49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

14 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Okay, so if we put enough pressure, next season in week 7, fourth quarter, I say go for 2!! We don't know the situation yet, but I say we should go for 2. #weruntheteam #gofor2.

We need to monetize this incredible power we've been given.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

We need to monetize this incredible power we've been given.

Just knowing we can make these prima donna press elites throw a tantrum is rewarding enough for me 😎

The Niner's front office did an incredible job in their "ruse". They sure as hell had many of us spinning in circles too. Hell. how often is Shefter wrong? Say touche' and move along press core...

Edited by Psychlone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Okay, so if we put enough pressure, next season in week 7, fourth quarter, I say go for 2!! We don't know the situation yet, but I say we should go for 2. #weruntheteam #gofor2.

Good plan, but have you considered that we can't be sure any of us will be alive in week 7?

I feel like that's a huge hole in your plan 

• Like 2

Finally, there is the reality that we’re never really going to know what the plan was in some cases. We can only follow the obvious bread crumbs, like this: Atlanta picked tight end Kyle Pitts fourth after three quarterbacks were taken off the board. Pitts’ projected greatness is undeniable, but any theory that he was the preferred option all along seemingly took a significant dent the next day when the team signed vagabond A.J. McCarron to a one-year contract as Matt Ryan’s backup. McCarron may have been a mere contingency plan if the Falcons didn’t get their preferred choice: North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance. There had been rumors before the draft that both Lance and Pitts were ahead of quarterback Justin Fields on the Falcons’ final draft board, but Lance was taken by San Francisco the pick before the Falcons. The McCarron signing followed the next day.

https://theathletic.com/2560539/2021/05/01/schultz-falcons-strengthen-lines-of-scrimmage-and-send-the-right-message-jobs-are-open/

Also note that the Panthers & Broncos made QB moves after our trade up (Darnold, Bridgewater). 

Definitely seems like the Falcons, Panthers, & Broncos were in on Lance, at a minimum. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://theathletic.com/2560539/2021/05/01/schultz-falcons-strengthen-lines-of-scrimmage-and-send-the-right-message-jobs-are-open/

Also note that the Panthers & Broncos made QB moves after our trade up (Darnold, Bridgewater). 

Definitely seems like the Falcons, Panthers, & Broncos were in on Lance, at a minimum. 

Absolutely, Schultz was one of the first reporters along with Allbright to report that the Falcons REALLY liked Lance. Louis Riddick went to Lance's first pro day and he was standing next to their GM and said he got the feel that he loved Lance and would take him if he fell to #4. 49ers traded up to #3 shortly after all the Lance to Falcons talks started to heat up. Falcons did not even have any talks of moving out of the #4 spot until the last week when it became evident the Niners may go the Lance route. 

Allbright said the only way he sees the Broncos taking a QB is "if the right QB falls to them" and he clearly implied on multiple occasions that QB was Lance. They had a chance to take Fields or Jones and passed on both. No clue if the Panthers liked Lance to pick him over Horn or not but I do know the Broncos/Falcons from all the reports loved Lance. 

17 hours ago, N4L said:

Good plan, but have you considered that we can't be sure any of us will be alive in week 7?

I feel like that's a huge hole in your plan 

If we say we're going to be alive by then, then Kyle will have to allow us to be alive. Pressure. We run the team. #survivedoomsday 

3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

But... the experts are saying we could have had Lance at 12... it doesn't make sense. I think it's the other way around. McCarron was just waiting to see what we were doing before signing with Atlanta. If we had drafted Pitts, AJ would have signed with us to compete with Jimmy and Nate Sudfeld, obviously. But then, we surprised everyone by picking a QB, and his fall back plan was the Falcons.

Seriously, though, they're still better. I listened to a part of Simms' monday podcast and he still maintains that Lance would probably have been available at 12, and that Mac is still the QB the league prefers... But I don't buy it. He did fall to 15. If any of the teams before the pats truly felt he was a legit franchise QB, I don't think their individual QB moves would have stopped them from taking him. The panthers did trade for Darnold, but if they truly believe he was worth #3, since that's what the whole league thought Kyle and John believed, then they wouldn't let Darnold stop them. The Broncos, the Falcons, etc... The bears traded up for a QB, and Mac was there! And they didn't pick him. 

And to the argument that Mac at 12 is probably better than trading away multiple firsts to land Lance... that's only assuming that these prospects are similar. I've had this argument for years with big9er... sure, the odds of any of them to be successful are just about the same, but teams simply do not have two prospects relatively equal in their evaluations. They always have a preference. And these media experts make their rankings based on what they see (tape) or hear (sources and rumors). But they don't really know these prospects. They don't know their personalities, they don't know what makes them ticks, their passions, their communication skills, their sociability, the way their leadership works out in the context of their team. Media speculate. Scouts investigate. And based on the information scouts, GMs and coaches gather, it's impossible that two prospects are exactly similar. They always have a preference, and the question is how much they're willing to pay to get their preferred guy, as opposed to settling for the next guy. If the personality stuff doesn't really move the needle for a 3rd round LB, sure, stay at your spot or trade down and get the next guy. But when you're talking about a first round potential franchise QB, wouldn't you want to get the player you think will be better based on all the information you've gathered? They very well might be wrong. But at least they tried.

If he isn't starting, do we put him in specific packages (goal line, deep shot, trick play, etc) to get him some experience this year? 

Lance could be a monster in red zone. He's a great runner, so defenses have to respect his mobility, which can allow him to draw in the defenders and throw TD's right over their head. 

I can also see some trick plays with him & Jimmy together. We could really see Shanny's creativity this year

51 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Looks like Brandon Aiyuk and Trey are practicing together

Aiyuk taking the top off the defense is the missing piece to the puzzle 

Aiyuks length and deep speed coupled with Trey's big arm is going to give DCs nightmares 

Randy Moss is the best deep threat of all time. Guys that tall aren't supposed to be able to move like that and have that kind of body control 

Aiyuks got a unique body type. The guy has a 6'9 wingspan but he's 6' tall. His legs are equally proportioned to his arms. Long strides mean he's got very good top end speed. The fact he is not 6'9 means he also has great short area quickness. The guy looks like he floats when he runs. Let's get this man 10+ targets a game 

I'm not saying he's Randy Moss but ..... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

If he isn't starting, do we put him in specific packages (goal line, deep shot, trick play, etc) to get him some experience this year? 

Lance could be a monster in red zone. He's a great runner, so defenses have to respect his mobility, which can allow him to draw in the defenders and throw TD's right over their head. 

I can also see some trick plays with him & Jimmy together. We could really see Shanny's creativity this year

I don't really have a ton of interest in just running him out for special plays and whatnot, but I'm not going to be opposed if we do it. It just doesn't mean anything to me if we do. 

Honestly, I'd rather just try and give him a couple of drives per game

• Like 2

Unreal, just listened to Mike Silver's and his daughters podcast for the first time and this guy's ego is on another level. He said his beef with Kyle calling Matt about Rodgers is that he's known for the past few months that Matt has been stressed out by the entire ordeal and he tried to take advantage of him....Um what? This is a business and first and foremost. Silver tried to say that Kyle has a bunch of pull in SF and is safe with that regime while this move could have gotten Matt fired and this would be his legacy.

Then he is clearly still upset about the Lance pick but still kept saying "I believed Jones was the pick until Kyle fell in love with Lance" lol. Then he pulled a Mike Lombardi and said his question is if the outcry of Jones from the fans and media made him change his mind and how he didn't like how people were saying that Kyle doesn't like black QBs and how he wants just a pocket passer.....Come on man, just admit you had it wrong and move on. Earlier in the podcast I'm pretty sure he took shots at guys like Allbright and said now that he is vaccinated he will be traveling and getting some scoops and people better "watch TF out" LOL. 

These guys are ALL pathetic and truly think they are bigger than the game itself. A lot of Skip Bayless in them. 

• Like 3

I've just finished watching every throw and run from Trey Lance in 2019 and the one game from 2020. I've also watched the full pro day as well. Here are my thoughts:

• Lance's deep ball accuracy is very bad
    • He's erratic on deep shots - over throws and under throws often. But then, he will drop a dime in 50 to 60 yards downfield like it's nothing. 
    • My theory on this: He doesn't fully understand his arm yet. His deep throws come out effortlessly. I watched one throw where he was standing on his 35, takes one shuffle forward and effortlessly puts the ball at the opponent 25 but it was under thrown. His arm is super charged but it seems like he doesn't fully understand what his arm can do yet. If he would've put a little more effort on the throw, it would've hit the guy in stride. Instead, he's over confident in his arm and doesn't drive it through. This seems more like a case of him not being in these types of situations enough rather than bad throwing mechanics.
  • For a rocket arm, he has touch to all levels of the field.
    • One of his go-to routes is a 20-yard out to the field side because he's one of only a handful of college QBs that can make that throw. What's impressive is several of those throws had bracket defenders on the target and he places it in the right spot more times than not. Beautiful touch on these throws.
    • He does a great job of throwing outside the numbers to most levels. The exception is the deep 30+ yard throws where his accuracy breaks down.
  • I love how he reads progressions.
    • His hips and eyes are very quick. His field vision is really good, especially for a 20-yr old. There are several examples where he scans his targets and brings his hips and feet with his eyes so he's ready to hit the target. The impressive thing about it is he's firmly in the pocket doing it with rushers all around him. He's so calm in the pocket and lightening-quick on scanning the field. 
    • I'm no QB expert, but this seems highly advanced for college QBs. He's not a one read and run it QB.
  • He's a pocket passer that can run.
    • Lance only seems to run after he has scanned all of his targets or sees an enormous hole in front of him.
    • His eyes never drop and look to run as he's moving around in the pocket looking for targets. Which, again shows his level of maturity and poise when all hell is breaking out around him.
  • Lance's pocket abilities are pretty awesome.
    • He does a great job of routinely climbing the pocket and letting the rush wash past him. This is devastating for the defense because he either spots a target deep or has all the running room in front of him.
    • His lateral mobility in the pocket is fun to watch. He'll take a 3-step drop, roll out to the right, sees nothing, then rolls all the way to the left and find an open target. Sometimes, it allows for deep throw backs on the side he just left. This is very Russell Wilson like.
  • The Power rushing is so impressive
    • It's not just the hits he delivers on DBs, it's his ability to routinely break arm tackles, slip through two defenders, shake guys off his legs, stiff arm, etc. He almost always makes the first guy miss and when he has a full head of steam, you can't bring him down. He's Russell Wilson in the pocket and a faster Cam Newton outside of it.

I have a new-found appreciation for Lance and his elite abilities. This kid is so electric and special, I could talk all day about him now.

I loved watching him call plays in the huddle, check protections, and seemingly be the general on the field. He's way more Russell Wilson than I realized. I think once the accuracy stuff is cleaned up and he really has a feel for how the ball comes off his hand, he's going to be a very difficult QB to stop. 

• Like 3