๐Ÿˆ Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I have always used DVOA for teams since the 2000โ€™s. And I have never used it for players, dating back way before Carr. And many people use the team only version. There is a lot more to gauging a player than overall efficiency. At the end of the day, it comes down to Carrโ€™s skillset. He still canโ€™t throw with anticipation (making WRโ€™s open, in all his scouting reports), he still canโ€™t throw in a tight window, and he still has average at best pocket presence and pocket awareness. These are tools you need to be a Top QB. Heโ€™s not bad but heโ€™s never gonna be a Top 10 guy.ย 

Yeh, that doesn't convince me sorry. I regard that as double standards. It's good for your point about the offence but when it doesn't suit your case it's not reliable apparently........ย 

If it's not good for individuals then how can it be possibly accurate for a collective like an offence. You're just multiplying the variables not filtering out the inaccuracies from what I've read about DVOA.

ย 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, that doesn't convince me sorry. I regard that as double standards. It's good for your point about the offence but when it doesn't suit your case it's not reliable apparently........ย 

If it's not good for individuals then how can it be possibly accurate for a collective like an offence. You're just multiplying the variables not filtering out the inaccuracies from what I've read about DVOA.

ย 

Pick any stat I want. PFF rating. DVOA. Passer rating. Top 10 in all of them last year.ย 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we take Sweat we also don't get Crosby. Now if you wanted to say we should have gone

4: Devin White/Ed Oliver

24: Montez Sweat

27: Josh Jacobs

I would have been fine with that.

Why couldn't we have taken Sweat and Crosby? Realistically we should've taken Brian Burns #4. He was a freak athlete and the only concern he had coming in was weight but he showed up to the combine at 250 and still had great testing numbers.ย 

Going back I would've went:

4. Brian Burns

24. Josh Jacobs

27. DK Metcalfย 

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why couldn't we have taken Sweat and Crosby? Realistically we should've taken Brian Burns #4. He was a freak athlete and the only concern he had coming in was weight but he showed up to the combine at 250 and still had great testing numbers.ย 

4. Brian Burns

24. Josh Jacobs

27. DK Metcalfย 

I'm saying if we took Sweat and Ferrell, I don't think we take Crosby in the 4th.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

4. Brian Burns

24. Josh Jacobs

27. DK Metcalfย 

Burns was never going 4 it was Allen if anybody.

15 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Burns was never going 4 it was Allen if anybody.

Clelin Ferrell was never supposed to go top 4 either. In Burns last season he had 52 tackles, 15 TFL, 10 sacks, and 3 FF at Florida State.ย 

At the combine he came in at 6'5" 250 with an 83" wingspan (93rd percentile). And his workout numbers were top notch 4.53s forty (97th percentile), 36" vertical leap (81st percentile), 129" broad jump (97th percentile), 7.01s 3-cone drill (83rd percentile).ย 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm saying if we took Sweat and Ferrell, I don't think we take Crosby in the 4th.

Oh yeah, there was no way we were taking two edge players first round though. Brian Burns should've been the pick though, looks like he'll be an elite pass rusher.ย 

52 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Oh yeah, there was no way we were taking two edge players first round though. Brian Burns should've been the pick though, looks like he'll be an elite pass rusher.ย 

Burns is pretty good. Mayock referred to him indirectly as โ€œflashyโ€ (probably was thinking about Josh Allen as well). At least we have Yannick now. Iโ€™m just hoping Ferrell can be a good rusher inside.

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Burns is pretty good. Mayock referred to him indirectly as โ€œflashyโ€ (probably was thinking about Josh Allen as well). At least we have Yannick now. Iโ€™m just hoping Ferrell can be a good rusher inside.

Burns is young, he's only 23 years old and has like 18 sacks through 2 seasons. Can't teach his bend or athleticism.ย 

14 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Definitely. I think we made the wrong choice, but there's no way to hit the undo button at this point.

Agreed. I'm hopeful that Ferrell can contribute this year I just don't think he has the juice to be a high end pass rusher.ย 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Definitely. I think we made the wrong choice, but there's no way to hit the undo button at this point.

This is always an issue when you're drafting specifically for 'scheme fit' rather than out and out the most talented player. If the coordinator is good and the scheme is good then you're OK but even though I was a fan of Ferrell and his ability to do the basics well everyone knew he wasn't a premier pass rusher. Allen, Burns and Sweat were all better pure pass rushers but Ferrell did fit what Guenther wanted more for sure, obviously you're at the whim of how good the DC is then and it turns out not so good!ย 

Now, with all that said I still think Ferrell is a very capable big DE and I do expect he breaks out this year, though he'll never be a Derrick Burgess type end, if we'd had Gus Bradley as DC back then, we assuredly take Allen or Burns I think.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

https://theathletic.com/2875062/2021/10/07/raiders-move-first-round-pick-alex-leatherwood-to-guard-exploring-the-reasoning-for-the-quick-position-switch/

People were saying this on Twitter.ย  I wonder how true it is and what the logic is behind it.ย  our OG and C play has been terrible and maybe they think Leatherwood at OG and our backup RT would be a better set than what we currently have.ย  We need to start our backup C too while we're at it.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

https://theathletic.com/2875062/2021/10/07/raiders-move-first-round-pick-alex-leatherwood-to-guard-exploring-the-reasoning-for-the-quick-position-switch/

People were saying this on Twitter.ย  I wonder how true it is and what the logic is behind it.ย  our OG and C play has been terrible and maybe they think Leatherwood at OG and our backup RT would be a better set than what we currently have.ย  We need to start our backup C too while we're at it.

Leatherwood started at RG during his sophomore season at Alabama and was pretty good there. A lot of stuff I read about him pre-draft said that he projected better as a guard. I agree that we should also probably start Nick Martin at center, James just isn't very good. Then you can play Eluemor at either LG or RT for the time being.ย 

• Like 1