🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I get what you're saying. I just think they viewed Miller as the long term LT and put him there right away, instead of messing with him so much early in his career, which I agree with. 

As far as Leatherwood, do you see anything that will prohibit him from being successful at RT?

Miller had already shown he could be on either side and not screw him up.  I understand the philosophy of keeping him where you want him to play but that goes back to taking Brown instead of Parker.

As far as Leatherwood is concerned it is more about what I have not seen more than what I have seen.  What I do not like is his lack of aggression and strength.   He has good highlights but does not play with that mentality or level enough.   I do not see anywhere that says he took reps at RT in games or during his pro day.  So once again we are taking his measurables and saying he should be able to.  You want to flip a coin then do it in the 4th round.  Not at pick 17.  Leatherwood has good foot work but that does not mean he can reverse it.  Some players may be able to reverse their footing in a matter of a couple months but some will take years or might not ever be able to.  Try brushing your teeth with your opposite hand.  It could take a month or two to feel natural.  You not only have to work on the muscles but have to recreate the connections in the brain.  Look up the 10,000 hour rule or the backwards brain bicycle.  It will be different for everyone but you can not assume you are such a great coach you can teach someone in a single offseason.  Do not be surprised if we just drafted a RG at 17 and Good will be the day 1 starter.  This also leaves us thin if Incognito has a setback.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

You play Miller at LT that year because he was the teams future Penn was not. He was already half way out the door. They knew Miller was raw and didn't want him to start at RT then move to LT the following year. 

He played both in college and was better at RT.  He was Lane Johnson and I did not have a problem drafting him to play RT.  Playing him at RT would not have hurt him and there have also been players that come in and play a different position when they are the LT of the future.  Beyond his measurables what says leatherwood is going to be effective as a RT?  Nothing because he has not played it.  I am not saying he is going to fail but I am sick of this team taking unnecessary chances and it happens a lot with Cable.

24 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It is true that Parker was not suppose to start in 2018 but it was not strength that handicapped him.  Both him and Penn had 2 left feet out there.  Our best RT in 2018 was Miller.  Him and Sharpe were the only 2 guys that should have been  out there.  Cable blaming his strength just shows he was looking for excuses.  DEs were just running by Parker.

Table also mentioned that he didn't have a feet right either.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Table also mentioned that he didn't have a feet right either.

Which then backs up my opinion then that we would have been better off with Parker at LT and Miller at RT.  Then we would have starters that at least knew the fundamentals of the positions they were playing.  Penn did not have his feet right either.  So this time we drafted a LT in the 1st who has not played RT and have him penciled in as the RT starter instead taking a LT in the 3rd with no RT experience to be a backup RT who should sit for the year.  Seems like we are making a bigger bet with the same strategy.  Maybe it is Gruden and Mayock because they did similar things in last years draft also.

Are we.... smart? Just think about it. 5+ OT's were selected after we took Leatherwood. Check out the T's who were on the board when we were up in the 2nd, pretty slim pickings.

Somehow landing TM makes me feel a lot better about the Leatherwood pick.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Are we.... smart? Just think about it. 5+ OT's were selected after we took Leatherwood. Check out the T's who were on the board when we were up in the 2nd, pretty slim pickings.

I still don't like it necessarily. 

But that aspect does make me feel better about the Leatherwood pick. I'll be honest, I didn't watch a ton of Leatherwood. The question is, instead of it being a massive reach, was it perhaps not as big of a reach as it seems? With that run on tackles happening after our first and before our second, where would Leatherwood have slotted in? After Darrishaw, after that it could legitimately be a matter of preference. 

I still think we left value on the table. However, Leatherwood is a very seasoned starter on the OL, in the SEC, for perhaps the biggest powerhouse program in college football. He has a ridiculous athletic profile. And prior to this past season happening I feel like I remember seeing a lot of Leatherwood being a midish first round selection in a lot of way too early mock drafts. 

I still think we could have handled it better. I still think we sacrificed some value. But it may end up still working out well for us. I mean I am no OL expert at all. But the guys that were available in the 2nd round at OT weren't guys I feel confident about immediately starting. Moehrig on the other hand is the clear cut top S in the class (though I do love Holland as well). End of the day if you come out of the first two rounds with the top S in the class and a guy you believe can be a good, solid starting RT that's a good first two rounds. 

If the staff is right and Leatherwood is the type of RT they obviously believe and he can be the bookend to Miller that will be what matters. 

35 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

i still dont like it even in that scenario lol. picking in the middle of the 2nd, we still could have taken Cosmi or Radunz to be the RT, both of whom I like better than Leatherwood. heck i'm not even sure i dont like the idea of taking Spencer Brown in the 3rd more than I like Leatherwood in the 2nd. at that spot in the 2nd i would have loved Ojulari too, or JOK. and then taking Brown in the 3rd

the moehrig selection does help though.

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Which then backs up my opinion then that we would have been better off with Parker at LT and Miller at RT.  Then we would have starters that at least knew the fundamentals of the positions they were playing.  Penn did not have his feet right either.  So this time we drafted a LT in the 1st who has not played RT and have him penciled in as the RT starter instead taking a LT in the 3rd with no RT experience to be a backup RT who should sit for the year.  Seems like we are making a bigger bet with the same strategy.  Maybe it is Gruden and Mayock because they did similar things in last years draft also.

Miller is One of the better left tackles in the NFL

28 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Fitting as I expect his career trajectory will be very similar to Gallo. He'll fail as an OT before eventually becoming a good guard but never living up to his draft pick status.

Leatherwood doesn’t have 32 inch arms