Jump to content

49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

They basically give the OROY to the best rookie QB. Kyler won it a few years ago when it was clearly Josh Jacobs 

I want to get some dough on lance for oroy right now 

Remember when big Ben was undefeated as a rookie? I actually think Lance has some big Ben in him. I said Ben and cam combined  

Steve McNair was before my time and mccnabb wasnt good

To say McNabb wasn't good just isn't true. You are comparing his numbers to this era but he was always seen as a top 7 or so QB in the league. Had the absolute worst weapons on the perimeter until TO came to town and you saw what he did with him. He was a perennial pro bowler and would help lead his teams to deep playoff runs constantly. 

Lance will be putting up better numbers due to playing in this offense heavy era, but trust me no one thought McNabb wasn't "good" when he playing. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

The trade was made and York texts Gore right afterwards wanting his opinion on Lance? IT WAS ALWAYS LANCE! 

Gore may not want to move to the Bay Area since his family lives in Florida, but I would LOVE for him to be involved in the organization in some capacity. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

To say McNabb wasn't good just isn't true. You are comparing his numbers to this era but he was always seen as a top 7 or so QB in the league. Had the absolute worst weapons on the perimeter until TO came to town and you saw what he did with him. He was a perennial pro bowler and would help lead his teams to deep playoff runs constantly. 

Lance will be putting up better numbers due to playing in this offense heavy era, but trust me no one thought McNabb wasn't "good" when he playing. 

Ok, you're right. He was a good qb for that era. The WR comment is 100% true, and I almost included that disclaimer in my other post 

He also had Andy reid and Brian Westbrook. So its not like the eagles were bad and he was carrying them. That D was good back then too. Weapon X! Fierce DL that they built similar to how we built our DL 

Not sure if it's true, but TO said McNabb threw up in a huddle because he was hungover. So I think there were some other issues behind the scenes that plagued him. TO wasn't the only one to say it either. 

Regardless, mccnabb had some tools and was good enough for multiple nfccgs in a row.

Trey won't fall into the same pitfalls, I think. You never know, but he's got that small town humbleness to him 

 

Also - think about how marketable Trey is. He is going to be beloved by the fanbase and by the national media. 

Edited by N4L
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. It's been a couple days. So time for my thoughts now that I've had a chance to let it settle a bit.

-  I did think, and still think that Fields is a better prospect with just as high or higher ceiling, higher floor, and more readiness to come in and help us in a playoff run this year if (when) Jimmy gets hurt. It will take a few years to see how this shakes out.

- I think that we overpaid if Lance was the guy we wanted. I've read that Atlanta was interested, but I've also read they were interested in Fields. In the end they took Pitts. What we gave up will hurt over the next couple of years. Fair price if he turns out to be great. But as usual I'd have tried to get him lower and  "settled " for Fields if somehow Lance went ahead of him.

- I am stoked that we took him instead of Jones, but in retrospect don't believe he was ever on our radar.

Finally, I do believe Lance has the ability to be great. Now Kyle, go make it happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Now I want Gore brought in as a scout! Keep this guy in the organization!

 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The trade was made and York texts Gore right afterwards wanting his opinion on Lance? IT WAS ALWAYS LANCE! 

Gore may not want to move to the Bay Area since his family lives in Florida, but I would LOVE for him to be involved in the organization in some capacity. 

Even though I was a Fields guy...how can u not love Gore!  Willis and Gore are the only 2 players I would go to their HOF induction if it ever happens. The fact those 2 didn't get their SB ring will always hurt as a fan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lance is our guy and I'll stop talking about Fields. But many here have speculated on how other teams had the QBs rated. On NFL network today an analyst said she talked to scouts from several teams who were willing to share their ratings now that it is over. She said that over half of them had Fields ranked first ahead of Lawrence. I don't know how accurate that is, but interesting. I've said here a couple of times that I thought Fields was a lot closer to Lawrence than either Wilson or Lance were to him. In that playoff game this year Fields badly outplayed Lawrence. Only one game, but. You really can over-think things sometimes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Invest in Lance Panini Auto Rookie Cards /25 or /50 like the storm. If he becomes near Mahomes, easily worth 20 grand a pop. 
 

Doubt any will pop up until the season is well underway, but those types of cards will probably run you least $500 a piece. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm hyped as hell for him. I'm scared crapless because this is an unprecedented selection for the most part and he's risky as hell, but I think that just contributes to the excitement lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm hyped as hell for him. I'm scared crapless because this is an unprecedented selection for the most part and he's risky as hell, but I think that just contributes to the excitement lol

Definitely, but I'm excited to see how Shanny makes this work. I will say this, if Lance is the QB, no need to pick up any Niners receiver for fantasy…. Even Kittle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely, but I'm excited to see how Shanny makes this work. I will say this, if Lance is the QB, no need to pick up any Niners receiver for fantasy…. Even Kittle. 

Single wing, baby. Draft every single niners running back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...