49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

2. Lance’s throwing motion is smooth and complete; it’s not a wrist or elbow quick-twitch toss

This was clear in his college tape, but it’s always good to get an in-person look. It’s not like he’s taking a big windup, but Lance always seems to bounce himself into square position and then unsling pure spirals mostly from over the top.

If I had to compare it to recent QBs, I’d say there’s a Tom Brady/Andrew Luck element to it — good balance, full shoulder turn and the deliveries look smooth but can come out sizzling. Lance’s best throws Friday came in 7-on-7s when he looked away from his first read, adjusted his stance and then powered two 15- to 25-yard laser beams to veteran tryout Marqise Lee over the middle.

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

2. Lance’s throwing motion is smooth and complete; it’s not a wrist or elbow quick-twitch toss

This was clear in his college tape, but it’s always good to get an in-person look. It’s not like he’s taking a big windup, but Lance always seems to bounce himself into square position and then unsling pure spirals mostly from over the top.

If I had to compare it to recent QBs, I’d say there’s a Tom Brady/Andrew Luck element to it — good balance, full shoulder turn and the deliveries look smooth but can come out sizzling. Lance’s best throws Friday came in 7-on-7s when he looked away from his first read, adjusted his stance and then powered two 15- to 25-yard laser beams to veteran tryout Marqise Lee over the middle.

From Kawakami

By the way, not that 7 on 7 numbers mean a damn thing, but the INT Lance threw was during the one on one drills. Not sure why they would mention any INTs on those drills. The beat writers made it seem like he threw a pick during the team drills. 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

By the way, not that 7 on 7 numbers mean a damn thing, but the INT Lance threw was during the one on one drills. Not sure why they would mention any INTs on those drills. The beat writers made it seem like he threw a pick during the team drills. 

Here's the play

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CO4AGdoDNKl/?igshid=1ntwchnftshiy

On 5/12/2021 at 11:25 AM, NinerNation21 said:

Lance drops back high and on the balls of his feet, then drops low and plants all his cleats in the ground to drive the ball, and then pops back up when releasing the ball. When Lance doesn't have a lot of movement during his release, it's on the money. JTO thinks this is an easy thing to clean up and should help to improve his accuracy.

Yeah, I mentioned JTO's analysis pre-draft, about his eye level changing, leading to inaccuracies. At his first pro day, I pointed how it seemed like he had already worked on fixing that issue. That's one benefit of not having played games this year. He spent all year fixing mechanics and learning the pro game.

14 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Colts gave 2 players in the first round a blue card. Which is like our gold helmet. And Trey Lance was one of them. 

Interesting. Funny how teams evaluations differ so much. I'm sure every team has their own system, similar to the Niners Gold Helmet & Colts Blue Card. For example, apparently the Falcons version of it this year had 2 players as elite picks; Lawrence & Pitts

I trust the Niners FO, but i'll say this; if we're looking for outsider validation, i'll take Ballard's opinions over Baalke, Douglas, & Pace 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Interesting. Funny how teams evaluations differ so much. I'm sure every team has their own system, similar to the Niners Gold Helmet & Colts Blue Card. For example, apparently the Falcons version of it this year had 2 players as elite picks; Lawrence & Pitts

I trust the Niners FO, but i'll say this; if we're looking for outsider validation, i'll take Ballard's opinions over Baalke, Douglas, & Pace 

Maybe he just has a thing for NDSU QBs lol. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

This why getting so worked up about value during the draft is exhausting and a waste of time. It's so subjective and inexact. I fall into the trap every year during the run up to the draft and during draft day and just can't help myself.

The media thought Lance was good but not great. Well, turns out the people in the NFL absolutely love this guy on the field and off. the opposite seems to be true about Fields. Time will tell how this all shakes out.