🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think potentially adding another high end pass rusher into our rotation, especially with Bradley's scheme that relies almost exclusively on a 4 man rush to generate pressure, would've been worth the risk. Because if he hits and Yannick/Crosby both do their thing then you're looking at a pretty potent pass rush which would vastly improve our defense. 

Leatherwood will likely be an average starter, doesn't move the needle much. And I highly doubt that he plays much better than Sam Young and Denzel Good did at RT last season.

If we fail to make the playoffs and/or having a losing record seats will become hot. Mayock will probably be the fall guy and then you're also in a weird position with Carr. 

And if he doesn’t hit? What is Phillips if he doesn’t hit? I know his potential it’s all people talk about. if he gets another concussion can we kick him inside to guard? 

If Leatherwood doesn’t hit at OT a bunch think he can be a an all pro guard. 

I’ve had this thought and I’d rather have Leatherwood at 17 then AVT in a trade up. They traded up for a iOL and we got a more physically gifted player capable of playing outside and if not a lot of “experts” say he has elite potential at G. How is that different than AVT?

Edited by CaliforniaKid7

8 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

And if he doesn’t hit? What is Phillips if he doesn’t hit? I know his potential it’s all people talk about. if he gets another concussion can we kick him inside to guard? 

If Leatherwood doesn’t hit at OT a bunch think he can be a an all pro guard. 

Good teams take swings on players with upside, which is why they have difference makers all over the field. We go after low ceiling, high floor players every year. And then we're surprised when they're not impact players for us. 

That's cool that you think that but what if he sucks at both? What if Leatherwood tears his ACL the first week of camp and can't play/never recovers? We can speak in hypotheticals all day. But we did what we've consistently done, reached for need. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Good teams take swings on players with upside, which is why they have difference makers all over the field. We go after low ceiling, high floor players every year. And then we're surprised when they're not impact players for us. 

That's cool that you think that but what if he sucks at both? What if Leatherwood tears his ACL the first week of camp and can't play/never recovers? We can speak in hypotheticals all day. But we did what we've consistently done, reached for need. 

I think that's where we differ. I don't see Leatherwood as a low ceiling player. He's got the tools to be a top 5 RT. Will he reach that? Time will tell but the frame/tools/production is there. Not even going to address the ACL argument as that can be said for any prospect ever.

IMO whoever was okay with Darrisaw/Jenkins at 17 should be just fine with Leatherwood at 17. If your gripe is it should've been a defensive player then okay I understand that, but there weren't any elite prospects left without huge question marks. I do understand taking chances but like you said that's not how this FO operates. Time will tell as always. 

Just now, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I think that's where we differ. I don't see Leatherwood as a low ceiling player. He's got the tools to be a top 5 RT. Will he reach that? Time will tell but the frame/tools/production is there. Not even going to address the ACL argument as that can be said for any prospect ever.

IMO whoever was okay with Darrisaw/Jenkins at 17 should be just fine with Leatherwood at 17. If your gripe is it should've been a defensive player then okay I understand that, but there weren't any elite prospects left without huge question marks. I do understand taking chances but like you said that's not how this FO operates. Time will tell as always. 

IIRC he didn't even play RT at Alabama, so how can you project that he can be a top 5, All-Pro level player there? 

Time will tell as always, I agree. Just completely disappointing to be honest. I think Leatherwood will be a decent RT but I just think it was such a huge reach for need, especially with such a deep OT class. 

IIRC he didn't even play RT at Alabama, so how can you project that he can be a top 5, All-Pro level player there? 

Time will tell as always, I agree. Just completely disappointing to be honest. I think Leatherwood will be a decent RT but I just think it was such a huge reach for need, especially with such a deep OT class. 

It is a deep OL class but I'm curious to see if we see a run here in the early 2nd on OT's. I feel like Cosmi, Jenkins, etc will all go within the first 10 picks of this 2nd round and then that OT class isn't so deep anymore and we'd be sitting on our hands at 48 while this forum blows up complaining how we can't start Parker at RT or that we're gonna reach and pick Carman to play RT at 48. If there is an early run on OT's I'll feel better about the AL pick because I know it's hard to understand sometimes but differences between the 20th pick and the 40th pick on teams boards might not be separated by much. 

1 minute ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

It is a deep OL class but I'm curious to see if we see a run here in the early 2nd on OT's. I feel like Cosmi, Jenkins, etc will all go within the first 10 picks of this 2nd round and then that OT class isn't so deep anymore and we'd be sitting on our hands at 48 while this forum blows up complaining how we can't start Parker at RT or that we're gonna reach and pick Carman to play RT at 48. If there is an early run on OT's I'll feel better about the AL pick because I know it's hard to understand sometimes but differences between the 20th pick and the 40th pick on teams boards might not be separated by much. 

I just wonder about the trade down we declined cause something tells me it was minn and they wanted darrisaw but we thought they wanted leatherwood. Who would ever trade up for leatherwood tho 🤦🏽‍♂️. 

52 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

A mysterious toe injury comes out of nowhere and keeps him out for a whole year. I also don’t want to hear we’re going to start them out at guard and work his way to right tackle because we threw too much at them too early. My thing is I have no problem with the pick if he is guaranteed to come in and start week onHe

He had that  injury for 3 years at college It just got to the point where he couldn't play anymore.

11 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I just wonder about the trade down we declined cause something tells me it was minn and they wanted darrisaw but we thought they wanted leatherwood. Who would ever trade up for leatherwood tho 🤦🏽‍♂️. 

We could've had Justin Jefferson and Christian Darrisaw but got Ruggs/Leatherwood. Hopefully we draft Nick Saban at #48.

16 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Or you use one of those 3rd rounders, jump up and get your guy. When has reaching for need worked out?

Or you use one of those 3rd rounders, jump up and get your guy. When has reaching for need worked out?

You say that like it's so easy, like other teams don't have "their guy". I guarantee you we are not the only ones hoping to trade up into the early 2nd for JOK/Moehrig/Cosmi/Jenkins. Maybe the teams that already have those picks want to pick those guys? I am all for trading up/down to get your guy or recoup value but I think the #1 mistake we as fans make is under valuing the difficulty of not only finding a willing trade partner but actually executing a trade that both sides agree to, especially in the early to mid rounds. 

Just now, CaliforniaKid7 said:

You say that like it's so easy, like other teams don't have "their guy". I guarantee you we are not the only ones hoping to trade up into the early 2nd for JOK/Moehrig/Cosmi/Jenkins. Maybe the teams that already have those picks want to pick those guys? I am all for trading up/down to get your guy or recoup value but I think the #1 mistake we as fans make is under valuing the difficulty of not only finding a willing trade partner but actually executing a trade that both sides agree to, especially in the early to mid rounds. 

You act like trading up/down is impossible. Other teams consistently move up and down the board to get their guys. There's reports there's major friction in the building after that pick and guys are getting fired, lol.

2 hours ago, roi34 said:

if he shows growth like Kolton I'll be happy. People are just impatient

I was actually pro-Miller when he was picked. I think Miller presented far superior upside to Leatherwood even if his "film" wasn't good either. In fact, Samuel Cosmi, who was arguably the Miller-type prospect in this draft, would have been a far better pick in my eyes than Leatherwood.

I think fans are justified in being concerned about the pick because this staff hasn't shown a good track record of going off the beaten path in the draft.

This happens every time the Raiders "reach" for a player. We don't have to bow down and be patient. We have seen him play and most people weren't impressed. This staff does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Rich7sena

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We could've had Justin Jefferson and Christian Darrisaw but got Ruggs/Leatherwood. Hopefully we draft Nick Saban at #48.

What do you think took us so long to pick at #17 saban wouldn’t answer the phone so we went with leatherwood instead 

ive not seen one poster call Leatherwood a bad player, everyone is just pissed over perceived value. Although, i feel we could have gotten him a little later, i dont mind getting our guy. A lot of guys wanted Darrisaw, who is a good player, but after TB, do we really want another player with similar effort concerns? Also, plenty posters wanted, Jenkins, JOK or Moehrig, and wouldnt have batted an eye if we took them at 17, yet, theyre still on the board. So many posters are too tied up in rankings, and look over things that matter, like scheme/culture fit. I was pissed yesterday, because i wanted a defensive playmaker, but after diving into Leatherwood a little bit, im not mad.