🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

43 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I don't have any issue with Alex Leatherwood, I have issue with our decision makers not getting value trading into the 20s to select him and getting a 3rd this year or at least a 3rd next year. There's no way they couldn't have gotten something like that back. The failure to gain value while they build this team is getting ridiculous.

this. this is the point people keep missing. for all the people saying they trust Grudock and are glad that they got "their guy", i would ask if they felt the same way if we selected Leatherwood with the #8 overall pick.Β 

its like buying a Camry for 50k. sure, it could be exactly the car you want, and after putting in all your research, assessing the traits you are looking for, you zeroed in on the camry as your next car. but spending a 50k budget on it is just bad business.

so even if you are the smartest guy in the room and believe that Leatherwood is better than the pack, its still your duty to assess what his draft value is and maximize the value of the #17 pick.

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I wish we would've traded #17 to Baltimore for Orlando Brown.

i dont. brown wanted out because he insisted on playing LT. we dont have that need. and i'd rather get a good cost controleld tackle for 5 years than have to pay Brown big money after 1 year.

i just wish we ever extracted full value from our draft picks.

3 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

this. this is the point people keep missing. for all the people saying they trust Grudock and are glad that they got "their guy", i would ask if they felt the same way if we selected Leatherwood with the #8 overall pick.Β 

its like buying a Camry for 50k. sure, it could be exactly the car you want, and after putting in all your research, assessing the traits you are looking for, you zeroed in on the camry as your next car. but spending a 50k budget on it is just bad business.

so even if you are the smartest guy in the room and believe that Leatherwood is better than the pack, its still your duty to assess what his draft value is and maximize the value of the #17 pick.

I have been pounding the table for value for years and I see nothing of the sort on many levels.Β  We never trade back, Grudock gets "their guys", they underperform and that is both via draft and FA.Β Β 

Trading back into the late 20's for multiple day 2 picks over the next few years and landing Darrisaw/ Leatherwood or a number of T prospects would have been better value than AL at 17.Β Β 

• Like 1

Just now, Turnobili said:

i dont. brown wanted out because he insisted on playing LT. we dont have that need. and i'd rather get a good cost controleld tackle for 5 years than have to pay Brown big money after 1 year.

i just wish we ever extracted full value from our draft picks.

He wants that LT money, we paid Trent $21M to play RT. I'd rather have a Pro Bowler than an unproven player.

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

I have been pounding the table for value for years and I see nothing of the sort on many levels.Β  We never trade back, Grudock gets "their guys", they underperform and that is both via draft and FA.Β Β 

Trading back into the late 20's for multiple day 2 picks over the next few years and landing Darrisaw/ Leatherwood or a number of T prospects would have been better value than AL at 17.Β Β 

Value wins championships. Value builds teams.Β 
Β 

Mayock and Jon are both idiots of epic proportion. They don’t believe in value. They basically admit it.Β 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Darrisaw and Farley.Β 
Β 

Darrisaw will be a Franchise RT. Leatherwood will be a guard after one or two average/bad RT seasons.Β 

Very interesting take. I think if that happens then this is one of the worst raider pics ever. I highly doubt though that happens.

I also thought it was very interesting that Darrisaw fell so far. I wanted him until I found out that he was lazy.

Edited by Jeremy408

Just now, BayRaider said:

Value wins championships. Value builds teams.Β 
Β 

Mayock and Jon are both idiots of epic proportion. They don’t believe in value. They basically admit it.Β 

It's sad and frustrating.Β  ThisΒ team is stuck in the middle of the Atlantic (AFC West) with no rudder.Β Β 

With our average at best FA signings, lack of depth on many levels and our still atrocious D I do not see anything better than a .500 season.Β  .500 will be a struggle and reaching .500 with our talent level is a major accomplishment because we a re a 4 to 6 win team based on overall talent.Β Β 

12 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He always say this BS, and if it is true they probably wanted Darrishaw no way in hell anybody was trading up for Leatherwood, and I'm betting it was the team that Darrishaw fell toΒ Β so they end up giving up nothing we leave extra pick or picks on the table smh.