๐Ÿˆ Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

So our starting o-line next year:

LT:ย Played his best ball at RT in college

LG: 38 years old coming off an Achilles injury that limited him to two games

C : Who replaced our LT in college when he was playing RT and got injured and then played LT his senior year.

RG: Who was a RT until he signed with us.

RT: Rookie who played LT and RG or Parker who played LT in college

Is it just me or does Cable just like moving people to new positions so he can always say they need more time or if they fail he can say they just could not transition.ย  I am not going to say I am an expert or even understand much about the o-line but can we simplify this a little.ย  Some guys are capable of moving around but not everyone and some may take a year or two.ย  Just go back and watch Penn at LT then watch him try RT.ย  He was a Pro Bowler in 2016 and 2017.ย  It was comedy watching his feet in 2018.ย  Brian Baldinger described changing sides as trying to eat with your opposite hand.ย  If you have not tried it do it tomorrow and if you have tried it you know the feeling.

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You guys think this is over????

Weโ€™re gonna draft Milton Williams at 48 tomorrow with Jevon Holland on the board.ย 

Iโ€™m not joking.ย 

Bro....trust me on this....you're going to LOVE Milton Williams at 48 when we spend 79 on Paris Ford.

• Like 1

Iโ€™m assuming he gave up 0 sacks in 2019 because Tua was his QB and is mobile. Mac Jones is not mobile. Carr is a little more mobile than Mac but doesnโ€™t really escape pressure.ย 
ย 

Honestly seems like Tua made him look better than he is.ย 
ย 

I hope Cable can work a miracle with the kid. Kolton Miller is not a comparable situation. Miller was a projected 1st Round Pick by every draft analyst. It was a minor reach. Leatherwood is graded a 2nd Round Pick by almost all draft analysts. Huge reach. The last second round talentย they took in the first round (Damon Arnette) hasnโ€™t worked out too well so far.ย 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Tom Cable has some serious pull in that building. Its really impressive how much say he has. Time for him to work his magic again and get that footwork fixed.ย 

I'm not sure. It's all from with hindsight obviously, but thinking back Gruden made it quite clear back when he re-joined us that he wanted to keep the franchise QB upright. That was the whole story with picking Kolton Miller. I get the same vibes from this pick as well, especially with us now also having a good RB.ย 

It looks like we telegraphed that as well, since the Jets moved up to 14 to make sure they picked before us.

ย 

@BayRaiderย - I had joked with you a week or so back that this would be the pick and youโ€™d have to like it!

This is just like a recurring bad dream. As soon as Goodell said the first syllable, my heart sank. Iโ€™d been trying to convince myself that I would be okay with RT and with Darrisaw still in the board, I think I wouldโ€™ve been okay with it. Disappointed, as Iโ€™ve been harping on all off season about how unnecessary it was to create additional needs by decimating the oline and how I felt we had to go into it focusing solely on D, but I wouldโ€™ve accepted Darrisaw.

But to do all that....create the unnecessary hole and need to fill it early in the draft, ignoring our pitiful defense and then take Leatherwood!!! Wow.ย 

And now you hear the rationalising and you suddenly realise how there was a reason why so many of us,@NYRaiderย had joked about Leatherwood being the pick. Because it was obvious they would do something like this. And to hear Mayock say he new it would be controversial just confirms that he knewย it was bad value.ย 

ย 

• Like 2

What i like about this pick:

• With what i'm hearing/reading this is at a worst case when things dont work out at OT a guy who will move to OG and start for years.
  • If he is similar to Miller andย it works out we have LT & RT fixed for the next 5+ years
  • It should mean that we don't take a step back on offense, which is nice
  • With all other spots at offense addressed it should hopefully mean we spend the 2nd & two 3rd rounders on D. We need more talent at D badly.

What i don't like about this pick:

• I fully agree with Stanfords coach Shaw. He was quite clear like 5 seconds before our pick: With the way our D played last year and with only 4 d-players being picked you have to pick D player now. There has to be elite D prospects available with only 4 guys picked and we go O-line
  • The value of this pick. I understand that you don't control trading down (there has to be a value offer on the table to be able to take it) but this just isnt a value pick.ย 
  • We seem to have telegraphed our intent to go o-line. The Jets spend a 2nd and 3rd to be in front of us. It is kind of a surprise to me we telegraphed this, because we have so many needs on D you would think that other teams would not be able to pick what we wanted to do, but apparently they can
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

So our OL right now projectsย something like:

Miller - Incognito - James - Good - Leatherwood

With Simpson being our probably LG of the future and Parker being a swing tackle?

I still think weโ€™ll definitely draft another guard with at least our 4th or 5th round pick at the latest. I see them building from within and having a home grown oLine for fairly cheap compared to the last few years.. of course, the starting spots more soย depending on Simpsons development or Richies recovery, but Iโ€™d feel a lot better with an OG pick and having Simpson and that pick as potential starters in 2022 and beyond. Other than that, and maybe a WR or RB in the 4th or 5th round, every other pick needs to be DB, DLine and LB!ย 
ย 

48 - Richie Grant/Moehrig/Holland FS - Competiton with Joseph, may the best man win

79 - Jackson Carman/Deonte Brown/Wyatt Davis OG - Guard of the future, competition for Richie and Simpson, potential Good replacement for 2022.

80 - Paulson Adebo/Benjamin St Justeย CB - Competition for Arnette, overall depth.ย 

121 - Tyler Shelvin NT.. Need another big body to pair with Hankinsย 

162 - Chubba Hubbard RB - Fresh legs for Josh and Drake,ย cut Richard for post draft cap savingsย 

167 - Tony Fields II LB - Undersized but get him into NFL weight room and could be Bradleyโ€™s next Bobby Wagner

200 - BPA lottery ticketย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by JarrodR86

I overreacted somewhat. Leatherwoods athletic profile, arm length, pedigree, positional versatility, and leadership all seem like pluses. I was just super zeroed in on Darrisaw and that bummed me out. Part of me wonders if his medical was what Mayock was referring to when talking about medicals. Still love Darrisaw from what we saw on the field.

I also watched more of Leatherwood. His struggles (on a few reps) against Ojulari were mainly technique based. He has a lot of coachable upside. His floor isn't mega high but he's a decent starter day 1. But his ceiling is big because the guy can move. You see it on outside runs. If he can continue to work his hands,ย develop a better kick slide, and be disciplined with his base (you saw him get too wide at times).

Still think it was a "reach". I'm not going to go out on a limb and say he's some plug and play pro bowler. But at least the player is not a crappy low floor one. How good or bad this draft is really depends on tomorrow. Can we find day 1 (2) impact defensive players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JarrodR86 said:

I still think weโ€™ll definitely draft another guard with at least our 4th or 5th round pick at the latest. I see them building from within and having a home grown oLine for fairly cheap compared to the last few years.. of course, the starting spots more soย depending on Simpsons development or Richies recovery, but Iโ€™d feel a lot better with an OG pick and having Simpson and that pick as potential starters in 2022 and beyond. Other than that, and maybe a WR in the 4th or 5th round, every other pick needs to be DB, DLine and LB!ย 

I'm find to try and grab the alabama/oklahoma centers if they fall, or any of the tackles that fall. Some of the tackles can slide to guard. If we keep both 3rds, that could be a good place for one of them.