🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Turnobili said:

i have no problem with jacobs the player, and i dont think last year was a result of his play getting worse.

i just hated taking a RB in the first round in that draft. really thought we should have taken Sweat at 24

i wanted sweat also

10 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

i wanted sweat also

i was stunned he made it to 24. i had him ranked ahead of Ferrell (though i admittedly did love Ferrell going into the draft. thought he'd be much farther along as an edge rusher thanΒ he's shown 2 years in).

that draft happened before i got around to making this account, and my old username was banned at the time. but here is a post i made on a different board, to show my receipts on that edge class. obviously wasn't right about everything but i did have Sweat ranked very high

i had Bosa-Allen-Sweat-Ferrell-Burns-Ferguson-Zach Allen-Gary. i did like ferrell quite a bit more than consensus, as you'll see in the post as well. i really didnt like Rashan Gary, and basically felt the same way about Rousseau this year

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277725&p=9775697&viewfull=1#post9775697

Β 

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You’re letting Jacobs off scott free. He has very little long speed which has become obvious to teams. They literally played Jacobs like Baseball Outfielders play Ichrio Suzuki.Β 

He doesn't have to have long speed to be effective he needs hole almost last in run blocking as compared to top 10 the year prior makes a huge difference.

41 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we take Sweat we also don't get Crosby. Now if you wanted to say we should have gone

4: Devin White/Ed Oliver

24: Montez Sweat

27: Josh Jacobs

I would have been fine with that.

i'll be frank though, the #4 spot was very awkward when Quinnen went off the board at 3. nobody felt quite worth the value... which is why the sense i got (and shared) is that most people were hoping for a trade-down scenario. otherwise i probably would have stuck with the consensus board and taken Allen at #4 with the hope of doubling down on DE by grabbing somebody like Ferrell at 24 (i did like Ferrell and saw plenty of mocks with him falling to the late 20s). that Sweat was just sitting there at 24 felt absurd. probably how the vikings felt grabbing Darrisaw at 23 lol

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

he keeps doin it lol

If my posts are too long for you, or you don't find what I have to say worthy of the time, or any other reason it's not going to hurt my feelings. By all means.Β 

There's also a block feature if you feel that passionately about it.Β 

I'm not on here nearly as much as I used to be, partly because of a select group of posters that always want to be negative or turn everything into a Carr debate. When I do have the spare time and I find a topic being discussed interesting and feel I have something worthwhile to say, I will fully articulate my thoughts on the matter. I know at least a few on here like hearing my opinion and engaging in discussion about it.Β 

If that's not for you, I won't lose any sleep. I fail to see how my occasional lengthy post is such a terrible thing. It requires less time and less space if you add it up and compare with your numerous daily posts that are shorter individually.Β 

I've been on this (and the old forum) for over a decade. I like a group of posters (and some of the newer posters) that remain from back then. I've posted in a similar way the entire time, and none of them had an issue with it. It won't break my heart if you do and you don't want to engage in a legitimate discussion about what I have to say...Β 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Myself, @CaliforniaKid7, @daineraider, @BayRaider, @Mr Raider, @Darbsk, and @G all wanted to go with Sweat over Jacobs in the 2019 Me vs Mayock.Β  This is why I like doing the me vs Mayock every year.Β  Makes it easy to see who would of done what without hindsight.

And I definitely wanted nothing to do with Abram in the first two rounds. Check the 2019 Safety thread. I had an early 3rd Round Grade on him.Β 

3 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

If my posts are too long for you, or you don't find what I have to say worthy of the time, or any other reason it's not going to hurt my feelings. By all means.Β 

There's also a block feature if you feel that passionately about it.Β 

I'm not on here nearly as much as I used to be, partly because of a select group of posters that always want to be negative or turn everything into a Carr debate. When I do have the spare time and I find a topic being discussed interesting and feel I have something worthwhile to say, I will fully articulate my thoughts on the matter. I know at least a few on here like hearing my opinion and engaging in discussion about it.Β 

If that's not for you, I won't lose any sleep. I fail to see how my occasional lengthy post is such a terrible thing. It requires less time and less space if you add it up and compare with your numerous daily posts that are shorter individually.Β 

I've been on this (and the old forum) for over a decade. I like a group of posters (and some of the newer posters) that remain from back then. I've posted in a similar way the entire time, and none of them had an issue with it. It won't break my heart if you do and you don't want to engage in a legitimate discussion about what I have to say...Β 

ive been around for a while too... was posting under raiderrocker18 for years going back to the old forum too. i dont know what that has to do with anything.

its just a suggestion to keep things a bit more concise. posts would probably get more engagement if they were shorter than essays.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Myself, @CaliforniaKid7, @daineraider, @BayRaider, @Mr Raider, @Darbsk, and @G all wanted to go with Sweat over Jacobs in the 2019 Me vs Mayock.Β  This is why I like doing the me vs Mayock every year.Β  Makes it easy to see who would of done what without hindsight.

Yeah that is one of my favorite yearly posts. I just like the idea of having something everyone can look back on and give credit or use as a tool to avoid making mistakes on similar prospects we missed on in the past.Β 

2019 would be one of my best drafts IMO and would make our current team look much different. I would be very happy currently looking back on our 2019 class if I was in charge and grading it today.Β 

Devin White has flaws, and he isn't a finished product, but he has already had considerably more of an impact than Ferrell who Mayock took at 4. And much higher upside in the coming years.

Sweat has been very very good for Washington through 2 years. He obviously benefits from playing with other great defensive lineman, but I think he breaks out in a huge way this year. Even without all the DL talent around him, he would IMO be better than Ferrell and a guy that's still young enough to believe can be a foundation piece on defense.Β 

Greedy Williams has had some flashes, but has also had some serious injury issues. This is the one first round pick I would have had that could still turn out ok, but wouldn't be a great start. Plus I wouldn't want to miss out on Mullen because of Greedy.Β 

Miles Sanders - Jacobs is a better RB IMO, but Sanders is good enough that he could still be a really good back for us. Worse than Jacobs in some areas, a better receiver.Β 

I really would hate to swap out Crosby for the other end I took in Bryant. A lot of people are mixed on Crosby, and he does have flaws, but when you consider where he was taken he has been a great pick and much more productive than most 4th round picks in any draft class.

I won't go through the rest, but I would be fine putting that out there and having the public look back on my GM abilities this year or next.Β 

I also without a doubt though have some drafts that I would have a tough time answering an owner as to what happened lol. But that's what is awesome about the draft.Β 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

ive been around for a while too... was posting under raiderrocker18 for years going back to the old forum too. i dont know what that has to do with anything.

its just a suggestion to keep things a bit more concise. posts would probably get more engagement if they were shorter than essays.

I feel like I made it quite clear what that has to do with anything in that post.Β 

I have posted the way I have for over a decade, and prior to today I can't recall many complaining about it or offering their opinion on how I should share my opinion/why I should make my posts shorter.Β 

Again, if they are too long for you or the length keeps you from wanting to engage in discussion with me, no worries. I won't take it personally.Β 

I would just prefer to post all my opinion I believe is relevant to the discussion at once than post 3 or 4 or more posts going back and forth only to end up with the same amount of my opinion being shared but now potentially taking several hours to say everything.Β 

It may not be for you, or for everyone, but I fail to see the issue with my occasional lengthy posts about things in comparison to your 10 or more posts per day... I post when and what I do if I believe I can offer something of substance. I don't have the time I used to have to devote to posting shorter replies but posting 10+ times per day... Not that there is anything wrong with it. If I was still making a living the way I used to and all that type of stuff I would love to be on here more.Β 

Edited by Mr Raider

I get not everyone wants to read as much in one post as I often do, but at the same time it seems silly to me to discourage people on a message board, where most people that come love to talk Raiders/football/sports more than the casual sports fan, for contributing too much because they wrote 5 or 6 paragraphs in their comment or whatever not even once a day the vast majority of the time...Β 

Edited by Mr Raider

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I mean I admire the dedication and time commitment. I use to write long posts like that on forums when I didn’t value time as much. Time is everything. I still will do a long writeup sometimes, but not as a reply to something, more of an initial analysis.Β 

It's kind of the opposite for me. My posts are typically more lengthy because I don't have as much time. I get a short amount of time every day where I can be focused on things other than my wife, kids, work where I am on call a lot of nights and such. It's easiser for me to set aside the hour or so a day I do to catch up on the current threads and post one or two more lengthy posts where I add everything I have to contribute. As opposed to shorter posts that take more time to have replies, read them, and then think up what I want to reply and type it out when it's the same stuff I would have added earlier.Β 

Time is very important man I agree 100%. It's crazy how fast it goes. And I support whatever people want to do that they enjoy with the free time they have. I don't have nearly as much as I used to. One of my favorite things to do is come to this forum and read everyone's opinion about a team I love enough to have had it tattooed on my body and name one of my children after a former player lol. And with the time I have it's easier to put all my thoughts in one post as opposed to going back and forth and seeing what others have said but not having time to reply like I'd like and all that. If others find it easier and more beneficial for their life to post shorter responses and potentially post multiple times to say all they want, that's what they should do. I just find the way I post to work best and is most efficient for me and the life I live.Β 

Also is important to note, writing is cathartic to me. I have a degree in journalism, and realized that wasnt going to be what I did for a living. So this is one of a couple of ways I get to write and get to write about something I am passionate about. Prior to today I wasn't under the impression it bothered anyone lol.Β 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1