49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

11 hours ago, big9erfan said:

OK. It's been a couple days. So time for my thoughts now that I've had a chance to let it settle a bit.

-  I did think, and still think that Fields is a better prospect with just as high or higher ceiling, higher floor, and more readiness to come in and help us in a playoff run this year if (when) Jimmy gets hurt. It will take a few years to see how this shakes out.

- I think that we overpaid if Lance was the guy we wanted. I've read that Atlanta was interested, but I've also read they were interested in Fields. In the end they took Pitts. What we gave up will hurt over the next couple of years. Fair price if he turns out to be great. But as usual I'd have tried to get him lower and  "settled " for Fields if somehow Lance went ahead of him.

- I am stoked that we took him instead of Jones, but in retrospect don't believe he was ever on our radar.

Finally, I do believe Lance has the ability to be great. Now Kyle, go make it happen.

I dont want to get into the buyers remorse of what it cost to get the pick that we used to get Trey Lance.  

Quick alternate universe run through.... We do not trade up.

Miami is sitting at 3 and cannot trade down, they take the most talented player in the draft, Pitts.  Now Atlanta who we all believe to be interested in a QB but didnt go QB cannot select the player who they took.  Now they could very well take Lance, it could also be Fields, I do not think they would target a WR so much but they could have.

I hope Lance turns out, I have been intrigued by him and he has some qualities which I hope will push him further than what the other QBs that were in this draft could do.  To be honest I was in the Fields camp but I am by no means upset with this pick.

47 minutes ago, burlow said:

I dont want to get into the buyers remorse of what it cost to get the pick that we used to get Trey Lance.  

Miami is sitting at 3 and cannot trade down, they take the most talented player in the draft, Pitts.  Now Atlanta who we all believe to be interested in a QB but didnt go QB cannot select the player who they took.  Now they could very well take Lance, it could also be Fields, I do not think they would target a WR so much but they could have.

I hope Lance turns out, I have been intrigued by him and he has some qualities which I hope will push him further than what the other QBs that were in this draft could do.  To be honest I was in the Fields camp but I am by no means upset with this pick.

There was a lot of smoke with the Falcons taking Lance. Even if we go Mac, I think there's a good chance that Lance is gone at #4. For sure would have been gone at the time of the Broncos pick. But clearly this team wanted to get ahead of the Falcons. 

1 hour ago, burlow said:

It was documented by a few places that Atlanta loved trey lance. 

Mortenson said Lance was probably the guy. Cam Marino thought Atlanta would be all over him. Talk was that Fontenot loved him. Whether true or not is impossible to say, but there was a lot of chatter. 

All this could be garbage, but possible that the league was bigger on Lance. I'm not so sure we didn't have to get to three to get him

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

It was documented by a few places that Atlanta loved trey lance. 

Mortenson said Lance was probably the guy. Cam Marino thought Atlanta would be all over him. Talk was that Fontenot loved him. Whether true or not is impossible to say, but there was a lot of chatter. 

All this could be garbage, but possible that the league was bigger on Lance. I'm not so sure we didn't have to get to three to get him

This @big9erfan along with all those teams in the top 10 passing on Fields is why I question that poll ran where Fields and Lawrence were getting equal amount of votes to being the best QB.

Like the Jets, Niners, Falcons and Broncos all passed on Fields. Allbright kept saying all along that the league rates Lance higher and quite a few people were linking the Falcons to Lance....Also, it needs to be said that the Niners were trying to trade up to #4 or #5 and I don't think the Falcons were willing to move back to #12 and the only time they started having talks of moving down was when more buzz started on the Niners taking Lance.

• Like 1

Yea, my response was more directed to who I quoted.  I am very pleased with how this draft turned out.

One of the most encouraging aspects about Lance is that he fought to be the master of his destiny.  He was drafted by the 49ers because of the talent he has shown but while being recruited out of high school no major school saw that talent.  After his redshirt freshman year he was able to demonstrate that talent and be recognized for it by anyone who saw him play.

He is raw and has some things to refine but his intelligence and work ethic are easy to perceive, I have high hopes for him.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm hyped as hell for him. I'm scared crapless because this is an unprecedented selection for the most part and he's risky as hell, but I think that just contributes to the excitement lol

Yeah I'll be excited the closer the season gets...but I will always have the what if in the back of my mind. Fair or not to either player.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, N4L said:

Also - think about how marketable Trey is. He is going to be beloved by the fanbase and by the national media. 

And his teammates. Just look at how his teammates reacted when the pick was announced. Of course, they could be excited that a Bison was selected third overall, and it's a big deal for a small school. But it really does seem like that reaction came from genuine love for their QB. I think Trey will be beloved by his niner teammates as well, and they'll go to war with him.

I’m listening to Brad Peacock’s locked on 49ers podcast and he said that since the 1 game Lance played in 2020, he was trying to get his hands on nfl playbooks to prepare each day like he would in the nfl for a game. Going through a starting qb’s weekly game regiment. 

He was also working on his accuracy and mechanics all year as well. 

1. that’s awesome and I hope the 49ers gave him a playbook to work off of in January or February.

2. This kid is on a different level than other 20 year olds. 

3. It would really interesting to see him hit the ground running in training camp and blow people away.

Dont think the Falcons were going to take a QB, they are stuck with Ryan for 3 more years at a hefty price, dont think they wanted a rookie QB at the same time. This would align with that the 9ers tried trading for the 6 and 7th or w/e it was reported

19 minutes ago, Motion said:

Dont think the Falcons were going to take a QB, they are stuck with Ryan for 3 more years at a hefty price, dont think they wanted a rookie QB at the same time. This would align with that the 9ers tried trading for the 6 and 7th or w/e it was reported

I mean they can get rid of Ryan next year post-June 1 and they would still save like 15M. So they could have certainly taken Lance and sat him for one year before giving him the reigns to the team. 

Fyi, expect Peter King to write later tonight about how he feels like Jones was the pick all the way until the last week before Shanny was convinced by Lynch and the personnel department to change his mind and he finally gave in. These guys have had some weird reactions and have tried to defend their reports. Maiocco flat out lied and said he was always saying the pick should have been Lance but he thought the team was going to draft Jones. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fyi, expect Peter King to write later tonight about how he feels like Jones was the pick all the way until the last week before Shanny was convinced by Lynch and the personnel department to change his mind and he finally gave in. These guys have had some weird reactions and have tried to defend their reports. Maiocco flat out lied and said he was always saying the pick should have been Lance but he thought the team was going to draft Jones. 

I tried to get King to answer a question on why he feels that way when clearly no one knew crap, but I got no response lol