🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

Ferrell, much like Miller, has gotten better every year for us. When he was out with the injury we really missed his ability to seal the edge. We all knew he wasn't going to be a 12+ sack guy but if he's a high-end run stopper and can get 7-8 sacks then I am content. Not thrilled like I would have been with White/Allen/Oliver, but saying he sucks isn't accurate. Non spectacular sure, but not bad.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Ferrell, much like Miller, has gotten better every year for us. When he was out with the injury we really missed his ability to seal the edge. We all knew he wasn't going to be a 12+ sack guy but if he's a high-end run stopper and can get 7-8 sacks then I am content. Not thrilled like I would have been with White/Allen/Oliver, but saying he sucks isn't accurate. Non spectacular sure, but not bad.

7 sacks a year and Elite Run Stopper is what I wanted from him. I agree we all knew he wasn't going to be a premium pass rusher, but we still needed him to be an above-average pass rusher. And while he seals the edge well, he still hasn't developed in the passing game yet. He had 2 sacks in 11 games last year. Maybe that's 3.5 if he plays all year. 

If he can raise his pressure rate and raise his sacks to around 7.5 a year (considering we have 17 games now) then he will be the player we drafted him to be. This is a make or break year for him in the pass rushing department. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Good: I will say this leatherwood has length and good leverage and can anchor well as a guard. 

bad: footwork, cement shoes

ugly: gets caught leaning and has a tendency to whiff vs guys with technique. Slow feet speed guys give him fits 

I wouldn’t say that’s the case all the time - but he does get his feet stuck in certain sets. Sometimes he looks like he has really smooth footwork, but when he gets caught with a wide base, he can’t readjust.

He definitely has some commonly exposed flaws that if he doesn’t clean up are going to plague him through his career. 

There is a lot to like too though and you just hope he can put it together. 

Interesting that Balt just brought in Villanueva. Perhaps there is some truth to them wanting him in the first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah if they start Leatherwood at RT I still he’s gonna be rough his rookie year. I’ll wait til 2 years pass before making a judgment though. And unlike Ferrell, at least Leatherwood would be an absolute stud guard if he fails at RT. 

Ferrell sucks at all positions. Well, he’s a very solid Run Defending DE on early downs, but it may seem like he just simply isn’t athletic enough to pass rush. Teach Mayock a lesson to never draft a guy who skips his athletic testing. They skip it for a reason. 

Agree with the first paragraph, Leatherwood has some tools and promise (I'm not a good OLine judge so not going to pretend I know his strengths and weaknesses) but I expect an inconsistent year from him and hopefully he'll mature nicely, though if you're going to pick a RT in round 1 he really should be a Pro Bowler type IMO.

Disagree on the 2nd paragraph. To say Ferrell 'sucks' is just plain wrong. He's not a flashy pass rusher but in the games he played healthy he's a strong run defender, high IQ defender and IMO will surprise a few people this year, I'm still holding on the Ferrell stock and he shows all the signs (to me) of breaking out this year. His pass rush looked improved as well even though the stats didn't appear. Now, he's always going to be a bit underwhelming for where he was picked, no argument there from me but he doesn't suck. That's just more hyperbole. I think he'll be good in our strong side 'big DE' role. 

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Agree with the first paragraph, Leatherwood has some tools and promise (I'm not a good OLine judge so not going to pretend I know his strengths and weaknesses) but I expect an inconsistent year from him and hopefully he'll mature nicely, though if you're going to pick a RT in round 1 he really should be a Pro Bowler type IMO.

Disagree on the 2nd paragraph. To say Ferrell 'sucks' is just plain wrong. He's not a flashy pass rusher but in the games he played healthy he's a strong run defender, high IQ defender and IMO will surprise a few people this year, I'm still holding on the Ferrell stock and he shows all the signs (to me) of breaking out this year. His pass rush looked improved as well even though the stats didn't appear. Now, he's always going to be a bit underwhelming for where he was picked, no argument there from me but he doesn't suck. That's just more hyperbole. I think he'll be good in our strong side 'big DE' role. 

Read my above post. Ferrell still needs to develop in the pass rush game. Yeah, we never expected premium pass rush from him, but he still needs to be a competent pass rusher. A decent pressure rate with a solid 7-8 sacks a year. Not be abysmal and useless in the pass rush. Run Defending Only DE’s is something you draft in the 4th Round. Hope he can develop in the pass rush game this year and be the player we want him to be. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Read my above post. Ferrell still needs to develop in the pass rush game. Yeah, we never expected premium pass rush from him, but he still needs to be a competent pass rusher. A decent pressure rate with a solid 7-8 sacks a year. Not be abysmal and useless in the pass rush. Run Defending Only DE’s is something you draft in the 4th Round. Hope he can develop in the pass rush game this year and be the player we want him to be. 

Haha I just read it after I posted that 😂😂 too late! Agreed with the above 👍 

Edited to add if I recall wasn't Ferrell our highest graded rusher last year on PFF...... I don't put much stock in PFF TBH but I think you've used their stats previously in our discussions so must rate them as at least credible.

Edited by Darbsk

its really comical seeing guys like Sanjit put up videos now justifying the Leatherwood pick. i took a look through his old videos, and he also said the raiders had the league's best draft in both 2019 and 2020 in his response videos... where he also called the Ferrell pick the best possible pick, etc.

i appreciate guys that gather all-22 and put them into digestible videos, but the man's takes are just homer fanboyism turned up to 11

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

its really comical seeing guys like Sanjit put up videos now justifying the Leatherwood pick. i took a look through his old videos, and he also said the raiders had the league's best draft in both 2019 and 2020 in his response videos... where he also called the Ferrell pick the best possible pick, etc.

i appreciate guys that gather all-22 and put them into digestible videos, but the man's takes are just homer fanboyism turned up to 11

Sanjit and Raider Cody are incredible fanboys and nobody should pay them any attention. 

If you never offer any criticism, on any aspect of your team, your takes are one sided and clearly not valid. There should be a balance. Obviously, if your team is good, the positive will be super high and critical takes very low (although still there), but there needs to be both. 

41 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

7 sacks a year and Elite Run Stopper is what I wanted from him. I agree we all knew he wasn't going to be a premium pass rusher, but we still needed him to be an above-average pass rusher. And while he seals the edge well, he still hasn't developed in the passing game yet. He had 2 sacks in 11 games last year. Maybe that's 3.5 if he plays all year. 

If he can raise his pressure rate and raise his sacks to around 7.5 a year (considering we have 17 games now) then he will be the player we drafted him to be. This is a make or break year for him in the pass rushing department. 

💯 This is the most realistic post on clelin Ferrell that I’ve seen on here. 

9 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

💯 This is the most realistic post on clelin Ferrell that I’ve seen on here. 

I'm sure the same thing has been posted by other posters. However, my pre-comp before the draft of Ferrell was Brandon Graham. If we can get 90% of what Brandon Graham is, we got ourselves a damn good player. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I'm sure the same thing has been posted by other posters. However, my pre-comp before the draft of Ferrell was Brandon Graham. If we can get 90% of what Brandon Graham is, we got ourselves a damn good player. 

Well no usually the conversation is he’s automatically a bust if he doesn’t get between 8 to 10 sacks which is unrealistic for the type of player he is.

Now don’t get me wrong I was the one who thought he was going to be really good for the Raiders when he first came out and I still think he can be good but my problem with him getting picked fourth overall is the type of player he is(The big defensive end ls that kick inside on third down) usually never get picked that high. Solomon Thomas is the only one I can think of(but he wasn’t picked that high because of what he did as a defensive end but what he actually did as a 3T in college.

54 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Sanjit and Raider Cody are incredible fanboys and nobody should pay them any attention. 

If you never offer any criticism, on any aspect of your team, your takes are one sided and clearly not valid. There should be a balance. Obviously, if your team is good, the positive will be super high and critical takes very low (although still there), but there needs to be both. 

i feel the same way about the silver and black presents guy (carl cockerham). but he also has annoyingly long intros and the "oooh" sound which was cool at first but gets old. also just a big homer.

but like i said, if guys are going to gather all-22 film and put together some informative clips, i'll generally appreciate that content

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

This is clearly why we drafted Ruggs over other WRs last year too. 
Ruggs in theory keeps safety and 1 CB, a little more honest pre snap. 

There have been a lot of succesful RBs in the NFL without breakaway speed by the way. 
But as mentioned before, If you know a player has a flaw, and draft him anyways, you need to use him in a way that hides that flaw. 

Jacobs 1.9 yards before contact was brutal last year,  but, Ill leave it at that, as I know itll just be labeled an excuse lol

Jacobs longest run on 270 carries was  28yrds excuses 

13 hours ago, Turnobili said:

If you look at the clips and ignore his analysis, it's not bad.

• Like 1