2021 1st Round Pick - 1.12 - Micah Parsons LB, Penn State

D82

3 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I think @Nextyearfordaboyz is referring to Lee’s uncanny “feel” for the position rather than the coaching he received. Lee’s football intelligence was through the roof, which coaching can only polish, but not provide.

Lee was practically ready to be a linebacker coach the moment he entered the NFL. You are asking to have a bad time comparing the two. Micah may very well become an All-Pro. But it won’t be by becoming a better version of Sean Lee.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2021 at 2:59 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Lee was practically ready to be a linebacker coach the moment he entered the NFL. You are asking to have a bad time comparing the two. Micah may very well become an All-Pro. But it won’t be by becoming a better version of Sean Lee.

Yeah I hope so too. Hope his best version is staying on the field.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/5/16/22436844/cowboys-micah-parsons-getting-plenty-of-play-as-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-in-2021

Parsons’ skill set, role and path to snaps sets him up as the favorite for DROY honors.

I was going to argue with this...and then I realized:

• No impact DL players
  • No impact S players

Since 2010 the previous winners have been:

• 6 DL
  • 3 LB (if you count Von as a LBer and not DL)
  • 2 CBs

....if you go back further LBers actually get an insurmountable lead. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/30/2021 at 1:44 AM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Probably my least favorite possible outcome. 

Great value from the Eagles. And frankly getting a third makes this a little more positive. Imagine if we took him at 10. Yikes. 

That said. I would have much rather take. The bears deal and drafted JOK or Newsome. 

I was wrong. 

On 4/29/2021 at 10:20 PM, textaz03 said:

Let’s see what Dan Quinn can do with him. We needed run defense help we are getting run defense help. It was a no brainer with Lee’s departure and no depth behind Smith and LVE. 

Value is improved with that 3rd rounder we picked up from Philly 😉

🤔🤔🤔 I must have been on to something  😏

7 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Still might be interested in that Chicago trade-down. Newsome has been a stud in his own right, + a top-10 pick next year.

That’s still a tempting situation. But I agree, no regrets about how it all turned out.

Kid is a difference maker on defense. Kid has elite get off speed as a pass rusher and is just insane fast. Not to mention he doesn’t miss tackles either. 

On 4/30/2021 at 3:10 AM, BigD88 said:

Be disappointed in the position and missing out on corners if you want.

But the irrational nonsense about weaknesses in his game just comes across as a hysterical tantrum. 
I’ve watched Micah Parsons since he was a freshman in high school. He is simply a flat out dude who finds the ball and makes an impact. Period. The guy suffered an ankle injury requiring crutches in a state playoff basketball game, and 7 days later went to the Army HS All-American game as a DE and beat the hell out of future NFL OTs, staked a claim as the best defensive player on either team. Then switched positions and led the team in tackles as a true freshman who never played linebacker before in his life and didn’t even start full time until the bowl game. Then became an All-American and put on the most dominant defensive performance of the entire 2019 bowl season in Jerry’s own Stadium before obviously opting out.

The stuff about “read and react” and “off ball linebacker” are way overthinking it based on a narrow-minded view of the situation. He simply flat out balls and is perfect for Quinn’s LEO position. He is not a high IQ player right now because of his infancy at the position, but his instincts are off the charts and he simply has a knack for finding the ball and making the play, even if his “read” isn’t great on the upfront. The amount of force he generates in his rush, in pursuit, and on impact with the ballcarrier is absurd. He runs fast and that’s where any nonsensical comparison to Jaylon Smith should end. 

Parsons is a flat out dude and while it’d be nice to have gotten that type of player at corner, the board simply didn’t fall that way. So to get that type of impact defender *and* an extra top 100 pick is as good as you could possibly hope for. You can check my history and if anything I’m way more conservative in my declarations for Penn State prospects since I’m most familiar with them, but Parsons is the guy that you would want to pick if you were playing a game in the parking lot with everyone who went tonight and just wanted to win. He is that dude. Period. 

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2