🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I see some of you are in spin mode trying to justify this this morning.... 

Honestly, this sucks beyond words. Not that AL won't be a solid player, he has the pedigree and skills to be. He's a safe pick that shouldn't bust and could possibly grow into something more. But the optics are terrible.

They reportedly had options to trade down and didn't!! Is the FO that lost in their own evaluations to think this player would not be available later on? How obtuse can they be?

Gruden/Mayock's.... "we are a power run team" schtick can gtf out of here. It's 2021 and Gruden is still trying to play ball like it's 2001. This is a LOSING formula. 

Meanwhile... on defense, this team remains talentless and slow in a division loaded with offensive talent. 

They had a shot at several potential start defensive players and reached for a RT that would have been there at 48. This is simply disgusting. 

These idiots keep thinking they are smarter than everyone else.... and they've got 6 first round draft picks as evidence they are not.

The team did not get better on day 1 of the draft. And that is what they needed to do.

This.

From any which way you want to look at it - it doesn’t look good. Decimating the oline only to use your 1st rounder on an olineman when we’re crying out for starters on every level of our historically bad defense. Over valuing the RT spot when a mediocre vet would’ve put you in just as good a spot. Reaching on a player AGAIN! (Poor Leatherwood btw). Not trading back and getting something when, even if you had zoned in on OT, there were a bucketload of similar graded players so even if you miss out on AL, you could still get a solid player and get some compensation in the process.

But perhaps the big one for me - and I know that the FO aren’t in the business of thinking about the fans first - but after the turgid product they have turned out over the past few years, wouldn’t you think that they might want to bring someone in who could light a spark? Someone who could potentially do something different? It just seems so completely detached from what everyone else - fans, pundits, media - all see when they look at us. Did they not want to inject some positivity or star power into the franchise?

Quite clearly not. Just more of the same

Edited by reddevil
  • Like 2

All I will say is if they had options to trade down and didn’t then I agree that these 2 are just ate up with this “we’re gonna get our guy” crap. Why would you not do something 99% of the nfl (fans and writers and FO’s) think is the smart/right/better for the team move? Your BS , self delusion etc....period! Could’ve added another pick and still “got your guy”......like I said earlier, SMH x 1000!

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I see some of you are in spin mode trying to justify this this morning.... 

Honestly, this sucks beyond words. Not that AL won't be a solid player, he has the pedigree and skills to be. He's a safe pick that shouldn't bust and could possibly grow into something more. But the optics are terrible.

They reportedly had options to trade down and didn't!! Is the FO that lost in their own evaluations to think this player would not be available later on? How obtuse can they be?

Gruden/Mayock's.... "we are a power run team" schtick can gtf out of here. It's 2021 and Gruden is still trying to play ball like it's 2001. This is a LOSING formula. 

Meanwhile... on defense, this team remains talentless and slow in a division loaded with offensive talent. 

They had a shot at several potential start defensive players and reached for a RT that would have been there at 48. This is simply disgusting. 

These idiots keep thinking they are smarter than everyone else.... and they've got 6 first round draft picks as evidence they are not.

The team did not get better on day 1 of the draft. And that is what they needed to do.

How can you say Leatherwood would have been there at #48, you don’t know that and nobody does. 

You said earlier in the week you would take Darrisaw so how can you complain about the position taken? 

I get its a frustrating pick but people are spinning their position to suit atm.    

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 2

I understand wanting to be optimistic about Leatherwood. He looks the part and tested well. But, this staff does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. When I watched Leatherwood I was reminded of Brandon Parker which turned me off of him right away. I think Leatherwood's absolute upside is Russell Okung.

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think this is a pretty bad pick!

They could have selected Darrisaw or even Jenkins ahead of him easily.

They could have traded back for anything, since noone would have select Alex before them.

With that said he could develope into a solid RT for us. I would expect a brutal first year like Kolton Miller had and then steady developement. If there is no developement after year 2 he could kick inside to OG and be solid there. 

This move is again a testament to Gruden's job security IMO.

He doesn't care what the media, the fans think and he knows that Mark Davis loves him too much to question him.

They do this every year now. Leave clear holes on the roster before the draft and then reach on a big school kid with seemingly stable floor. 

Kolton Miller, Cle Ferrell, Damon Arnette, Alex Leatherwood...

Miller turned out to be a good pick.

Ferrell had a difficult start to his carrier, but maybe year 3 he break out.

Arnette had a rough rookie year, but could definately play solid in year 2 in the new scheme.

Leatherwood could turn out to be a good pick up by Cable in a year or 2.

I just hope that Mark Davis will step up if we miss the PO again.  

How can you complain about the value of the pick and then suggest Jenkins as who we should have taken when he hasn’t been taken yet? Literally makes no sense, as it apparent that would have been a reach 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’m assuming he gave up 0 sacks in 2019 because Tua was his QB and is mobile. Mac Jones is not mobile. Carr is a little more mobile than Mac but doesn’t really escape pressure. 

Honestly seems like Tua made him look better than he is. 

I hope Cable can work a miracle with the kid. Kolton Miller is not a comparable situation. Miller was a projected 1st Round Pick by every draft analyst. It was a minor reach. Leatherwood is graded a 2nd Round Pick by almost all draft analysts. Huge reach. The last second round talent they took in the first round (Damon Arnette) hasn’t worked out too well so far. 

Arnette played in a Covid year with no camp and got banged up a bunch. I feel like he flashed at times, and to say he's not working out well is extremely unfair and too soon. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I understand wanting to be optimistic about Leatherwood. He looks the part and tested well. But, this staff does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. When I watched Leatherwood I was reminded of Brandon Parker which turned me off of him right away. I think Leatherwood's absolute upside is Russell Okung.

I'll take a healthy Russel Okung at RT all day though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roi34 said:

I'll take a healthy Russel Okung at RT all day though

I consider Okung his top end potential, but I wouldn't bet he reaches it. I think it's more likely he ends up like a lot of other mid first round tackles who slide inside over time.

5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I consider Okung his top end potential, but I wouldn't bet he reaches it. I think it's more likely he ends up like a lot of other mid first round tackles who slide inside over time.

if he shows growth like Kolton I'll be happy. People are just impatient

The bias against the Raiders is incredible.

Is this a reach yes, is he a good player yes but other teams did insane stuff.

Again with people saying you could draft the LT and put him at RT and everything will be fine just look at the Orlando Brown JR situation in Baltimore he left the team to go play left tackle.

So maybe that’s just it. Mayock and Gruden get off on defying all the fans, writers, draft analysts, thinking they’re smarter than everyone else. It’s all about “getting their guy,” as several of you guys have already stated. Other than getting lucky with Crosby, and making a no brainer with Jacobs, what kinda draft chops have these two morons exhibited. Let’s see:

Ferrel - huge reach for an average starter with limited athleticism 

Abrams - just flat out horrible in coverage, makes the occasional big stop, doesn’t wrap up, most likely player to hurt himself on any given play

Ruggs - again, conventional wisdom told you to take a true #1 in Lamb, Jeudy, or Jefferson, and instead you choose the next James Jett, Johnny Lee Higgins, gimmicky speed turd that probably won’t ever top 45 catches in a season

Arnette - another big reach for a guy that allowed a 78% completion rate 

Nick Nelson - just sucks

Muse, PJ Hall, Bowden, Key - all top 100 picks that are just terrible

Another 8-8 season, if we’re lucky. 

Look at the bright side, at least we didn’t trade up to take Leatherwood. 

7 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The bias against the Raiders is incredible.

Is this a reach yes, is he a good player yes but other teams did insane stuff.

Again with people saying you could draft the LT and put him at RT and everything will be fine just look at the Orlando Brown JR situation in Baltimore he left the team to go play left tackle.

Leatherwood played RT?