15th Overall Pick the New England Patriots Select - Mac Jones - QB - Alabama

Deadpulse

On 5/13/2021 at 12:39 AM, The Third Rider said:

Quaterbacks run this league, you are in one of two camps; you either have an elite QB or you don't. With that said, I've made my stance that I wanted Fields and I am ready to crucify Bill if Fields turns into anything remotely close to Mahomes and Jones is just Kirk Kousins 2.0. However, I have moved on from my ideal of what our roster should have been and ready to see what it will actually become. I also find it ironic that Jones (in this forum at least) has to live up to what Fields will become and not to his predecessor, Tom Brady, to which he is more comparable to. I am ready to see what Jones can do, I just hope that Bill gives him all the tools he needs to be successful. 

If Fields lights it up in Chicago, that to me would signal that he'd be even better here. Would be a massive wasted opportunity. Unless of course Mac is also something special, then we won't really notice. 

I worry for Justin F over there, QB purgatory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Give him time. Tight end is rarely a year one impact. The impatience of signing those big two obviously will hinder him. He was a top 101 pick for a reason though. 

I thought he was a top 101 pick because the Patriots/Belichick routinely overvalue prospects from the rest of the league and generally make at least one egregious reach per year.

The Pats really knocked it out of the park in the sixth round. I liked both of those picks. But, they took Keene in a trade up I believe and passed on these guys, some of them multiple times over:

Alex Highsmith, Harrison Bryant, Mykal Walker, Alton Robinson, Tyler Johnson, Gabriel Davis, Tyler Biadasz, Jaylinn Hawkins, Darney Holmes, Leki Fotu, Troy Pride Jr., Darnell Mooney, Kevin Dotson, Tyre Phillips, Albert Okwuegbunam, Anthony McFarland Jr., Jack Driscoll, Akeem Davis-Gaither, and Tyler Bass among others. Not to mention my guy Fromm who I and the Bills/Daboll thought dropped way lower than he should have to the fifth round. These were almost all well known prospects equally or greater regarded as Keene. I just don't see how the Pats justify some of their decisions at all.

On 5/17/2021 at 9:10 AM, Scoundrel said:

Give him time. Tight end is rarely a year one impact. The impatience of signing those big two obviously will hinder him. He was a top 101 pick for a reason though. 

I would love this to be true but all we ever do is wait for skill positions to develop and never happens. I am not one to demand much but 3 catches for the season when there was ZERO competition doesn't exactly instill confidence. 

On 5/20/2021 at 3:36 PM, SBLIII said:

Keene and Asiati are probably going to flame out or just backups. 

TBH, it might be premature, but I'm already considering them busts. 

Realistically, they won't see much of the field this season due to Jonnu and Henry. They produced nothing last season. So that will be two seasons with maybe 5 catches between them both? 

Bust

On 5/24/2021 at 10:31 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

TBH, it might be premature, but I'm already considering them busts. 

Realistically, they won't see much of the field this season due to Jonnu and Henry. They produced nothing last season. So that will be two seasons with maybe 5 catches between them both? 

Bust

pretty much. 

But if Onwenu, Dugger and Uche are hits, I don't really care.

Spent some more time breaking down the tape, and I'm liking more and more of what I see. People are caught up in criticizing the scrambling speed and lack of twitch, which blinds them from really seeing how quick the feet are in anticipation of being able to deliver to anywhere he needs to go. Platform is consistent every single time, and he gives all his targets a chance because of that.

The particular play at 11:11 shows the IQ, awareness and preparation; ahead of it's time at that level..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Spent some more time breaking down the tape, and I'm liking more and more of what I see. People are caught up in criticizing the scrambling speed and lack of twitch, which blinds them from really seeing how quick the feet are in anticipation of being able to deliver to anywhere he needs to go. Platform is consistent every single time, and he gives all his targets a chance because of that.

The particular play at 11:11 shows the IQ, awareness and preparation; ahead of it's time at that level..

The play I like there is the second one, at ~0.13. Free blitzer up the middle, Jones knows he's about to get popped but steps up and throws down the seam anyway. That's something I like to see.

• Like 2