๐Ÿˆ Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

because there were other players widely considered to be superior prospects available. the most clean one would be christian darrisaw. beyond that, there are arguments for and against Teven Jenkins, and other tackles who went in the second round like Cosmi (who actually compares quite well with Miller).ย 

the main issue with Leatherwood is that he played through his senior year and still showed regular flaws, doesnt have a great punch in pass pro sets. normally you worry about that less with underclassmen, and you bank on the fact that they're still early in their development. not as much the case with more or less "finished products" who have played as many games as Leatherwood.

he's also not quite as athletic as guys like Kolton Miller or Sam Cosmi. he did test well in certain metrics like his broad jump, but those aren't really the "athletic" indicators for Tackles, where you are more so looking for quick reactions/directional changes in response to moves put on my rushers.ย 

so he's a good not great athlete for the position, while also still having some noticeable (though potentially fixable) flaws despite what looks like a ton of experience

i respect that!

as for the bold thats what i see. Yes, he has some flaws, and what i keep reading/seeing is a lot of it is involving hand placement/punch. Things that can be corrected or improved upon with coaching and getting stronger. According to the metrics hes a plus athlete which cant be taught. He is also very good in the run game, in which the offense is built upon.ย 

What it comes down to is how much you trust the coaching staff/FO. I completely understand the stance some guys are taking, weve had a history of reaches and dont have the best resume in developing talent. But, weve had the most stability weve had around here in a long time, in terms of coaching staffs(on offense) Gruden and Cable seem to be hand in hand in what they are trying to accomplish up front. Im not mad at going after their guy, i actually respect it. The one prospect that many bring up as the superior prospect(Darrisaw) had some concerns regarding his drive, after dealing with TB the past two seasons, i completely understand why they chose another route.ย 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Do you trust Paul Guenther more or Tom Cableย more?ย That's what it comes down to.

Look if Cable is so good then he should be able to coach up top talent like Darrishaw, Jenkins, Eisenberg, Little, and even still Leatherwood who all could have been had with a trade down while gaining 3rd and 4th round picks. And honestly Cable should have had 2 or 3 options he liked,ย  so they could work the draft instead of acting like this guy was the only good OT on the board. Even worst Mayock claimed he could have made a trade but that team wanted an OT, if that's true I'm willing to bet said team was going to grab Darrishaw and not Leatherwood lol.

if i wanted to take an experienced tackle with athletic upside i would have preferred Cosmi, who actually profiles pretty similarly with Kolton, somebody we know Cable has good experience with. Cosmi also played at a big program, and is particularly intriguing to me because despite being 6'8 (height can often spell trouble with leverage) he was a monster in the run game.

if i wanted a guy i'd feel more comfortable coming in right away and being a good pass protector, i'd have gone Darrisaw.

i also would have preferred Jenkins to Leatherwood at RT. interestingly, the Bears have said they're moving Teven left... interesting to see how he holds up there.

13 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

As a player, I'm just not seeing a top-level right tackle prospect worth the 17th overall pick--especially when other players (at both tackle and other positions) were available at 17. It was basically a dream scenario for the Raiders and they botched it just like they did with Ferrell.

Leatherwood is highly refined, I do not see much more room for improvement besides NFL strength training (which he basically got at Alabama). Athletically, the pro day numbers do not match up what I saw. He has a stiff lower body and he's doing to struggle with pass rushers have a two-way go. He also doesn't have strong or heavy hands. Ojulari was able to swipe his hands right off of him. Perhaps worst off all is I've seen him pancaked more than once on a bullrush. Bullrushes in colleege don't happen that often but they do in the NFL--it's probably the best pass rush move in today's quick-passing NFL. I have seen Leatherwood pancaked twice (once against a linebacker). Lastly, his senior bowl performance was woeful, and highlighted all the issues I wrote about above.

I really believe if he didn't wear that Crimson lid, he wouldn't have touched the first two rounds. He has that Alabama sheen that makes people believe he's better than he is. This look like a mid first round pick to you?ย 

ย 

Without that bama uniform heโ€™s a solid late 2nd imo

Ngl I was mad about mike is his interview saying โ€œour fans will read that heโ€™s a reach and believe it and get upsetโ€ naw dude we can watch games too and rewatch them on YouTube homie. Like weโ€™re all just some dam sheep and he has a spotless draft record.ย 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

to be entirely fair the bama uniform also means he played his career against SEC competition which does count for something

Exactly why I said late 2nd lol

without that uni heโ€™s a midย rounder

hes still gotta win vs top comp

he doesnโ€™t win enough imo

5 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Look if Cable is so good then he should be able to coach up top talent like Darrishaw, Jenkins, Eisenberg, Little, and even still Leatherwood who all could have been had with a trade down while gaining 3rd and 4th round picks. And honestly Cable should have had 2 or 3 options he liked,ย  so they could work the draft instead of acting like this guy was the only good OT on the board. Even worst Mayock claimed he could have made a trade but that team wanted an OT, if that's true I'm willing to bet said team was going to grab Darrishaw and not Leatherwood lol.

Yeah but what if he thinks that Leatherwood is actually better than them for the zone blocking scheme(contrary to the Internet and TV "consensus")? That's the key cogย in this whole thing. Like when the report came out that he had Kolton Miller over Mike McGlinchey I remember I was pissed. And then all of a sudden you start seeing Mike McGlinchey on the field and he didn't look as good and then Kolton Miller eventually turns out to be really.

It's also important to note when it comes to Darisaw in particular(who is who I wanted by the way) that it turns out isn't a work ethic guy(which is what made me understand why they passed on him and why he ended up going 23rd as well). Now after seeing Trent Brown who was talented but didn't really have worth ethic either and how that played out for us, I didn't feel so bad about not getting Darrisaw after that.ย 

8 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Lol this

i can only imagine us on the clock..

minn calls: aye we wanna move up for a ot trade ya 17 for 23,66,119 what do ya say

mike: you want a ot? Lololol hell naw you not taking leatherwood from us lol you think weโ€™re stupid.... click

minn: wtf just happened? Leatherwood? Lol what

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lol this

minn calls: aye we wanna move up for a ot trade ya 17 for 23,66,119 what do ya say

mike: you want a ot? Lololol hell naw you not taking leatherwood from us lol you think weโ€™re stupid.... click

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

7 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lol this

Lol, Minnesota was great in this draft. Traded back and still got their guy.ย 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Lol, Minnesota was great in this draft. Traded back and still got their guy.ย 

Exactly thatโ€™s how you play the draft game and they got a future qb.ย 
ย 

2nd yr in a row last year Jefferson vs hr3

now leatherwood vs darrisawย 

๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ

5 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Exactly thatโ€™s how you play the draft game and they got a future qb.ย 
ย 

2nd yr in a row last year Jefferson vs hr3

now leatherwood vs darrisawย 

๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Weโ€™ll take the #5 DT Prospect in the draft in the 1st Round next year, while they take the #1 the pick after us. #TheRaiderWay

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Weโ€™ll take the #5 DT Prospect in the draft in the 1st Round next year, while they take the #1 the pick after us. #TheRaiderWay

๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธThen try to convince us that weโ€™re stupid for listening to media say weโ€™re reaching...like weโ€™re blind

Edited by NCOUGHMAN