43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

18 hours ago, soulman said:

LOL.....well thanks for the tout but I'm not a jersey buyer type.  What would I do with one?

My days of heading out to the sports bars to watch have subsided and COVID quashed it completely last season.  There's another couple in my building who are also big Bears fans and we may watch a few games together this season but we don't wear jerseys either.

However, I do have Bears windbreaker, a Bears hat, and a leather Bear bomber jacket I do wear so often the guys at my liquor store call me Mr. Chicago.  😁

i said think - that reserves me the right to be wrong haha

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But that's thing.   I don't care that Dalton played for Lazor once.   We don't know if it is same stuff or if he remembers. 

I can't remember stuff from a different job I did many years ago.   

If it was sit behind Trubisky that would be totally different.   Trubisky knows offense, he can take less reps in practice.  Maybe Foles too.     

Dalton needs a lot of time to acclimate too.   Just like Glennon did.

Making Dalton starter to me is stupid for a number of reasons.  You are setting Dalton and Bears and to a lessor extent Fields up for failure in 2021 doing it this way.

Dalton is likely to fail and Fields will not have had as much time as he could have had in practice when he gets forced in.

And he will get forced in when Dalton fails.   They aren't going to put Foles in if Dalton starts losing.  It will be Fields.

I'm not saying there's no logic in what you're saying but it's pretty obvious the game plan at present isn't all that different than it was with Glennon and Trubisky.  Only the talent levels have risen considerably.

The only flaw may be an assumption that Dalton will fail so miserably that Nagy will be forced to start Fields just as Fox did with Trubisky.  You seem certain of this while I'm not as certain that Dalton will fail that badly.

But we haven't even seen the OTA yet let alone camp and preseason so IMHO it's too premature to be making those kind of assumptions or predictions just yet.  We know that whenever Fields become the best option he'll start.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I'm not saying there's no logic in what you're saying but it's pretty obvious the game plan at present isn't all that different than it was with Glennon and Trubisky.  Only the talent levels have risen considerably.

The only flaw may be an assumption that Dalton will fail so miserably that Nagy will be forced to start Fields just as Fox did with Trubisky.  You seem certain of this while I'm not as certain that Dalton will fail that badly.

But we haven't even seen the OTA yet let alone camp and preseason so IMHO it's too premature to be making those kind of assumptions or predictions just yet.  We know that whenever Fields become the best option he'll start.

I am not certain, but I think it is very likely and much more likely than not:

1) Schedule start is brutal.  If this was last year you may be right with the easy start.  No so this year.   

2) A potential 0-1 start is particularly brutal pressure wise because it is a months long wait for first game and a huge let down when it is lost.  

3) New team and at least somewhat new offense makes things harder for Dalton.  Plus the back up is not an after thought as he prepares for season.  Back up will ostensibly be getting at least some valuable reps.  

3) Excitement for Fields means Dalton will have extra pressure and little fan patience or support starting ... now. 

4) Every loss or even close win is debated and talked about endlessly following week.   If Bears win, but it is a defensive win fans will not be happy.   This will add pressure.

5) Dalton would need to start hot and  win first 2 -3 games to hold off a rain of boos every game and solidify that job. This is not likely.   Fans will be chanting Fields name after a 2nd or 3rd loss.  It may even start game one.   

6) Every press conference will be about Fields adding more pressure.

We'll see.   I wouldn't bet on Dalton starting game 5 and they aren't putting Foles in behind Dalton.   

Knowing that is likely I would just plan to get Fields ready for season as best I can from go and not muck about with Dalton.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am not certain, but I think it is very likely and much more likely than not:

1) Schedule start is brutal.  If this was last year you may be right with the easy start.  No so this year.   

2) A potential 0-1 start is particularly brutal pressure wise because it is a months long wait for first game and a huge let down when it is lost.  

3) New team and at least somewhat new offense makes things harder for Dalton.  Plus the back up is not an after thought as he prepares for season.  Back up will ostensibly be getting at least some valuable reps.  

3) Excitement for Fields means Dalton will have extra pressure and little fan patience or support starting ... now. 

4) Every loss or even close win is debated and talked about endlessly following week.   If Bears win, but it is a defensive win fans will not be happy.   This will add pressure.

5) Dalton would need to start hot and  win first 2 -3 games to hold off a rain of boos every game and solidify that job. This is not likely.   Fans will be chanting Fields name after a 2nd or 3rd loss.  It may even start game one.   

6) Every press conference will be about Fields adding more pressure.

We'll see.   I wouldn't bet on Dalton starting game 5 and they aren't putting Foles in behind Dalton.   

Knowing that is likely I would just plan to get Fields ready for season as best I can from go and not muck about with Dalton.

Way too much "the sky is falling" for me right now brother.

All of the issues of preparedness a new QB faces also face Fields yet he has zero NFL starting experience.  If Dalton faces boos and criticism it won't be like he's never faced them before.

The majority of this is simple projection.  Very negative projection written in a way that says "Dalton will fail" and perhaps you hope he does.  Your fever for Fields to start immediately isn't disguised at all.

You can feel and/or do as you wish but I'm content to let it all play out as the season begins.  If Nagy keeps starting Dalton over an obviously better choice in Fields it's his *** that'll be in a sling because of it.

Edited by soulman

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

No I didn't.  I just interpreted the facts not to your liking and gave an illustration.

Fair, but so we're clear: 1 + 1 does not equal 3, which is what you were trying to sell there my friend. 

8 hours ago, soulman said:

Yeah, the only thing that’s abundantly clear is that Dalton was always planned to be a placeholder. Whether that’s for a few weeks in preseason or a few months into the fall, that’s all he’s expected to be. But, knowing that’s all he’s expected to be, it’s pretty easy to draw the conclusion that we shouldn’t expect much of him while he’s out there. If he were better than that then he probably wouldn’t be in the position of being a placeholder as a 33-year old with 142 starts and multiple pro bowls and playoff appearances under his belt. Nobody wanted him as a starter last year, and nobody but us (as a placeholder) wanted him as a starter this year. If he does start games, it’s probably only going to be because he has to. The Bears didn’t sign him because they wanted him to be their play - they signed him because they wanted a better Plan B than Nick Foles or Mitch Trubisky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The Bears didn’t sign him because they wanted him to be their play - they signed him because they wanted a better Plan B than Nick Foles or Mitch Trubisky. 

More or less and also because they believed he could hold his own better than Foles or they would have saved themselves $10 mil of badly needed cap and simply used him as the bridge no matter which QB they eventually drafted.

To me Dalton is a bit of an enigma.  He played some good football on a mediocre Cincy team.  He was swept out when they drafted Joe Burrows but had they not played around so long trying get something for him Dalton may have landed a starters job somewhere or at least could have competed for one including with the Bears.

Given the circumstances he was under in Dallas he didn't exactly stink up the place but only his long term experience as a starter makes him any better than Mitch was.  How much they expect out of him for their $10 mil I can't say.  To me he's a vet we can play and not to "beat himself" but IMHO he's little more than a game manager any longer.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

To me he's a vet we can play and not to "beat himself" but IMHO he's little more than a game manager any longer.

If that. Since his last Pro Bowl season in 2016, Dalton’s combined stats are as follows (49 games): 1053/1722 (61.1%), 11550 yds (6.71 ypa), 76 TD, 45 INT, 84.8 QB Rating. 2020 rankings for those numbers would have been:

Comp%: 33rd (Foles 26th)

YPA: 25th (Foles 35th)

QB Rating: 27th (Foles 29th)

TD%: 21st (Foles 29th)

INT%: 27th (Foles 26th)

With the skill position players essentially unchanged from 2020 except in depth spots and (maybe) in the slot, should we really be expecting much difference going from Foles to Dalton? This is the Dalton we are getting. Yeah, Dalton has led his team to the playoffs 5 times... but not for 5 seasons. Yeah, Dalton has been to 3 Pro Bowls... but not for 4 seasons. 3 seasons worth of games across 4 years show that Dalton is, at least statistically, just about the worst starter in football. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soulman said:

Way too much "the sky is falling" for me right now brother.

All of the issues of preparedness a new QB faces also face Fields yet he has zero NFL starting experience.  If Dalton faces boos and criticism it won't be like he's never faced them before.

The majority of this is simple projection.  Very negative projection written in a way that says "Dalton will fail" and perhaps you hope he does.  Your fever for Fields to start immediately isn't disguised at all.

You can feel and/or do as you wish but I'm content to let it all play out as the season begins.  If Nagy keeps starting Dalton over an obviously better choice in Fields it's his *** that'll be in a sling because of it.

I don’t have a fever for Fields to start.  I would start him, but my beef is more with practice in camp and in season.  I don’t want Fields not getting ‘starters’ reps or close to.  

I have just been on 1000s of practice fields and never seen a player get better by watching at same rate as getting reps.   

Whole idea of practice over decades has constantly evolved towards maximizing reps for every player.  Why every minute is scheduled and horns sound and what not, it’s so minimal time is wasted.

Leach revolutionized practice in part just by having 4 QBs throwing at same time for drills in practice.  

There is some value to watching something.  But not nearly as much value as doing with instruction and some example.  

I’m pessimistic?  Take Fields out of it.  Say we drafted Jenkins at 20.

I was here before draft.  Nobody wanted Dalton.  It was ALL doom and gloom. 

Now all of a sudden everyone is good with Dalton playing.  Now he is pretty good and all that.

I just don’t think people are going to be okay leaving Fields on bench if Dalton doesn’t play well and Bears are losing.   People think they are going to be okay with it.  But they aren’t. 

But maybe he wins.  I guess we’ll see.  

It’s funny.  Its just like Rodgers is a good guy and not a diva.  Don’t talk about his family or his girlfriends.    

He holds out or threatens to and all of a sudden he is a jerk who hates his own family.

Dalton got a lot better all of a sudden when Fields was drafted. 

On 5/26/2021 at 7:48 PM, soulman said:
On 5/25/2021 at 3:15 PM, HuskieBear said:

yeah, pretty sure it was confirmed a day or two after the first round. i think it's @soulmanthat's already received his

LOL.....well thanks for the tout but I'm not a jersey buyer type.  What would I do with one?

My days of heading out to the sports bars to watch have subsided and COVID quashed it completely last season.  There's another couple in my building who are also big Bears fans and we may watch a few games together this season but we don't wear jerseys either.

However, I do have Bears windbreaker, a Bears hat, and a leather Bear bomber jacket I do wear so often the guys at my liquor store call me Mr. Chicago.  😁

Lol I think he was referring to myself. I posted about it in another thread. And yes, Fields' official number is #1.

Off-topic, I like the jersey, but I don't like the chosen font used for the number "1".  I hate it when "1's" look like a capital "i".

My days of wearing hats, jerseys and baggy pants are decades long gone.  I only buy bears items to keep them as collectibles. Nothing more, nothing less. My desired fashion changed considerably as I got older. I'm a simple dude who pretty much only wears polos and t-shirts with jeans that actually fit now. The only constant that remains is that I still don't like wearing suits and I hate ties/vests with a passion.

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

But that's thing.   I don't care that Dalton played for Lazor once.   We don't know if it is same stuff or if he remembers. 

I can't remember stuff from a different job I did many years ago.   

If it was sit behind Trubisky that would be totally different.   Trubisky knows offense, he can take less reps in practice.  Maybe Foles too.     

Dalton needs a lot of time to acclimate too.   Just like Glennon did.

Making Dalton starter to me is stupid for a number of reasons.  You are setting Dalton and Bears and to a lessor extent Fields up for failure in 2021 doing it this way.

Dalton is likely to fail and Fields will not have had as much time as he could have had in practice when he gets forced in.

And he will get forced in when Dalton fails.   They aren't going to put Foles in if Dalton starts losing.  It will be Fields.

First, fans like yourself need to stop trying to compare your everyday jobs to that of a professional athlete. That's mistake number 1 and I hope I don't need to explain why.

Secondly, I'm not a big fan of Dalton but comparing him to long neck in any way, shape, or form is wrong on so many levels even at this stage of Dalton's career.

Third, as @G08 pointed out, you keep ignoring facts provided to you by ACTUAL professional QBs and dismissing them outright simply because it doesn't fit your belief or narrative. 

Also, if you, or anyone else, wanna believe there's no benefit in Fields sitting.....then fine. Believe what you want. But at the same time, don't take the stance that anyone who disagrees with your perspective is wrong since there's no way to definitively prove either side.

Lastly, there's a big difference between saying "Dalton is not good" and saying "I don't wanna ruin Fields and would rather him wait until he's ready".  These are two separate arguments that you appear to be interpreting as one which isn't the case.  Both statements can be true. 

Would you be willing to sacrifice the entire 2021 season if it meant the difference of finally having stability at the QB position for the next decade? I know I would.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If that. Since his last Pro Bowl season in 2016, Dalton’s combined stats are as follows (49 games): 1053/1722 (61.1%), 11550 yds (6.71 ypa), 76 TD, 45 INT, 84.8 QB Rating. 2020 rankings for those numbers would have been:

Comp%: 33rd (Foles 26th)

YPA: 25th (Foles 35th)

QB Rating: 27th (Foles 29th)

TD%: 21st (Foles 29th)

INT%: 27th (Foles 26th)

With the skill position players essentially unchanged from 2020 except in depth spots and (maybe) in the slot, should we really be expecting much difference going from Foles to Dalton? This is the Dalton we are getting. Yeah, Dalton has led his team to the playoffs 5 times... but not for 5 seasons. Yeah, Dalton has been to 3 Pro Bowls... but not for 4 seasons. 3 seasons worth of games across 4 years show that Dalton is, at least statistically, just about the worst starter in football. 

All I can do is shrug and point out he's the vet QB they chose not that the list was all that impressive mind you.  If they believed Foles was better why sign Dalton?  Both are mid grade vets at best and with Mitch gone Pace had to sign someone.

Let's also keep in mind that this was done at a time when Pace, Nagy, and the entire scouting staff had their doubts about being able to acquire someone like Fields in the draft and that has now changed the decision process entirely.

Come one guys, Dalton was signed to be a bridge QB.  How much worse can he be than any other vet signed to be that guy or a backup to a younger QB or a rookie?  Look at Philly.  They signed Flacco to back Hurts and Hurts hasn't even been that good.

The die have all been cast. Dalton is currently the "named starter" until Fields takes over which most here believe will be before mid-season.  It's like dating a girl whose more of a "friend" while you wait for the head cheerleader to break up with her boyfriend.

We already know who the future QB will be what we don't know yet is when he takes over and we can begin to criticize him instead of Dalton or Foles and of course there will be QB type criticism because with Bears Fans it's among their favorite pastimes.

Edited by soulman