🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

They have been getting their guy. But at what cost.

It's easy to suggest trading down but you need the partner willing to give up the capital. I'm not saying I agree with it, just stating what's going on IMO.Β 

Been fairly underwhelmed with Mayock as a GM but this might be Gruden influenced so I'm reserving judgment.Β 

From a Walter Football articleΒ 

Here is what a director of college scouting said about Leatherwood:Β 
Β 

1. "Leatherwood is a late first-rounder at the minimum ... has finally [started playing like a man] and is playing with some urgency and aggression, which he didn't last year. He's a better athlete and player than Jonah Williams - CIN - was who went too high at No. 11, and Leatherwood can start at either tackle spot as well as guard if you needed him to. Not dominant and needs to clean up some hand-placement stuff, but he's athletic and a competent pass protector that can excel in the zone-stretch run game. Not a downhill, power-/gap-scheme guy. Not better than [Andrew] Thomas - NYG -, [Jedrick] Willis - CLE -, [Mekhi] Beckton - NYJ -, [Austin] Jackson - MIA - last year, but comparable to [Tristan] Wirfs - TB. It's a good [offensive tackle] class too, and Leatherwood won't be at the top of the class when there is a run on [offensive tackles], but will get selected as you see the options running out [mid-to-late Round 1]. Should be a solid pro."Β 

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

From a Walter Football articleΒ 

Here is what a director of college scouting said about Leatherwood:Β 
Β 

1. "Leatherwood is a late first-rounder at the minimum ... has finally [started playing like a man] and is playing with some urgency and aggression, which he didn't last year. He's a better athlete and player than Jonah Williams - CIN - was who went too high at No. 11, and Leatherwood can start at either tackle spot as well as guard if you needed him to. Not dominant and needs to clean up some hand-placement stuff, but he's athletic and a competent pass protector that can excel in the zone-stretch run game. Not a downhill, power-/gap-scheme guy. Not better than [Andrew] Thomas - NYG -, [Jedrick] Willis - CLE -, [Mekhi] Beckton - NYJ -, [Austin] Jackson - MIA - last year, but comparable to [Tristan] Wirfs - TB. It's a good [offensive tackle] class too, and Leatherwood won't be at the top of the class when there is a run on [offensive tackles], but will get selected as you see the options running out [mid-to-late Round 1]. Should be a solid pro."Β 

Here we go... β€œthe justify” it process, part of the grieving period.Β 
Β 

I doubt more than 5% of scouts had a 1st Round Grade on him.Β 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

Β 

I mean he can become an allpro, and ill love him as a player. . . but it was still a reach
just like Kolton, who is looking good, and would be good pick in a redraft, but was terrible value.Β 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Β 

Just trying to find what I can. Complaining in thread after thread doesn’t help anything. But if that’s what you enjoy be my guest. He’s the pick. I’m moving on. Let’s see what he’s got. Hope he proves everybody wrong.Β 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Just trying to find what I can. Complaining in thread after thread doesn’t help anything. But if that’s what you enjoy be my guest. He’s the pick. I’m moving on. Let’s see what he’s got. Hope he proves everybody wrong.Β 

Fair enough.Β 

• Like 1