Penei Sewell OT selected 7th overall

Louis Friend

Just now, ManeLine said:

As for the LT debate, I'm sure Decker will start the season there, but if Sewell proves to be the better player then no reason he shouldn't gradually make his way over to the left side. 

I agree. must start the vet. until proven. which could easily be weeks...

1 hour ago, NFL_Fan said:

if im detroit I think about Decker at G. but im crazy 🤪 im thinking longterm to keep decker here for 8 more years. 

Its a double-edged sword to have someone performing like Taylor Decker at LT and then add Sewell.  I don't see decker moving to G.  He is may not have the power to deal with DTs.

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

No need to move Decker inside. We need two tackles, we have two good tackles now. We have a pro bowl center and a promising G in Jonah. It's the other guard spot up for grabs and then depth behind them. 

Yup. Decker at Guard is crazy given he has been a top 10 LT in the league.  He just signed a long term deal so he will be here a while anyways. 

I hope that one of Vaitai, Sternberg, or Crosby take off with that other OG spot.  Or we draft Meinerz or Wyatt this year and just be set on our O line for 4 years at least.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NFL_Fan said:

personally think decker is average. personally would want sewell at LT. Draft a RT next year. move decker to lg. jonah to RG. Ragnow at center. but thats just me. dont forget im craazy

I get we all have opinions, and I have always been down on Decker, but his play says otherwise.  I agree I think Sewell has a higher ceiling at LT than Decker does but Decker has been a very good LT the last two years.  You can't hold onto thoughts of his from 3 or 4 years ago because he has greatly outplayed his sophomore and junior seasons.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get we all have opinions, and I have always been down on Decker, but his play says otherwise.  I agree I think Sewell has a higher ceiling at LT than Decker does but Decker has been a very good LT the last two years.  You can't hold onto thoughts of his from 3 or 4 years ago because he has greatly outplayed his sophomore and junior seasons.  

so you want Decker to be our LT for next 7 years? 

Edited by NFL_Fan

Just now, NFL_Fan said:

I want Decker at a tackle spot for 7 years if he keeps playing the way he has.  If thats at LT so be it because I would take a top 10 LT (he was top 5 in 2019) and a top 5 RT any day of the week.  I think Sewell has a higher ceiling at LT than Decker does, and would probably flip them at some point, but if it works with Sewell at RT, I have no problem keeping him there and Decker at LT.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

If he plays as a top 10 LT like he has the last two seasons? ABSOLUTELY!! 

LT- Top 10

LG- damn good

C- Top 3- Pro bowl 

RG- ??????????

RT- Top 5-10- possibly pro bowl

Why would I rearrange that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I want Decker at a tackle spot for 7 years if he keeps playing the way he has.  If thats at LT so be it because I would take a top 10 LT (he was top 5 in 2019) and a top 5 RT any day of the week.  I think Sewell has a higher ceiling at LT than Decker does, and would probably flip them at some point, but if it works with Sewell at RT, I have no problem keeping him there and Decker at LT.  

Where do you have he was top 5? been looking for tackles statistics but you either have to pay or its opinion like BR or something 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm with Sllim on this. LT is still a premier position but RT isn't far behind these days. With the way that defenses are moving guys around, you need two strong guys on both sides of the line. If Sewell stays at RT and becomes a future HOFer there, who really cares. We're going to need to address the RG spot at some point but Vaitai is good enough there where we don't need to reach on someone. 

Outside of a trade down, this was the best and most obvious choice. Fields COULD become the best QB in this group but there was a reason he slipped. I'd rather build the team up and then add the QB as opposed to having the QB and then trying to put things together for him without destroying him along the way. An elite talent on the OL is the first piece. 

• Like 1