Jump to content

🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Jacobs longest run on 270 carries was  28yrds excuses 

Is saying he’s not a home run hitter now an excuse? 
jacobs is never going to be the fastest guy on the field, if you are expecting long 60+ yard td runs from the guy, ohh boy, I think you’ll be waiting. 
that doesn’t mean I think he sucks though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Is saying he’s not a home run hitter now an excuse? 
jacobs is never going to be the fastest guy on the field, if you are expecting long 60+ yard td runs from the guy, ohh boy, I think you’ll be waiting. 
that doesn’t mean I think he sucks though. 

honestly Jacobs isn't that much better than Sanders or David Montgomery. Those 3 players are going always be compared, interesting to see what they do in year 3. Damian Harris and Myles Gaskin starting to emerge as well. So far Jacobs values looks like it should have been day 2. Let's see if he has bounce back year, but those 5 Rbs all close. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL people are overthinking Jacobs. Let him be healthy with even okay run blocking and watch what he does. He's one of the best 10 in the league, breaks a ton of tackles and does everything well. I really think people are overlooking how atrocious the run blocking was last year.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Is saying he’s not a home run hitter now an excuse? 
jacobs is never going to be the fastest guy on the field, if you are expecting long 60+ yard td runs from the guy, ohh boy, I think you’ll be waiting. 
that doesn’t mean I think he sucks though. 

No but his yards per carry would be higher if he had more speed when he does get in the open field. Would also help the offense out too. He doesn’t suck but the lack of speed made me like Montgomery better because Monty wouldn’t have cost us a first. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some quotes from Teds article

“His processing is what I think a lot of teams like,” Manyweather explained. “Alex is different. … He’s very highly intelligent as far as his processing and cognitive testing and things like that. He scored off the charts with things that he can do like improvisation and under pressure very high there so I think that was intriguing to teams, but when you really get to talk to him he’s a processor and not an over-processor.”

“He’s looking for patterns and synchronicity and things like that with him being like an artist and a musician … that’s how he learns,” Manyweather explained about Leatherwood. “So one of the things that I always told teams is, ‘Hey if you’ve got a tremendous plan for development and a coach that you trust that is an effective communicator and that’s going to be able to cue him properly, you’re going to get a lot out of this kid.'”

Leatherwood played left tackle for Alabama. Fortunately for the Raiders, Manyweather has cross-trained Leatherwood as a left-side and right-side player, so the learning curve won’t be as steep for Leatherwood when training camp starts. They’ve worked on everything from finding a functional two-point and three-point stance for him and finding a set that works for him. One of the benefits of working with Manyweather is that he understands how nuanced the position is. One type of stance or set might work for one player, but it might not work for another. Manyweather has a customized approach to his training and it should benefit Leatherwood, as it did many others who have worked with him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Lol the Josh Jacobs slander is hilarious. Keep that same energy throughout the whole season and don’t change your thinking 

hmm hope I didnt come off as not a fan. I love Jacobs. Just understand that his game isnt built on being a home run hitter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Some quotes from Teds article

“His processing is what I think a lot of teams like,” Manyweather explained. “Alex is different. … He’s very highly intelligent as far as his processing and cognitive testing and things like that. He scored off the charts with things that he can do like improvisation and under pressure very high there so I think that was intriguing to teams, but when you really get to talk to him he’s a processor and not an over-processor.”

“He’s looking for patterns and synchronicity and things like that with him being like an artist and a musician … that’s how he learns,” Manyweather explained about Leatherwood. “So one of the things that I always told teams is, ‘Hey if you’ve got a tremendous plan for development and a coach that you trust that is an effective communicator and that’s going to be able to cue him properly, you’re going to get a lot out of this kid.'”

Leatherwood played left tackle for Alabama. Fortunately for the Raiders, Manyweather has cross-trained Leatherwood as a left-side and right-side player, so the learning curve won’t be as steep for Leatherwood when training camp starts. They’ve worked on everything from finding a functional two-point and three-point stance for him and finding a set that works for him. One of the benefits of working with Manyweather is that he understands how nuanced the position is. One type of stance or set might work for one player, but it might not work for another. Manyweather has a customized approach to his training and it should benefit Leatherwood, as it did many others who have worked with him.

(Insert attempt to discredit Ted Nguyen/Manyweather’s assessment of Alex Leatherwood here)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont think anybody is rooting against Leatherwood. but if we actually got a trade down offer from the Vikings, i'm struggling to think he would have been gone at 23 or wherever they were.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 11:26 AM, BayRaider said:

Those mad with offense in the 1st, man, wish we could get Derek Stingley somehow next year. Easily the best corner since Jalen Ramsey. 

If we can land him that would be a dream for this D. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

LOL people are overthinking Jacobs. Let him be healthy with even okay run blocking and watch what he does. He's one of the best 10 in the league, breaks a ton of tackles and does everything well. I really think people are overlooking how atrocious the run blocking was last year.

IIRC we went from like 10th in run blocking as a unit in 2019 to 27th in 2020. Adding Drake will help Jacobs a lot as well, won't need to wear him down early in the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Turnobili said:

i dont think anybody is rooting against Leatherwood. but if we actually got a trade down offer from the Vikings, i'm struggling to think he would have been gone at 23 or wherever they were.

Exactly... The 'value' must have been really poor and even if he was gone then Jenkins with a trade down would have been easier to swallow. Probably not as versatile but still RT/RG material. I'd rather Leatherwood over Jenkins. To use Dallas oline I see Jenkins as Gogan and Leatherwood as a really poor man's Larry Allen. Go SONOMA STATE!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, G said:

Exactly... The 'value' must have been really poor and even if he was gone then Jenkins with a trade down would have been easier to swallow. Probably not as versatile but still RT/RG material. I'd rather Leatherwood over Jenkins. To use Dallas oline I see Jenkins as Gogan and Leatherwood as a really poor man's Larry Allen. Go SONOMA STATE!!!

I liked Jenkins more than Leatherwood. Bears are actually trying him at LT

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...