2021: 01.02 - Jets select QB Zach Wilson

Bianconero

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So why do those guys consistently fail when adapting to the NFL. 

I think what holds guys back the most are their college schemes and the defenses they play against.

They get so used to simplified concepts on both sides of the ball that by nature they develop habits that are hard to break. 

It’s like Trent Richardson, he’s a Running Back but he was so used to running through massive holes he never had to rely on his own vision. He gets to the pros and he can’t find a hole when he has to do it himself. 

It's no secret that the situation a player is going into is vastly more important than the actual players talent.

I have no question that Darnold will look good this year. No he wont be incredible... but he will be good. Bc he's in a WAY better situation than he was when he was here. We ruined Sam. Not Sam ruined his chance with us. This is why I've preached for years that we need to invest in the offense. Bc quite frankly it doesn't matter who our QB is if we don't make the surroundings better. Luckily for us JD gets it. And has transformed this offense in 2 off-season's. How good these guys are in the NFL, we don't know yet. But he did his part as of now.

But players that play NFL caliber players and are getting better coaching are more equipped to that jump to the NFL. As I continue to say... that doesn't mean they're better than a smaller school guy. It just means they're more equipped.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

It's no secret that the situation a player is going into is vastly more important than the actual players talent.

I have no question that Darnold will look good this year. No he wont be incredible... but he will be good. Bc he's in a WAY better situation than he was when he was here. We ruined Sam. Not Sam ruined his chance with us. This is why I've preached for years that we need to invest in the offense. Bc quite frankly it doesn't matter who our QB is if we don't make the surroundings better. Luckily for us JD gets it. And has transformed this offense in 2 off-season's. How good these guys are in the NFL, we don't know yet. But he did his part as of now.

But players that play NFL caliber players and are getting better coaching are more equipped to that jump to the NFL. As I continue to say... that doesn't mean they're better than a smaller school guy. It just means they're more equipped.

If a player is only good under great circumstances then they simply aren’t a good enough player. Either way my point is about preparation for the pros, the college game is very watered down schematically. There aren’t many schools using pro style concepts. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

It’s like Trent Richardson, he’s a Running Back but he was so used to running through massive holes he never had to rely on his own vision. He gets to the pros and he can’t find a hole when he has to do it himself. 

It’s funny you bring up Richardson. Bama RB’s tend to do very well in the NFL as opposed to QB and CB. I think Bama WR’s tend to do fairly well, also. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I see your point. Playing for too coaches at a top program playing in front of 100k fans who expect nothing less than a W makes the emotional transition to the NFL a little easier. Zach coming from BYU is in a for a bit of a culture shock.

The other side of the coin is that an individual player in a top program may have his deficiencies masked because of all the surrounding talent on his team. I read somewhere that the reason Bama CB’s look so good at Bama but maybe less so than in the pros is because of Bama’s DB coach and the scheme they play in. You can’t see their deficiencies.

Regardless, it is two different debates. Being emotionally ready for the big lights vs talent deficiency masking.  It will be interesting watching Wilson’s, Fields, and Lawrence’s career progress.

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

It’s funny you bring up Richardson. Bama RB’s tend to do very well in the NFL as opposed to QB and CB. I think Bama WR’s tend to do fairly well, also. 

As of late Bama players have begun playing better in the pros but Richardson was a "cant miss" guy who missed badly lol

Just now, xrade said:

I see your point. Playing for too coaches at a top program playing in front of 100k fans who expect nothing less than a W makes the emotional transition to the NFL a little easier. Zach coming from BYU is in a for a bit of a culture shock.

The other side of the coin is that an individual player in a top program may have his deficiencies masked because of all the surrounding talent on his team. I read somewhere that the reason Bama CB’s look so good at Bama but maybe less so than in the pros is because of Bama’s DB coach and the scheme they play in. You can’t see their deficiencies.

Regardless, it is two different debates. Being emotionally ready for the big lights vs talent deficiency masking.  It will be interesting watching Wilson’s, Fields, and Lawrence’s career progress.

Adversity is important because they'll face it in the pros. A guy like Lawrence didn't have much of it, he only lost 2 games in his college career. I actually dont recall him ever going on the road into a powerhouse school and having to battle for a win. His biggest games were on neutral fields. 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

As of late Bama players have begun playing better in the pros but Richardson was a "cant miss" guy who missed badly lol

He also had a good first season, then hard crash. When I read about a “can’t miss” prospect, I quickly move on from the article. I have begun to become very skeptical of all the verbiage being spewed about prospects. You can also include “franchise QB”, “generational player”, “10 year OT”, etc. 

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

He also had a good first season, then hard crash. When I read about a “can’t miss” prospect, I quickly move on from the article. I have begun to become very skeptical of all the verbiage being spewed about prospects. You can also include “franchise QB”, “generational player”, “10 year OT”, etc. 

So many generational prospects in the past few years. Chance Warmack was a generational OG. Dude bombed so hard. 

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Adversity is important because they'll face it in the pros. A guy like Lawrence didn't have much of it, he only lost 2 games in his college career. I actually dont recall him ever going on the road into a powerhouse school and having to battle for a win. His biggest games were on neutral fields. 

Another very good point that we as fans may not take into account as seriously as we should. JA wanted out in large part to the losing. Jordan Jenkins complained about it. I am sure there were others. The point is how hard is a player going to try if the outcome is losing more often than winning. It has to affect you. 

10 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So many generational prospects in the past few years. Chance Warmack was a generational OG. Dude bombed so hard. 

Jonathan Cooper bomber as a guard that same year too.