🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

I just don’t think Jon and Mike should be let off the hook like they did nothing wrong. They’ve done this 3 years in a row. I’ll be rooting for Leatherwood to succeed, he has done nothing wrong, but I just cannot root for Gruden or Mike at all. They have zero idea what they are doing. Does anyone actually believe in them at this point?

• Like 1
Just now, BayRaider said:

I just don’t think Jon and Mike should be let off the hook like they did nothing wrong. They’ve done this 3 years in a row. I’ll be rooting for Leatherwood to succeed, he has done nothing wrong, but I just cannot root for Gruden or Mike at all. They have zero idea what they are doing. Does anyone actually believe in them at this point?

I have faith in mayock mid rounds.
he can spot talent, like this guy will be good in the nfl ,he just doesnt know how to rate talent levels lol. 

I have no faith in our first picks ever being ROYs though, we play it way to safe, just like on the field. 

Well, I can only hope we are all wrong and he becomes an All Pro RT.  I hope 2 years from now we're all looking back at this draft and saying "Wow, that's the draft where everything turned around."

Goodnight fellas.

Just now, Jerry said:

Well, I can only hope we are all wrong and he becomes an All Pro RT.  I hope 2 years from now we're all looking back at this draft and saying "Wow, that's the draft where everything turned around."

Goodnight fellas.

Didn’t you make the same post after 2019?

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I have faith in mayock mid rounds.
he can spot talent, like this guy will be good in the nfl ,he just doesnt know how to rate talent levels lol. 

I have no faith in our first picks ever being ROYs though, we play it way to safe, just like on the field. 

I don’t think Mayock, Gruden, or Carr will be here in 3-4 years. And another rebuild. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

From a Walter Football article 

Here is what a director of college scouting said about Leatherwood: 

1. "Leatherwood is a late first-rounder at the minimum ... has finally [started playing like a man] and is playing with some urgency and aggression, which he didn't last year. He's a better athlete and player than Jonah Williams - CIN - was who went too high at No. 11, and Leatherwood can start at either tackle spot as well as guard if you needed him to. Not dominant and needs to clean up some hand-placement stuff, but he's athletic and a competent pass protector that can excel in the zone-stretch run game. Not a downhill, power-/gap-scheme guy. Not better than [Andrew] Thomas - NYG -, [Jedrick] Willis - CLE -, [Mekhi] Beckton - NYJ -, [Austin] Jackson - MIA - last year, but comparable to [Tristan] Wirfs - TB. It's a good [offensive tackle] class too, and Leatherwood won't be at the top of the class when there is a run on [offensive tackles], but will get selected as you see the options running out [mid-to-late Round 1]. Should be a solid pro." 

He has A+ physical traits and held his own in the SEC playing multiple positions. If Cable can coach him into a monster, he could be worth the pick for sure. I just don't think he was valued here. I could be wrong about that. I'm not a GM.

If the problems are purely technical, he could be a great player. Miller is trending that way. I just don't think his floor is super high like Jenkins and Darrisaw.

47 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I think he could still be a solid starter. That’s just not what I wanted at 17.

If leatherwood was taken at 48 most people including me would love the pick.

My main issue is we passed on darrisaw.  If he was gone then this pick would be more tolerable.  I liked eichenberg but knew cable wouldn’t over arm length and would absolutely prefer leatherwood.

I think AL is going to be a very very solid but unspectacular RT.  He’s gonna have to improve his run blocking but as a pass blocker he’s got a lot to like and still can grow.