🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

32 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I overreacted somewhat. Leatherwoods athletic profile, arm length, pedigree, positional versatility, and leadership all seem like pluses. I was just super zeroed in on Darrisaw and that bummed me out. Part of me wonders if his medical was what Mayock was referring to when talking about medicals. Still love Darrisaw from what we saw on the field.

I also watched more of Leatherwood. His struggles (on a few reps) against Ojulari were mainly technique based. He has a lot of coachable upside. His floor isn't mega high but he's a decent starter day 1. But his ceiling is big because the guy can move. You see it on outside runs. If he can continue to work his hands,Β develop a better kick slide, and be disciplined with his base (you saw him get too wide at times).

Still think it was a "reach". I'm not going to go out on a limb and say he's some plug and play pro bowler. But at least the player is not a crappy low floor one. How good or bad this draft is really depends on tomorrow. Can we find day 1 (2) impact defensive players.

I'm hoping on 3 defensive guys with the 2nd and two 3rd round picks, and those 3 at least turn into 1 very good starter, another decent starter and 1 depth guy. With the weak talent we haven on D that should be doable.Β 

Assuming Leatherwood turns into a bona fida starter then we'd end up with a good draft with just again missed value.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

in what universe is he arguably the best run blocker lmao

Now if he said the best testing athletically you could say yes technically based on RAS (even though Sewell is definitely the most athletic).

If you want to say best "pedigree" maybe you could argue it. But best run blocker or pass blocker. No.

• Like 1

I'm with Brandon Throrn you look at him as a prospect and he's in the 6-10 range for tackles. But you start looking what raiders want and the upside.Β  Β  He's a perfect scheme fit and the upside to be a pro bowl RT or gaurd.Β 

I wouldn't be surprised if in two years time we look back and this is considered a great pick.Β 

2 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

I'm with Brandon Throrn you look at him as a prospect and he's in the 6-10 range for tackles. But you start looking what raiders want and the upside.Β  Β  He's a perfect scheme fit and the upside to be a pro bowl RT or gaurd.Β 

I wouldn't be surprised if in two years time we look back and this is considered a great pick.Β 

Will anyone from our defense be joining him at the pro bowl? πŸ€”

Just now, Totty said:

Will anyone from our defense be joining him at the pro bowl? πŸ€”

Β 

A DC is just as important as any player on the defense so let's see.Β Β 

Intend to like Mayocks post round 1 picks so let's see what he's go up his sleeve.Β  Β 

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Is it just me or does Cable just like moving people to new positions so he can always say they need more time or if they fail he can say they just could not transition.Β Β 

It's just you. He's moving them because he thinks they have required traits.

1 minute ago, OnlyGlove said:

Β 

A DC is just as important as any player on the defense so let's see.Β Β 

Intend to like Mayocks post round 1 picks so let's see what he's go up his sleeve.Β  Β 

I'm not arguing with you. Β But we've taken the let's see approach with Gruden for 5 years. Β 

Just now, Totty said:

I'm not arguing with you. Β But we've taken the let's see approach with Gruden for 5 years. Β 

Β 

Offense has always been good and the problem for me was the defense with the players not put in the right position.Β  Leatherwood was a reach but got a very high ceiling.Β  Still need the defense to make massive strides forward but we now have a real DC and should see the talent on that side of the ball.Β Β 

4 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

Β 

Offense has always been good and the problem for me was the defense with the players not put in the right position.Β  Leatherwood was a reach but got a very high ceiling.Β  Still need the defense to make massive strides forward but we now have a real DC and should see the talent on that side of the ball.Β Β 

We're on the same page. Β I guess we just disagree onΒ degree of importance.Β 

I see some of you are in spin mode trying to justify this this morning....Β 

Honestly, this sucks beyond words. Not that AL won't be a solid player, he has the pedigree and skills to be. He's a safe pick that shouldn't bust and could possibly grow into something more. But the optics are terrible.

They reportedly had options to trade down and didn't!!Β Is the FO that lost in their own evaluationsΒ to think this player would not be available later on? How obtuse can they be?

Gruden/Mayock's.... "we areΒ aΒ power run team" schtick can gtf out of here. It's 2021 and Gruden is still trying to play ball like it's 2001. This is a LOSING formula.Β 

Meanwhile... on defense, this team remains talentless and slow in a division loaded with offensive talent.Β 

They had a shot at several potential start defensive players and reached for a RT that would have been there at 48. This is simply disgusting.Β 

These idiots keep thinking they are smarter than everyone else.... and they've got 6 first round draft picks as evidence they are not.

The team did not get better on day 1 of the draft. And that is what they needed to do.

• Like 2

I think this is a pretty bad pick!

They could have selected Darrisaw or even Jenkins ahead of him easily.

They could have traded back for anything, since noone would have select Alex before them.

Β 

With that said he could develope into a solid RT for us. I would expect a brutal first year like Kolton Miller had and then steady developement. If there is no developement after year 2 he could kick inside to OG and be solid there.Β 

This move is again a testament to Gruden's job security IMO.

He doesn't care what the media, the fans think and he knows that Mark Davis loves him too much to question him.

Β 

They do this every year now. Leave clear holes on the roster before the draft and then reach onΒ a big school kid with seemingly stable floor.Β 

Kolton Miller, Cle Ferrell, Damon Arnette, Alex Leatherwood...

Miller turned out to be a good pick.

Ferrell had a difficult start to his carrier, but maybe year 3 he break out.

Arnette had a rough rookie year, but could definately play solid in year 2 in the new scheme.

Leatherwood could turn out to be a good pick up by Cable in a year or 2.

Β 

I just hope that Mark Davis will step up if we miss the PO again.Β Β 

• Like 2