🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

On 5/15/2021 at 7:14 PM, BayRaider said:

I would never draft a RB in the 1st personally. Always gonna find similar production in the 3rd. Sure, Jacobs is cool for those premium violent highlights... but production is production. I swear McKenzie/Gruden/Mayock all draft by highlights or something. Karl Joseph, Johnathan Abram, Josh Jacobs, Damon Arnette, if he looks "violent" or "feisty" draft him!

I think they did the same with Leatherwood.  He has some good highlights but does not have the consistency throughout the game.  I guess Mayock is like Mckenzie in that you can get him to flinch by putting rumors out there that you want his guy.  Heard the same reasoning when we drafted Joseph at pick #14.  Joseph should have been a 2nd rounder and Leatherwood a late 1st early 2nd.

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

To be fair ruggs talked a good one too.  I wanna see production on the field 

Not saying he is going to fail but we tend to do this every year.  We get hyped and then the product on the field disappoints.  Even in 2018 we were ready to take on the world until the 2nd half of the Rams game when we were outscored 23-0 in the 2nd half.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:14 PM, BayRaider said:

I would never draft a RB in the 1st personally. Always gonna find similar production in the 3rd. Sure, Jacobs is cool for those premium violent highlights... but production is production. I swear McKenzie/Gruden/Mayock all draft by highlights or something. Karl Joseph, Johnathan Abram, Josh Jacobs, Damon Arnette, if he looks "violent" or "feisty" draft him!

Jacobs is a beast you blaming him for the OL horrible run blocking hence exactly why we dismantled it.

21 hours ago, Geezy said:

i dont know much of Montgomery outside of stats. But i will say that not all yards are created equal. Jacobs does a great job of always keeping us ahead of the chains and converting on short yardage situations. He keeps the offense rolling. 

Despite the bad blocking.

8 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Jacobs is a beast you blaming him for the OL horrible run blocking hence exactly why we dismantled it.

You’re letting Jacobs off scott free. He has very little long speed which has become obvious to teams. They literally played Jacobs like Baseball Outfielders play Ichrio Suzuki. 

31 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You’re letting Jacobs off scott free. He has very little long speed which has become obvious to teams. They literally played Jacobs like Baseball Outfielders play Ichrio Suzuki. 

What? You really are lost. The best RB of all time Emmett Smith is a clone copy of Jacobs and that worked out fine.

Just now, Bitty 2.0 said:

What? You really are lost. The best RB of all time Emmett Smith is a clone copy of Jacobs and that worked out fine.

Smith was definitely faster than Jacobs.... gametape + 40. Smith ran a 4.55 while Jacobs ran a 4.63 (and the 4.63 is being generous, he also timed at 4.66). Jacobs has the worst long-speed in the NFL (for starters). Teams adjusted in 2020 and fans can't admit it because Jacobs is a fan-favorite. Yes, the run-blocking sucked, but putting 100% of the blame on run-blocking is laughable, homerish, and downright irresponsible. It was at least 40% on Jacobs and how defenses adjusted to him for the 2020 season. 

24 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This is another good point. Thanks. Plus Smith is faster. 

Iirc he ran that at his pro day? Which I always kinda take with a grain of salt.

my issue with josh is he’s a power back but can’t take hits. 

17 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Iirc he ran that at his pro day? Which I always kinda take with a grain of salt.

my issue with josh is he’s a power back but can’t take hits. 

Yes Jacobs ran a 4.63 at his Pro Day. And usually with Pro Days, you would take 0.10-0.15 off the time…. I’m just being really generous and trying to not upset fans. For example, these people really think Arnette has 4.4 speed lol. Hand Time (Mayock) will always be 0.10 faster. 4.56 at the combine and clearrrr 4.5 guy on tape. 

Jacobs is a solid back but his long-speed is a major issue. It makes teams not play him honestly. They are not scared of him breaking one in any way, so they don’t have to hold their gaps, they can just shoot, which is exactly what they did in 2020 after they saw his 2019 tape. 

Edited by BayRaider