🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

For all those posting numbers of Leatherwood’s Athletic Profile, all Athletic numbers are skewed because there was no combine. Pro Day Numbers are all heavily inflated, always have been. It makes Leatherwood look like a way better athlete than he is. 

All you have to do is watch Leatherwood on tape and see him severely struggle because of his athleticism. It is NOT a coaching issue. It is a bonafide not athletic enough issue.

He moves very well in space for an OT. You saw it in the run game. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

For all those posting numbers of Leatherwood’s Athletic Profile, all Athletic numbers are skewed because there was no combine. Pro Day Numbers are all heavily inflated, always have been. It makes Leatherwood look like a way better athlete than he is. 

All you have to do is watch Leatherwood on tape and see him severely struggle because of his athleticism. It is NOT a coaching issue. It is a bonafide not athletic enough issue.

Don't get me wrong I've definitely watched his tape months before he got drafted and I agree he did not do a good job against speed rushers off the edge(see the Georgia game against Azeez) I don't think that has anything to do with his athleticism it has to do with it looks like a footwork issue. Very similar to Kolton miller. In terms of his measurable's or testing nobody can deny he's a plus athlete at the Tackle position(combine or no combine).

Now don't get me wrong I would've drafted there saw yesterday(until I found out that he doesn't play with effort). I would've also drafted Jalen Phillips or Caleb Farley(but I think we can all agree that they don't come without risks).

But just because we didn't want him at 17 doesn't mean that he's not athletic let's not go overboard.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

He moves very well in space for an OT. You saw it in the run game. 

He can’t readjust fast enough if he makes even a slight mistake in pass protection. The athleticism isn’t there. He has to be a technician-master making zero mistakes to make up for it in the NFL if he wants to be a decent RT. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

We’ll revisit this post in a year and you’ll see I’m right on Darrisaw/Leatherwood. 

Don’t get me wrong, Leatherwood isn’t going to be Brandon Parker at RT, but he’ll be below-average, while Darrisaw is much better. 

If it's as accurate as your take on Herbert, we're good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Don't get me wrong I've definitely watched his tape months before he got drafted and I agree he did not do a good job against speed rushers off the edge(see the Georgia game against Azeez) I don't think that has anything to do with his athleticism it has to do with it looks like a footwork issue. Very similar to Kolton miller. In terms of his measurable's or testing nobody can deny he's a plus athlete at the Tackle position(combine or no combine).

Now don't get me wrong I would've drafted there saw yesterday(until I found out that he doesn't play with effort). I would've also drafted Jalen Phillips or Caleb Farley(but I think we can all agree that they don't come without risks).

But just because we didn't want him at 17 doesn't mean that he's not athletic let's not go overboard.

I’m not saying he’s not athletic. He’s not as athletic as his numbers indicate. 

he does have the profile to become a very good RT in the zone scheme... ie if we are running a stretch play to the left, he can get to the guy half a gap over, cut him off, and turn him around.

my issue with Leatherwood, like Miller, is that he doesnt really seem to have the power to displace people or push them back if we were running a play right at him.

my dislike of this pick does not come from a belief that he's going to be a surefire bust... i think starting at RT and holding up as a rookie is well within his range of outcomes.

Just now, oakdb36 said:

If it's as accurate as your take on Herbert, we're good.

I see you’ve gone into the justification period defending this absolute pathetic pick as well. Like I said, Leatherwood will be a solid fine guard, or Average to Below Average RT. He’s not gonna flat out bust. 

However, he absolutely isn’t going to be as good as Darrisaw, and you would never made that claim before this pick. You were on Darrisaw more than anybody. 

Darrisaw will be the much better pro. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

We’ll revisit this post in a year and you’ll see I’m right on Darrisaw/Leatherwood. 

Don’t get me wrong, Leatherwood isn’t going to be Brandon Parker at RT, but he’ll be below-average, while Darrisaw is much better. 

Gladly revisit this. You said book it that he'll be a G by year two so I'm excited to see that play out!

Been wanting to ask this for a while. What makes you so confident in your evaluation of offensive lineman? Whats your scouting background? What "film" do you watch? Do you have a write up on Leatherwood or any write ups from previous drafts and the OL that got picked? I personally don't know much about OL in general so I'd love to learn more and you seem to have it all figured out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mike Mayock said Leatherwood was the highest ranked player on their board when we picked, lol.

A Raider Exclusive.... as always. I bet you, actually, guarantee you, we were the only team in the NFL with him on our 1st Round Board. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I see you’ve gone into the justification period defending this absolute pathetic pick as well. Like I said, Leatherwood will be a solid fine guard, or Average to Below Average RT. He’s not gonna flat out bust. 

However, he absolutely isn’t going to be as good as Darrisaw, and you would never made that claim before this pick. You were on Darrisaw more than anybody. 

Darrisaw will be the much better pro. 

No, i still don't like the pick. Just making fun of you.

Edited by oakdb36

Leatherwood tested well in explosiveness with things like his vert, broad jump, 40. but judging the athletic ability of an OL prospect is more than looking at straight line explosion. its about having enough twitchiness and fluidity to adjust to different pass rush moves in an instant. thats where Leatherwood's pass-pro flaws have shown up