15th Overall Pick the New England Patriots Select - Mac Jones - QB - Alabama

Deadpulse

8 hours ago, Dalan162 said:

I read a lot about Mac Jones this weekend and there’s one thing that jumps to me. Mac is criticized for his lack of mobility and for playing for a stacked team. However, this did not seem to affect Tua’s stock last year and the guy was way more fragile. So, would you guys say that Tua was a better prospect than Jones ?

Well, let's leave out the mobility part because Tua is mobile 

The second part - I agree! I don't know why Tua didn't get labelled with that same thing and his team was EVEN BETTER! Add these plus Jeudy and Ruggs FFS. 

For some reason Tua was considered a better prospect, but Mac's numbers are far better with a slightly lesser team

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, let's leave out the mobility part because Tua is mobile 

The second part - I agree! I don't know why Tua didn't get labelled with that same thing and his team was EVEN BETTER! Add these plus Jeudy and Ruggs FFS. 

For some reason Tua was considered a better prospect, but Mac's numbers are far better with a slightly lesser team

I haven’t watched them enough to counter your argument, but I was under the impression that Tua, while not a statue, is not a dual threat QB

Tua isn't nearly as "athletic" as people make him out to be.. just like Mac Jones isn't nearly as "statuesque" as people make him out to be. 

For instance: 

• Tua 40 time: 4.90
  • Mac 40 time: 4.83 ( Everyone was surprised by how quickly he ran it) 

Tua appears to be in great athletic shape.. Mac on the other hand.. looks like this: 

Put Mac through a year of really strict strength and conditioning.. and he could get a bit quicker and stronger, only helping his case to being a good QB in this league. I think more than likely he sits at minimum half this year if not all of it.. I am REALLY interested in seeing how he looks physically a year from now. 

Mac had quite a few roll outs where he did just fine getting outside of the pocket and throwing on the run.. you aren't ever going to design runs like they did with Cam for him.. but he's much more mobile than say Kyle Trask. If you have your entire defense deep on a 3rd and 5, i'm sure he would be capable of getting those yards.. he isn't going to break it for 20 but he could get you the first down. 

The main thing is his mentality.. he doesn't want to run, you see him throw it away instead of run.. if his coach wanted him to run for a few yards he would do it. To me, I would much rather my QB stay healthy than grab me 3-4 extra yards ( unless we are talking playoffs). 

6 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

You mean like Belichick finally got around to watching Cam Newtons tape from last season?

Getting COVID and not having any weapons are excuses to a point. But he never looked like he had a grip on the offense, and you could tell how much McDaniels simplified everything throughout the year. I'm not sure that's something a "normal" offseason fixes.

4 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Did Brady grab the job after Bledsoe went down and never give it back? That's all that was meant.

Did the Patriots just give Cam Newton the biggest contract in NFL history? Is Jones a 6th round pick with no expectations whatsoever riding on him?

"Pulling a Brady" requires a bit more than just replacing a guy who went down with an injury. Sorry to be nitpicky but that characterization just bugged me.

Just now, Starless said:

Did the Patriots just give Cam Newton the biggest contract in NFL history? Is Jones a 6th round pick with no expectations whatsoever riding on him?

"Pulling a Brady" requires a bit more than just replacing a guy who went down with an injury. Sorry to be nitpicky but that characterization just bugged me.

Sure it was a simplification, but if you really want to dissect it Bledsoe was never Belichick's guy and he was pretty close to benching Drew on merit by all accounts. Really the big difference is the gigantic balls on Belichick staking his middling head coaching career on a kid while publicly snubbing the owner's golden boy.

6 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Sure it was a simplification, but if you really want to dissect it Bledsoe was never Belichick's guy 

I wonder what the process was like in deciding to give him the first 9-digit deal in league history...

3 minutes ago, Starless said:

I wonder what the process was like in deciding to give him the first 9-digit deal in league history...

It's almost like they structured that 9-digit deal to let them trade him for little/no cap hit only 1 year in 🤷‍♂️

Without any knowledge of the inner workings, that was very likely a Kraft-driven deal, with Belichick OKing it as long as he had a reasonable out.

8 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Tua isn't nearly as "athletic" as people make him out to be.. just like Mac Jones isn't nearly as "statuesque" as people make him out to be. 

For instance: 

• Tua 40 time: 4.90
  • Mac 40 time: 4.83 ( Everyone was surprised by how quickly he ran it) 

Tua appears to be in great athletic shape.. Mac on the other hand.. looks like this: 

Put Mac through a year of really strict strength and conditioning.. and he could get a bit quicker and stronger, only helping his case to being a good QB in this league. I think more than likely he sits at minimum half this year if not all of it.. I am REALLY interested in seeing how he looks physically a year from now. 

Mac had quite a few roll outs where he did just fine getting outside of the pocket and throwing on the run.. you aren't ever going to design runs like they did with Cam for him.. but he's much more mobile than say Kyle Trask. If you have your entire defense deep on a 3rd and 5, i'm sure he would be capable of getting those yards.. he isn't going to break it for 20 but he could get you the first down. 

The main thing is his mentality.. he doesn't want to run, you see him throw it away instead of run.. if his coach wanted him to run for a few yards he would do it. To me, I would much rather my QB stay healthy than grab me 3-4 extra yards ( unless we are talking playoffs). 

Mac was better at Bama with worse weapons. Tua isn't good.

• Like 1