🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, AutumnWind said:

So maybe that’s just it. Mayock and Gruden get off on defying all the fans, writers, draft analysts, thinking they’re smarter than everyone else. It’s all about “getting their guy,” as several of you guys have already stated. Other than getting lucky with Crosby, and making a no brainer with Jacobs, what kinda draft chops have these two morons exhibited. Let’s see:

Ferrel - huge reach for an average starter with limited athleticism 

Abrams - just flat out horrible in coverage, makes the occasional big stop, doesn’t wrap up, most likely player to hurt himself on any given play

Ruggs - again, conventional wisdom told you to take a true #1 in Lamb, Jeudy, or Jefferson, and instead you choose the next James Jett, Johnny Lee Higgins, gimmicky speed turd that probably won’t ever top 45 catches in a season

Arnette - another big reach for a guy that allowed a 78% completion rate 

Nick Nelson - just sucks

Muse, PJ Hall, Bowden, Key - all top 100 picks that are just terrible

Another 8-8 season, if we’re lucky. 

Look at the bright side, at least we didn’t trade up to take Leatherwood. 

These posts always crack me up. Mayock and Gruden have no been great that’s for sure but you just named the players they’ve missed on. You could do this same exact post for all 32 GMs in the nfl. You name Crosby and Mullen but forget about Moreau and Renfrow. Plus Simpson and Robertson id still put money on them being positive picks. You’re not even giving them a chance to develop. The Ruggs hate is crazy at this point. It’s been one damn year. I hope he explodes and you eat your words but just like last year everyone that says they’re done with this team will be crawling back and complaining like usual. Same old shtick. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Dessie said:

How can you say Leatherwood would have been there at #48, you don’t know that and nobody does. 

You said earlier in the week you would take Darrisaw so how can you complain about the position taken? 

I get its a frustrating pick but people are spinning their position to suit atm.    

>60% chance of being available at 48 per their analytics last night for one.

More to the point, Mayock mentioned they could have traded down, but needed a tackle. Strike 2 as they could have gotten him much later in round 1.

Lastly, even if he was off the board at 48, there would be a tackle there of similar stature. 

All the way around.... big reach, boring safe pick that will move the needle marginally in 2021.

48 minutes ago, Dessie said:

How can you complain about the value of the pick and then suggest Jenkins as who we should have taken when he hasn’t been taken yet? Literally makes no sense, as it apparent that would have been a reach 🤦‍♂️

There’s no point. They don’t hate the pick they hate they playing arm chair GM didn’t work out for them. Moehrig and JOK would’ve been better picks with the same logic but all 32 teams passed on them as well. 

• Like 3

Oline has a 60% hit rate in round 1. LWood will likely be a solid, but unspectacular draft pick ala Kolton Miller.

Comparing him to Brandon Parker is baseless nonsense.

The problem is, the defense is still a disaster. There were at least 4 players who could have had a major impact on the defense at 17. One is still out there in JOK who I would move up to take.

Or they are relegated to the next reach at FS where you won't find an impact playmaker who will make a change desperately needed to the defense. 

It's almost ridiculous how inside their own box Gruden/Mayock and staff are. They are trying to zig while the other zag and it's simply not a winning formula. 

It honestly would not shock me to see them take Jackson Carmon, the Clemson G at 48. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Oline has a 60% hit rate in round 1. LWood will likely be a solid, but unspectacular draft pick ala Kolton Miller.

Comparing him to Brandon Parker is baseless nonsense.

The problem is, the defense is still a disaster. There were at least 4 players who could have had a major impact on the defense at 17. One is still out there in JOK who I would move up to take.

Or they are relegated to the next reach at FS where you won't find an impact playmaker who will make a change desperately needed to the defense. 

It's almost ridiculous how inside their own box Gruden/Mayock and staff are. They are trying to zig while the other zag and it's simply not a winning formula. 

It honestly would not shock me to see them take Jackson Carmon, the Clemson G at 48. 

Who would you pick at 17 given the circumstances?

Nothing wrong with the player.

But when your team prefers a guy you know is lower than consensus, you gain more capital, and trade back.  

Ruggs, Arnette, Leatherwood, there were no trade downs available? I don't believe that.  Trade down, get another 3rd and 4th, and take your guy.  

Mayock and Gruden have zero clue what other teams are thinking, they think everyone is out to get their guy, who no one ranks where thy take him.  

• Like 1

Analysis: I projected Leatherwood to go in the first round a month ago, so it wasn't surprising that his name came off the board on Thursday night. I did not expect him to picked when Teven Jenkins (Oklahoma State) and Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech) were still on the board, though.

Leatherwood is a first-round value because of his intelligence, versatility and toughness. He'll play in the league for many years, and you won't have to worry about his maturity and work ethic. Just plug him in at tackle or guard and let him do his thing. We'll see in time if Darrisaw or Jenkins turn out to be better players in the end.

Edited by Jeremy408

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I thought we had a guy in Jerryd Jones-Smith at RT, why did Mayock lie like that?

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

>60% chance of being available at 48 per their analytics last night for one.

More to the point, Mayock mentioned they could have traded down, but needed a tackle. Strike 2 as they could have gotten him much later in round 1.

Lastly, even if he was off the board at 48, there would be a tackle there of similar stature. 

All the way around.... big reach, boring safe pick that will move the needle marginally in 2021.

Only thing with that though is that JOK Tevin Jenkins and Azeez Moehring shouldn’t be on the board day 2 based on what most said. And Dare saw shouldn’t have been available when we picked apparently.

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So you won't aknowledge you were way off on his value? Every team passed on him, that should tell you something.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The fact that Mayock is consistently defending his picks and why they didn't trade down vs celebrating that we landed a good player tells you all you need to know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The fact that Mayock is consistently defending his picks and why they didn't trade down vs celebrating that we landed a good player tells you all you need to know. 

Lol that part I agree with. But who would you have drafted at 17 given the circumstances?