49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Sounds like Jimmy could be a mid-season trade, again.

Not trying to be negative, but I doubt he plays this year. (barring an injury, or if the score is lopsided.) Not sure how I feel about this pick, but I definitely trust Lynch/Shanahan. 

2 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

Not trying to be negative, but I doubt he plays this year. (barring an injury, or if the score is lopsided.) Not sure how I feel about this pick, but I definitely trust Lynch/Shanahan. 

Before hearing that interview, I expected Jimmy to be our guy and when we have blowouts or late-season games after we've clinched a playoff spot then I expect Lance to get in the games. I think we see Lance on the field this year, I'm just not sure if it's in meaningful situations. Although, they could start him off with designed run plays, red-zone situations, etc. to get his feet wet. 

Just......please, football gods.....please stop with the injuries. Leave this man alone, alright?

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Before hearing that interview, I expected Jimmy to be our guy and when we have blowouts or late-season games after we've clinched a playoff spot then I expect Lance to get in the games. I think we see Lance on the field this year, I'm just not sure if it's in meaningful situations. Although, they could start him off with designed run plays, red-zone situations, etc. to get his feet wet. 

Just......please, football gods.....please stop with the injuries. Leave this man alone, alright?

I don't mean to jinx it, but he looked like he was made of tank on tape. Like I was legit worried about a Justin Fields injury. Runs with his ribs exposed and such. Lance hits things and they are the ones getting hit because he is low and compact.

Is it, or are some football analysts pissed about the Lance pick, just for making them look silly for a month? I just watched Simms and Florio(florio especially), and they seem to pretend to be playing devil's advocate, but they just look annoyed that they were just flat out wrong. And I think it's funny. We're all armchair GMs, having a tv show and contacts don't make them experts. 

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I don't mean to jinx it, but he looked like he was made of tank on tape. Like I was legit worried about a Justin Fields injury. Runs with his ribs exposed and such. Lance hits things and they are the ones getting hit because he is low and compact.

He bulldozed people with his throwing arm way too much for my liking. I'll be happy to see him slide in the nfl, to be honest. 

Here are all my offseason thoughts wrapped up into one post for posterity. 

I have always and will always continue to hate trade ups in the first that involve giving up the package of picks we did (including future firsts). History shows these tend to cripple teams in a few years when they no longer have cheap replacement options for guys and need to spend more to keep them. I also greatly preferred Fields. The package to get from 12 to 10 for Fields would have been far preferable with (what I believe to be) a better outcome, and we know this as two division teams made that exact trade. Who would trade Lance for Fields and two firsts? I guess not Shanahan, and that's all that matters. 

However, if there was ever a scenario where I would be content with it happening, it was this one - with the team filling all of its starting roles with capable players and having no glaring needs, but might be able to upgrade the most important position quite a bit via trade. And being able to hold onto a quality QB for a bit and not force a rookie to NEED to see the field? Even better. So, the fact that this happened and Shanahan finally has his guy - I'm good with it. 

I wanted Fields and had Lance as a 2nd round pick, but a lot of my concerns with Lance come from the lack of resources available to me as an armchair scout. I trust Shanahan and Lynch to do their due diligence and fill in the blanks, and as such, I'm just excited to see how he develops. I think the best case scenario is Jimmy playing a full season to make himself a trade option for QB-needy teams next year and Lance just learning what he needs to get ready. I'm still a fan of the Rodgers/Mahomes school of QB development.

Overall- excited/hopeful, with the best case scenario being Garoppolo helping us get an extra 2nd day pick back in 2022 by playing well and staying healthy. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

UnF'Nbelievable, you have both Florio and Simms saying they don't think Lance was the guy from the beginning and think the Niners are covering their butts.

I just can't anymore.....................

Florio has always been a joke. Simms is kind of in the same vein imo. 'I liked Mahomes! I'm an evaluating god' 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Florio has always been a joke. Simms is kind of in the same vein imo. 'I liked Mahomes! I'm an evaluating god' 

Simms is salty because he talked to Kyle after the season and he was like I had the impression he was looking for someone like Jones lol.

Shanny basically called him and Schefter out saying it was funny how after the trade made you had two people saying the trade up was for Jones and then everyone ran with it....Come on now, it's okay, you thought one thing but were wrong. They literally made the trade to #3 a few days after folks started linking Lance to the Falcons. That was no coincidence. 

So what's it gonna take for the Packers to accept an offer for Aaron Rodgers? I'd take 3 years of Aaron Rodgers over the next 3 years of whomever wins the starting QB job b/c that's 3 years closer to winning a SB.

All I see in Trey Lance is another QB who can't do without legs/mobility and thus is just a gimmick QB e.g. Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Newton etc. 

If you want to win a SB you need a guy like Aaron Rodgers and John Lynch needs to keep bothering the Packers!

2 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

So what's it gonna take for the Packers to accept an offer for Aaron Rodgers? I'd take 3 years of Aaron Rodgers over the next 3 years of whomever wins the starting QB job b/c that's 3 years closer to winning a SB.

All I see in Trey Lance is another QB who can't do without legs/mobility and thus is just a gimmick QB e.g. Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Newton etc. 

If you want to win a SB you need a guy like Aaron Rodgers and John Lynch needs to keep bothering the Packers!

Superbowl Appearances: 
1 Aaron Rodgers 
2 Mahomes
2 Wilson
1 Newton

Thanks for this. I needed a laugh this morning. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yup that's perfect scenario. 

Also looks like the Broncos guy was Lance. Makes sense why they moved on yesterday to Teddy after Adam Shefter said on Lance. 

Corrupt media Fake News... hmmm.. no limitations, sad sad. 

After already having traded to #3, yes, I am very glad that they swing for the fences with Lance. I prefer he not start right away, but if he deserves it by September, then let it be so. 

11 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Obvious Packers fan is obvious.

4 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Superbowl Appearances: 
1 Aaron Rodgers 
2 Mahomes
2 Wilson
1 Newton

Thanks for this. I needed a laugh this morning. 

giphy.gif

Run First QB's to win SB's:

a) Russell Wilson

b) Patrick Mahomes

Notice how I didn't put Steve Young on that list b/c by 1994 Steve could do it with is arms & legs and his legs were not the be all to end all. If you make Wilson & Mahomes immobile then you're looking at a flawed pocket passing QB.

Oh and need I mention that when QB's that look like Doug Williams, Russell Wilson & Patrick Mahomes are exception to the norm to win SB's. It's no coincidence the SB winning QB's look more like a Tom Brady & Aaron Rodgers.