2021: 01.14 - Jets select OG Alijah Vera-Tucker

Bianconero

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Dude probably wasn't making it another pick or 2 after 14. So that ranking is WAY OFF!!!

I know PFF doesn’t really value guards much and on top of it I get the sense they were looking at him from a pure OT standpoint 

I get the arguments about pick value and the percentage chances of hitting in the draft and all that. It's all technically correct.

But these front office guys are paid to scout, interview prospects, and figure out who's best for their team. From a numbers and percentages standpoint absolutely the Jets were better off keeping the pick and then taking Wyatt Davis in the 3rd round, but in doing their job they determined they AVT had the best possibility of being the right pick for them. Maybe they didn't think Wyatt Davis had the right personality to success in the NFL?

I don't think you hold back on making moves assuming you could easily be wrong about the players you feel confident in. If you're wrong, you refine your process and figure out what you did incorrectly in evaluating that player. Otherwise, why even scout? Just trade back all the picks and literally take anybody.

• Like 1

A quick question for the AVT trade haters. You know who you are. In the 2018 draft Indy picked Nelson at 6 while the Raiders picked Kolton Miller at 15. Do you think the Raiders would have preferred trading up to get Nelson?  Do you think if they had, they would be lamenting the draft capital it took (certainly more than 2 TRP’s)?  One caveat, you have to believe the Raiders FO was actually coherent during that draft as opposed to most.  Like this year.  

I was originally 50/50 with this. What pushed me more in favor of the trade was that there was some talent that would have been available at 24 and 34 for iOL. Why would JD do that?  My answer, he and his team know a lot more than I and anyone in PFF or any talking head or any other self proclaimed draft guru (looking at you Kiper).  Hr wanted the best. Not second best. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandwhich2 said:

I get the arguments about pick value and the percentage chances of hitting in the draft and all that. It's all technically correct.

But these front office guys are paid to scout, interview prospects, and figure out who's best for their team. From a numbers and percentages standpoint absolutely the Jets were better off keeping the pick and then taking Wyatt Davis in the 3rd round, but in doing their job they determined they AVT had the best possibility of being the right pick for them. Maybe they didn't think Wyatt Davis had the right personality to success in the NFL?

I don't think you hold back on making moves assuming you could easily be wrong about the players you feel confident in. If you're wrong, you refine your process and figure out what you did incorrectly in evaluating that player. Otherwise, why even scout? Just trade back all the picks and literally take anybody.

Wyatt Davis doesn't even fit this offense. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Wyatt Davis doesn't even fit this offense. 

The rest of the IOL in this draft were levels below AVT (I liked Dickerson but he has a bad injury history). The trade up makes sense.

16 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Well they told the coaches they wanted him to be a captain after he secured the starting QB job. Overall tho a total non-story similar to no one going to Bo Callahan’s birthday party.

Really wanted to use that reference but was afraid no one would get it. 

• Like 1

I just think you had a ton of guys that you could have grabbed at 23 that would do just as good as job as AVT. I liked Landon Dickerson, Davis, Jenkins just as much. Heck you could have had a combo of Landon Dickerson, Moore, Mayfield and Hunter Long.  Now we have AVT, and Moore. Yes I would take Long, Dickerson and Mayfield over ATV. 

I'm going with LB & Safety next year. Possibly DE & CB as well. 

There is a chance none of our current LB's & Safeties listed to start will be with us in 2022. I feel good about Mc2 as a FS, but even if he is good, he's going to need someone next to him in this division. 

20 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm going with LB & Safety next year. Possibly DE & CB as well. 

There is a chance none of our current LB's & Safeties listed to start will be with us in 2022. I feel good about Mc2 as a FS, but even if he is good, he's going to need someone next to him in this division. 

Davis will be on the team and so will Maye. I don't see a need for safety. I think the 2 picks in the first round will be an OL guy and DT/DE guy that can push the pocket.