🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

Pretty sure everyone already saw that Baltimore and another team had rumors surrounding them that they planned on drafting Leatherwood in the first.  Makes me feel better about this pick.  Just wanted to throw this out here.  I absented myself from this forum after Friday night.  I hope you're all sober by now after this weekend's roller coaster ride.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

What they say is that he’s not the best pass blocker right now. Mayock essentially addressed that by saying we drafted him because of what he can do in the run game(apparently he’s the best run blocking right tackle next to Tevin Jenkins) but he has the ability to develop into a plus pass blocker.

yes, i seen that. And with his measurables, and Cables history with Miller, im confident he can be coached up. 

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

its not a 1 to 1. its the concept of taking a player earlier than he should or could have gone. that a player worked out doesnt always justify the spot he was selected.

Yeah but we’re talking about a player that is A physical specimen who some thought when you go in the first round others thought he would go in the second round and we’re comparing that to a player that’s not a physical specimen by any sense of the word that more than likely was going to go in day three. 

I understand what you’re saying though. But like I said before we don’t know who else wanted him in the first round.

Just now, Geezy said:

yes, i seen that. And with his measurables, and Cables history with Miller, im confident he can be coached up. 

That’s where I’m at. This pick all comes down to how you view Cable. If you think he’s a bad line coach Who just happen to get lucky with Colton Miller then you’re going to hate this pick. 

But if you believe in his ability as a line coach, you will at the very least understand the pick

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

what if we took Hunter Renfrow in the 2nd round and thought it was a good idea since he has panned out to be a solid player?

specifically, the 2018 draft class had a much weaker tackle group than 2021. the top 4 tackles were McGlinchey, Miller, Wynn, and Corbett...  

Miller was considered a reach, and has turned out to be the best of that bunch. 

• Like 1

i just think guys get too caught up in what the guys on TV say. They are wrong every year, as are GMs. So much goes into a prospect being successful. Thats why i have no problem with a team going after their guy. If a player has traits the staff feels they can develop, why not go after him? Id be more concerned if we were trying to stuff square pegs into round holes. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Geezy said:

i just think guys get too caught up in what the guys on TV say. They are wrong every year, as are GMs. So much goes into a prospect being successful. Thats why i have no problem with a team going after their guy. If a player has traits the staff feels they can develop, why not go after him? Id be more concerned if we were trying to stuff square pegs into round holes. 

It's true. The draft has become so much about pageantry. Between the media, youtube draft experts, twitter experts, etc. it's a bloated field of opinions. Unfortunately, those opinions get weighted heavily.

Bottom line, you will rarely go broke drafting Oline in round 1. >60% of the picks hit.

Where it looks bad is if a guy like Phillips who went 1 pick later becomes an all-pro type pass rusher. A position the raiders have had so many issues with for decades. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

It's true. The draft has become so much about pageantry. Between the media, youtube draft experts, twitter experts, etc. it's a bloated field of opinions. Unfortunately, those opinions get weighted heavily.

Bottom line, you will rarely go broke drafting Oline in round 1. >60% of the picks hit.

Where it looks bad is if a guy like Phillips who went 1 pick later becomes an all-pro type pass rusher. A position the raiders have had so many issues with for decades

if the roster was more well rounded, as i believe it will be going into next years draft(hopefully) i think we could move forward with more high risk high reward picks like Phillips, who is a stud with major injury concerns. We chose the safe route, RT is hardly sexy, but its obviously a priority with Gruden. 

my hope going into next year, is that we have solidified the roster enough where we arent just plugging holes but able to focus on impact and are in a better position to take those types of chances without it setting us back so much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Pretty sure everyone already saw that Baltimore and another team had rumors surrounding them that they planned on drafting Leatherwood in the first.  Makes me feel better about this pick.  Just wanted to throw this out here.  I absented myself from this forum after Friday night.  I hope you're all sober by now after this weekend's roller coaster ride.

Lol they used this same excuse every time they reach, that someone else was gong to take him, they said that about Arnette last year. They could have traded down added more picks and still got Darrishaw who everybody loved or Jenkins any of the good Ots that were left even still got Leatherwood. Them trying to act like Leatherwood is some once in a generation talent they had to have is a joke.

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Where it looks bad is if a guy like Phillips who went 1 pick later becomes an all-pro type pass rusher. A position the raiders have had so many issues with for decades. 

Lol this teams horrible track record on drafting is the reason it looks bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

This is key

Sure he was considered a reach but I had predicted Gruden was going to shock the world and take Miller who I was high on, even over the guy SF took, but I still expected it would be with a trade down, and this is were they routinely fail. Even if your reach pans out the difference between a good draft and great draft is working the draft and adding even more assets with a chance to add more good players and make it a great draft. The Raiders could have had the same top two picks added more picks instead we lost a pick.

18 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Lol they used this same excuse every time they reach, that someone else was gong to take him, they said that about Arnette last year. They could have traded down added more picks and still got Darrishaw who everybody loved or Jenkins any of the good Ots that were left even still got Leatherwood. Them trying to act like Leatherwood is some once in a generation talent they had to have is a joke.

100%. Mayock has soooo many friends. Gruden too. This is just Nagy, along with some Raider Beat Writers playing cleanup for their friend Mayock/Gruden. No one was taking Leatherwood in the 1st Round, lol. 

14 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Lol this teams horrible track record on drafting is the reason it looks bad.

Yep. Worst drafting team in the NFL since 2015. Not an exaggeration, an actual fact. Mayock hasn’t helped at all. 

the same people who hyperanalyze prospects leading up to the draft, making and looking at mock drafts... all completely flip the switch the second a draft pick is made and say you cant analyze or criticize a draft pick until years later

• Like 1