1. 1. Grade the Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Nice bounce back brother.

Hey, atleast you learned from your mistakes and got some of your money your back, AND have no regrets about your music career. I can't say the same for myself lol. I made mistakes, never got money back, and I regret not following thru with music career. 

I never wanted to be a musician, but I did want to be an entrepreneur/producer/engineer at one point in time and I spent alot of money and put in alot of hours to make it happen and it all fell through. Mainly because I was so occupied at the time and didn't follow thu with it. And till this day, I still have every piece of equipment I had bought and all it's done was collect dust for the last 20 years. Except for a 600 dollar mixer I bought...not sure what happened to that. I'm glad my son is interested now but I really wish I would've sold it lol.

To make a long story short, a childhood friend and I decided to start our own music company/label in the early 2000s and we rented a floor in a downtown building that was in a good location. We spent the first 3 weeks cleaning, painting, upgrading wall and floors, building sound proof booths, etc. Everything was looking good so started to move in furniture, equipment and other necessities and then the place flooded. About 3 inches of water was covered the entire floor in one evening. That experience honestly just drew the life out me and I quit after that.

Keep in mind, both of us also had jobs at the time. I was working 16-20+ hours every day and he was working 12-16. So we had spent alot of our extra money and limited mount of extra time to make it happen and it turned into a bad investment. We wanted it so bad but it failed so quickly. After that, I just gave up on the idea.

Bad mistake in hindsight tho. I still wish I had followed through with it instead of letting one set back deter me from it. We could've found another place and made it happen. But such is life lmao.......

Music is just another form of an addiction.....but a much healthier one.  LOL  The funny thing is I have far more gear now and I'm no longer gigging regularly than I did when I was although in those days I also had a wife an ex-wife and four daughters to support.

These days it's nice to have no one else to justify my ownership to but myself and my bank account or credit line.  But I still separate all of that from the my living expenses like I used to do simply out of force of habit.  The house money never got spent on gear.

You took a different path and a very bold one.  Setting up a recording studio is a very expensive proposition.  I've been shocked at the cost of just the mixing boards alone and that's only a fraction of all of what it takes to set up to handle a variety of music as well as commercials and voice overs and then there's the physical space itself.

Looking back at the old days it's why guys like Berry Gordy, Steve Cropper and the Memphis STAX bunch, the Muscle Shoals group, and Tom Dowd at Criteria Studios did a lot of producing and even song writing for added royalties.  Trying to keep the doors open off an hourly rate alone can be a major challenge for even the best of them.

But we digress and veer badly off topic here don't we. LOL

IME very few who've never been "bitten by the bug" of playing, producing, or recording music will ever understand the sacrifices made to enjoy some degree of success at it.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:18 AM, soulman said:
Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports  |  By Grey Papke  |  Last updated 5/28/21

The Minnesota Vikings clearly had interest in a quarterback in the NFL Draft, and were somewhat aggressive in pursuit of one in particular.

An episode of the Carolina Panthers’ behind-the-scenes YouTube series “Panthers Confidential” shows the Vikings calling the Panthers while Carolina was on the clock at No. 8 overall. From the video, the Vikings were willing to trade their first-, third- and fourth-round selections to move up to No. 8. The Panthers wanted Minnesota’s 2022 first-round pick, and when the Vikings wouldn’t budge, Panthers owner David Tepper is seen instructing his front office to tell Minnesota “don’t call us with negative points.”

Note:  The difference between the Vikings pick at #14 and Carolina's at #8 was 300 point.  The 3rd and 4th Minnesota offered were only worth 256 points.  Carolina asked for the Vikings 2022 1st round pick which had the 440 point value of the #14 2021 2nd round pick.  Minny refused what we did not and Fields was still available at #11.

The Vikings were almost certainly eyeing a quarterback, likely Justin Fields. A report earlier this month claimed that the Vikings were hoping to select Fields if he fell to No. 14, and even explored scenarios to move up for him. However, they were unwilling to give up a future first-rounder to draft Fields, who would have been expected to sit behind Kirk Cousins for a year. That was Carolina’s asking price, and it’s what the Chicago Bears ultimately had to surrender to move up and select Fields.

The Vikings ended up landing Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond in the third round instead as a potential long-term replacement for Cousins. It’s becoming increasingly obvious that the organization had its sights set far higher when the draft began.

this is tangential to the story itself, but i love all the content that the panthers and other teams put out. a team isn't giving up a competitive advantage by giving this kind of content to their fans. all we get from the bears are a few throws and catches from rookie mini camp.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

E2gR1DbVcAE61oO?format=jpg&name=large

Why is your numbering like this? Makes Fields #1 jersey look terrible.

But, 3 of the top 5 selling jerseys sheesh... just goes to show how QB starved yall have been.

Ya' think?  LOL

Why are the numerals that style?  I dunno.  Tradition I suppose and of course no one has ever worn #1 before or at least not in my lifetime which covers a lot of ground.

I guess it could also stand for "I" am the QB.  😁

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, soulman said:

Ya' think?  LOL

Why are the numerals that style?  I dunno.  Tradition I suppose and of course no one has ever worn #1 before or at least not in my lifetime which covers a lot of ground.

I guess it could also stand for "I" am the QB.  😁

It really does look like an I 🤔

And, don't get me wrong I don't dislike the #1. It looked good on Fields at Ohio State, but it actually looked like a 1.

Hell.. even my QB is making the switch this year.

6eb31da6893fb4b4cfdc8336cc48e9e9

Think this single digit QB numbers is just gonna be a trend going forward.

Feels like almost every mobile QB over the years now has had a single digit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

It really does look like an I 🤔

And, don't get me wrong I don't dislike the #1. It looked good on Fields at Ohio State, but it actually looked like a 1.

Hell.. even my QB is making the switch this year.

6eb31da6893fb4b4cfdc8336cc48e9e9

Think this single digit QB numbers is just gonna be a trend going forward.

Feels like almost every mobile QB over the years now has had a single digit.

As tradition bound as the Bears seem to be I doubt they'll alter the style of the numerals unless people refuse to but his jersey and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I gotta wonder how the three QBs who were drafted before Fields feel about his jersey out selling theirs and Tim Tebow's as well....LOL.

The kid couldn't make it as a QB.  He couldn't make it in pro baseball.  Now he wants to play TE and people are buying his jersey????

I think UFOs are real and that aliens have already taken over the planet.  😁

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

As tradition bound as the Bears seem to be I doubt they'll alter the style of the numerals unless people refuse to but his jersey and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I gotta wonder how the three QBs who were drafted before Fields feel about his jersey out selling theirs and Tim Tebow's as well....LOL.

The kid couldn't make it as a QB.  He couldn't make it in pro baseball.  Now he wants to play TE and people are buying his jersey????

I think UFOs are real and that aliens have already taken over the planet.  😁

Hey Ill be getting a Fields and Tebow jersey too!

Granted Fields I'll pay full price and Tebow I'll get for cheap after he's done... but still! I've spent $20 in worse ways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Hey Ill be getting a Fields and Tebow jersey too!

Granted Fields I'll pay full price and Tebow I'll get for cheap after he's done... but still! I've spent $20 in worse ways.

You thinkin' a Tebow jersey will become a valuable collectable or something?  LOL

If so I may be able to locate one of his Bronco jerseys that hasn't yet been burned in effigy for ya' too.  🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soulman said:

You thinkin' a Tebow jersey will become a valuable collectable or something?  LOL

If so I may be able to locate one of his Bronco jerseys that hasn't yet been burned in effigy for ya' too.  🤣

See if you can find me the Jets and Pat's jerseys for dirt cheap too. Gonna collect the set. 😄

Once a Gator always a Gator! Except Hernandez... and Cam Newton... you know? Lol

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

See if you can find me the Jets and Pat's jerseys for dirt cheap too. Gonna collect the set. 😄

Once a Gator always a Gator! Except Hernandez... and Cam Newton... you know? Lol

oh, so you support riley cooper? smh...

On 6/1/2021 at 10:41 AM, HuskieBear said:

this is tangential to the story itself, but i love all the content that the panthers and other teams put out. a team isn't giving up a competitive advantage by giving this kind of content to their fans. all we get from the bears are a few throws and catches from rookie mini camp.

Agreed.  

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Remember the John Foxes?  That dude wouldn't even admit there was a team unless cornered. That **** made me cringe every time he was cagey about whether the kicker was there or not... dude you were just 3-13, I think people, you know, KNOW. 

How about some plain fundamental drills start to finish?   No secrets there.  

All we ever get are close ups and jump cuts of 1/10th of a second of action with filler of mostly guys walking, talking and drinking gatorade or water set to awful music.  

Followed by a terrible interview.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

oh, so you support riley cooper? smh...

I'm not typing out all the d-bags from Gainesville. Takes way too long, even if only from Meyer's tenure.

That being said Cooper slipped my mind. Seems like that tool has been out of the league for way longer than 5 years. 

• Like 1