 01.02 - Jets select QB Zach Wilson

Bianconero

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

HOW DO WE KNOW Wilson, won't put up decent numbers?  Wentz, Goff, & Mahomes, Jackson all did it in their rookie year why can't Wilson do it? Wilson is coming in as highly rated as any of the above players. We just have to wait and see, it makes no sense beating this topic to death for the next three months.

Bro Goff sucked his rookie year, Mahomes played 1 game his rookie year and Carson put up some yards but that was about it

The thing is is everything is new for us. So expectations can’t be too ridiculous. We have a very young team, especially on offense now. We can’t think Wilson will put up Russell Wilson numbers as a rookie. What I care more about is him not turning the ball over and adjusting to the speed of the game. BYU to the NFL is a big jump. It’s not Bama to NFL. So there will be a learning curve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

BYU to the NFL is a big jump. It’s not Bama to NFL. So there will be a learning curve.

I won’t argue that point. But I find it kind of ironic that the only successful QB’s from Bama that played in the NFL in the 50’s and 60’s. Namath being the latest. At least BYU had two guys from our lifetimes in Young and McMahon (there are only a couple of us that actually watched Namath and Stabler). Maybe even Taysom Hill but that is a stretch. Jury still out on Tua and Hurts.

The point is that big time programs don’t always produce NFL QB’s. Why is that?

I hope Zach Wilson does soe great things for the Jets and brings a ring to the Jets but I'm VERY worrried about him. I don't care who is coaching or playing QB the Jets have had one of the worse records for rookie QB's. That last rookie QB to do anything was Sanchez and before that Pennington. Wilson MUST sit for the year. I think throwing him in is first year is a MASSIVE mistake. We keep doing this and it blows up everytime. I think grabbing a guy like Fitz would have been great. He could have run the system for 1 year and helping Wilson with the system. He would only be on the field if Fitz got hurt. Then when Fitz is back Wilson goes back to the bench no question unless Wilson is outstanding during those games. I'm sorry but I just see another bust and wasted money and picks again. The best move would have been to keep Sam for another year see what he does and if he did well sign him to a long term deal ad if he did bacd draft yoiur QB next year with those 2 first round picks. I think the Jets made a BIG mistake by starting Wilson week 1. I hope I'm wrong but history deos not lie and our history is REALLY bad with rookie QB's. 

24 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

hope I'm wrong but history deos not lie and our history is REALLY bad with rookie QB's. 

I can certainly understand your despair. As Jet fans we expect theses things because they have always happened.

But here is why I have hope this time. We are building an O around the rookie QB. When was the last time we did that?  How about never. Our GM and coaching staff understand this. When was the last time we could say that?  I agree that Zach should not start week 1. Too much to learn and too little time. But, if our OC can make it easier on him by installing concepts he is already familiar with, that will help ease the transition. Indications are that is what will happen. Zach has said that he ran some of those concepts at BYU.

I don’t expect great things in year one, but I think the Jets have a FO and coaching staff that finally get it. This is something I have not been able to say in like forever. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I won’t argue that point. But I find it kind of ironic that the only successful QB’s from Bama that played in the NFL in the 50’s and 60’s. Namath being the latest. At least BYU had two guys from our lifetimes in Young and McMahon (there are only a couple of us that actually watched Namath and Stabler). Maybe even Taysom Hill but that is a stretch. Jury still out on Tua and Hurts.

The point is that big time programs don’t always produce NFL QB’s. Why is that?

Well let’s be real though... who have they had that was supposed to be good in recent years?

Tua and now Jones. Anyone else was mid late round guys, that weren’t supposed to be great.

Where a guy went to school has little to do with their actual talent. But certain schools do make the learning curve to the nfl easier.

Wilson will likely start early based on the fact there isn't a vet QB available that is clearly better than him or could hold the starting position for long. I think he'll adapt just fine. The biggest thing that helps is that we're not having a lot of competition battles on offense that could delay his chemistry building. We know who will be the starters for most of the positions. He will know who he needs to build with this summer. 

He is also familiar with the system we're running, so the transition will be a little easier for him. I'm glad JD/Saleh are building the team with a balanced approach so we're not asking Wilson to score 35 a game to win early in his career. 

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Teams that play other top teams. Those players are better equipped for the NFL. Doesn’t make their talent better. Just better prepared for the nfl

So why do those guys consistently fail when adapting to the NFL. 

I think what holds guys back the most are their college schemes and the defenses they play against.

They get so used to simplified concepts on both sides of the ball that by nature they develop habits that are hard to break. 

It’s like Trent Richardson, he’s a Running Back but he was so used to running through massive holes he never had to rely on his own vision. He gets to the pros and he can’t find a hole when he has to do it himself.