Jump to content

🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This is basically what I’ve been saying too. Multiple times. They give Jacobs no blame what so ever. All 100% OL. NFL teams play Jacobs shallow and are also more comfortable run blitzing him often because he has no long-speed at all. It vastly shows on tape + he ran like a 4.63.

This is clearly why we drafted Ruggs over other WRs last year too. 
Ruggs in theory keeps safety and 1 CB, a little more honest pre snap. 

There have been a lot of succesful RBs in the NFL without breakaway speed by the way. 
But as mentioned before, If you know a player has a flaw, and draft him anyways, you need to use him in a way that hides that flaw. 

Jacobs 1.9 yards before contact was brutal last year,  but, Ill leave it at that, as I know itll just be labeled an excuse lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

In what regard? It’s not a highlight day it also shows a lot of the bad on Leatherwood too.

It's cherrypicked to support what he's saying. For instance, there is film showing Leatherwood getting obliterated by the bullrush. I'd argue one of his examples of Leatherwood being good against the bullrush shows the exact opposite.

Edited by Rich7sena
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

It's cherrypicked to support what he's saying. For instance, there is film showing Leatherwood getting obliterated by the bullrush. I'd argue one of his examples of Leatherwood being good against the bullrush shows the exact opposite.

I think it’s pretty clear on any film that the positive to Leatherwood is that he’s great and run blocking and The negative is that he is inconsistent in past blocking(which would explain why in one play the film would show that he can handle a bull rush and then another place I can show that he doesn’t handle the bull rush)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good: I will say this leatherwood has length and good leverage and can anchor well as a guard. 

bad: footwork, cement shoes

ugly: gets caught leaning and has a tendency to whiff vs guys with technique. Slow feet speed guys give him fits 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Me too, but we needed those picks for defense, knowing we'd take an OT round one LOL.

then it would be Gruden only cares about offense lmao 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Geezy said:

then it would be Gruden only cares about offense lmao 

My thing is if we picked Darrisaw, they will be at least three or four people on here that would be saying "Well we didn't need to take a tackle. We overreacted need." Point is is that there's always something to complain about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

My thing is if we picked Darrisaw, they will be at least three or four people on here that would be saying "Well we didn't need to take a tackle. We overreacted need." Point is is that there's always something to complain about. 

Lol this entire forum knows we needed a tackle, and it's mostly not about who we picked but where we picked him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Good: I will say this leatherwood has length and good leverage and can anchor well as a guard. 

bad: footwork, cement shoes

ugly: gets caught leaning and has a tendency to whiff vs guys with technique. Slow feet speed guys give him fits 

You’re basically spot on with all of this. 
 

He also uses the hop step technique which is super strange to see an Alabama player use, it’s not regarded as high-end technique that high-end schools and the NFL teach. I’m surprised they even let him use it. Maybe he had no choice on those bullrushes. He gets noticeably pushed back and outmatched by powerful bullrushes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Lol this entire forum knows we needed a tackle, and it's mostly not about who we picked but where we picked him.

Well actually if you look at a couple of weeks before the draft there was an argument going in I think the draft thread about whether or not we need to address tackle in the first round and that we need to go with the best player available. So I didn't just make that up LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You’re basically spot on with all of this. 
 

He also uses the hop step technique which is super strange to see an Alabama player use, it’s not regarded as high-end technique that high-end schools and the NFL teach. I’m surprised they even let him use it. Maybe he had no choice on those bullrushes. He gets noticeably pushed back and outmatched by powerful bullrushes. 

2nd level blocks and pulling are his calling cards imo. He does very well vs lb’s. I think he’s gonna have a very rough rookie year. He’s a lil bit better than young but young is garbage to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

2nd level blocks and pulling are his calling cards imo. He does very well vs lb’s. I think he’s gonna have a very rough rookie year. He’s a lil bit better than young but young is garbage to me.

Yeah if they start Leatherwood at RT I still he’s gonna be rough his rookie year. I’ll wait til 2 years pass before making a judgment though. And unlike Ferrell, at least Leatherwood would be an absolute stud guard if he fails at RT. 
 

Ferrell sucks at all positions. Well, he’s a very solid Run Defending DE on early downs, but it may seem like he just simply isn’t athletic enough to pass rush. Teach Mayock a lesson to never draft a guy who skips his athletic testing. They skip it for a reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah if they start Leatherwood at RT I still he’s gonna be rough his rookie year. I’ll wait til 2 years pass before making a judgment though. And unlike Ferrell, at least Leatherwood would be an absolute stud guard if he fails at RT. 
 

Ferrell sucks at all positions. Well, he’s a very solid Run Defending DE on early downs, but it may seem like he just simply isn’t athletic enough to pass rush. Teach Mayock a lesson to never draft a guy who skips his athletic testing. They skip it for a reason. 

Thing about leatherwood is if he gets carr killed I don’t know if he can mentally come back from that. I really think it had a huge impact on penn. 

I like cle I think he just has to be available more seems like he’s always injured or sick 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah if they start Leatherwood at RT I still he’s gonna be rough his rookie year. I’ll wait til 2 years pass before making a judgment though. And unlike Ferrell, at least Leatherwood would be an absolute stud guard if he fails at RT. 
 

Ferrell sucks at all positions. Well, he’s a very solid Run Defending DE on early downs, but it may seem like he just simply isn’t athletic enough to pass rush. Teach Mayock a lesson to never draft a guy who skips his athletic testing. They skip it for a reason. 

He generated some good pressure and strip sacked Darnold after beating Mekhi Becton around the corner. I think its fair to give him this year to see what he can do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He generated some good pressure and strip sacked Darnold after beating Mekhi Becton around the corner. I think its fair to give him this year to see what he can do.

A game here and there doesn't really impress me though. He's simply not a very athletic guy. But yes 100% agreed he should be the starting DE this year and get a lot of reps. Give him some pass rushing opportunities as well, although give Max more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...