15th Overall Pick the New England Patriots Select - Mac Jones - QB - Alabama

Deadpulse

According to Doug Kyed of NESN, the Patriots were seemingly giving touted offensive lineman Aijah Vera-Tucker serious consideration at No. 15 overall before the New York Jets jumped one spot ahead of them and nabbed him.

Had the Patriots been able to land Vera-Tucker in the first round, Kyed is of the understanding they would’ve targeted Stanford quarterback Davis Mills in Round 2 … even if Justin Fields was available! What?! If Fields fell all the way to No. 15, Belichick was actually going to pass?!

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

According to Doug Kyed of NESN, the Patriots were seemingly giving touted offensive lineman Aijah Vera-Tucker serious consideration at No. 15 overall before the New York Jets jumped one spot ahead of them and nabbed him.

Had the Patriots been able to land Vera-Tucker in the first round, Kyed is of the understanding they would’ve targeted Stanford quarterback Davis Mills in Round 2 … even if Justin Fields was available! What?! If Fields fell all the way to No. 15, Belichick was actually going to pass?!

I had questions about how much BB truly values the QB position and this offseason hasn't really answered those questions (or given me the answers I wanted anyway).

Whether or not that particular nugget is true, you also hear from others that we had the chance to move into the top 10 and said "we're good", allowed Chicago to trade above us, and had they picked Jones and Fields went to the Vikings, or another team traded up to get Jones like the Saints or WTF, we'd have shrugged, took a defensive player and moved onto Mills. I firmly believe that.

Whether or not you were pro Fields or Jones, there is a huge chasm between those guys and Mills if you ask me. We should count our blessings the board fell the way did and we simply ended up with Jones.

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Mac Jones = sloppy seconds. 

Yet smart offense minds, such as Sean Payton, were trying to trade up for him.

Man, I'm really pulling for Mac Jones. You would think he's an absolute scrub the way some people talk about him. I really hope he pans out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Man, I'm really pulling for Mac Jones. You would think he's an absolute scrub the way some people talk about him. I really hope he pans out.

its fun being the scrappy underdogs again 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Fields never was an option apparently.

3 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Mac was the best QB in CFB last year, lol. But it would be fun if Mac and the Patriots surprise people and he outperforms the other rookie QBs

9 hours ago, ToonPatriot said:

I had questions about how much BB truly values the QB position and this offseason hasn't really answered those questions (or given me the answers I wanted anyway).

Whether or not that particular nugget is true, you also hear from others that we had the chance to move into the top 10 and said "we're good", allowed Chicago to trade above us, and had they picked Jones and Fields went to the Vikings, or another team traded up to get Jones like the Saints or WTF, we'd have shrugged, took a defensive player and moved onto Mills. I firmly believe that.

Whether or not you were pro Fields or Jones, there is a huge chasm between those guys and Mills if you ask me. We should count our blessings the board fell the way did and we simply ended up with Jones.

I think you're right. On all counts

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I think fans of NFL have a hang-up when it comes to looks, weight, height etc. I remember everyone fawning over Cam's body, everyone has a collective orgy when Donald flexes on insta and that kind of thing. I do actually believe the way Mac looks has clouded some people's judgements. 

You cannot actually get better numbers than he did. My reservations lie squarely on whether or not his surrounding talent elevated him to a station higher than he actually is. Otherwise, I think he's a great option and also hope he pans out. He has the brain, I think, and that is SO important