49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

I've just finished watching every throw and run from Trey Lance in 2019 and the one game from 2020. I've also watched the full pro day as well. Here are my thoughts:

• Lance's deep ball accuracy is very bad
    • He's erratic on deep shots - over throws and under throws often. But then, he will drop a dime in 50 to 60 yards downfield like it's nothing. 
    • My theory on this: He doesn't fully understand his arm yet. His deep throws come out effortlessly. I watched one throw where he was standing on his 35, takes one shuffle forward and effortlessly puts the ball at the opponent 25 but it was under thrown. His arm is super charged but it seems like he doesn't fully understand what his arm can do yet. If he would've put a little more effort on the throw, it would've hit the guy in stride. Instead, he's over confident in his arm and doesn't drive it through. This seems more like a case of him not being in these types of situations enough rather than bad throwing mechanics.
  • For a rocket arm, he has touch to all levels of the field.
    • One of his go-to routes is a 20-yard out to the field side because he's one of only a handful of college QBs that can make that throw. What's impressive is several of those throws had bracket defenders on the target and he places it in the right spot more times than not. Beautiful touch on these throws.
    • He does a great job of throwing outside the numbers to most levels. The exception is the deep 30+ yard throws where his accuracy breaks down.
  • I love how he reads progressions.
    • His hips and eyes are very quick. His field vision is really good, especially for a 20-yr old. There are several examples where he scans his targets and brings his hips and feet with his eyes so he's ready to hit the target. The impressive thing about it is he's firmly in the pocket doing it with rushers all around him. He's so calm in the pocket and lightening-quick on scanning the field. 
    • I'm no QB expert, but this seems highly advanced for college QBs. He's not a one read and run it QB.
  • He's a pocket passer that can run.
    • Lance only seems to run after he has scanned all of his targets or sees an enormous hole in front of him.
    • His eyes never drop and look to run as he's moving around in the pocket looking for targets. Which, again shows his level of maturity and poise when all hell is breaking out around him.
  • Lance's pocket abilities are pretty awesome.
    • He does a great job of routinely climbing the pocket and letting the rush wash past him. This is devastating for the defense because he either spots a target deep or has all the running room in front of him.
    • His lateral mobility in the pocket is fun to watch. He'll take a 3-step drop, roll out to the right, sees nothing, then rolls all the way to the left and find an open target. Sometimes, it allows for deep throw backs on the side he just left. This is very Russell Wilson like.
  • The Power rushing is so impressive
    • It's not just the hits he delivers on DBs, it's his ability to routinely break arm tackles, slip through two defenders, shake guys off his legs, stiff arm, etc. He almost always makes the first guy miss and when he has a full head of steam, you can't bring him down. He's Russell Wilson in the pocket and a faster Cam Newton outside of it.

I have a new-found appreciation for Lance and his elite abilities. This kid is so electric and special, I could talk all day about him now.

I loved watching him call plays in the huddle, check protections, and seemingly be the general on the field. He's way more Russell Wilson than I realized. I think once the accuracy stuff is cleaned up and he really has a feel for how the ball comes off his hand, he's going to be a very difficult QB to stop. 

Good work. I agree on every point. I will add that he has an occasional tendency to fire low (and sometimes a touch behind) when he really rips passes into tighter windows. Some of it might be intentional to help receivers protect themselves from harm - some is pretty clearly unintentional. It's not the worst habit to have; it's one of the reasons he ever puts the ball in harm's way. It's a lot harder to intercept missing low than high. But it does cost him some YAC. I just love the way he works the pocket, though. NDSU's o line dominated at run blocking, but they struggled a little with some of the higher end defensive lines in pass protection and Lance just seemed to make the most out of every crevice they gave him in the pocket.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Good work. I agree on every point. I will add that he has an occasional tendency to fire low (and sometimes a touch behind) when he really rips passes into tighter windows. Some of it might be intentional to help receivers protect themselves from harm - some is pretty clearly unintentional. It's not the worst habit to have; it's one of the reasons he ever puts the ball in harm's way. It's a lot harder to intercept missing low than high. But it does cost him some YAC. I just love the way he works the pocket, though. NDSU's o line dominated at run blocking, but they struggled a little with some of the higher end defensive lines in pass protection and Lance just seemed to make the most out of every crevice they gave him in the pocket.

Yeah there were a handful of games where the pass rush was blowing past the O-line, but Lance did a great job of navigating that most of the time to step up and hit a target or to step up, scan the field for a target, then take off if nothing is there. 

I forgot to mention in my write up that there were a handful of occasions where he turned a negative play into positive, and sometimes, into a huge gain with his feet. For example, there was a play where the mesh wasn't right on a zone read play and the ball was dropped. Lance picked it up and knew that he had to just take off with it and picked up 20 yards. 

Lance's problem with short hopping some throws and over throwing receivers comes down to his footwork. It can get a bit choppy but when he has his feet under him, he throws a beautiful ball. I don't have much concern of his throwing motion as others and quite frankly, seems like he has worked on that aspect during his time off as at his pro days it looked improved. What I'm excited about is this man has NO fear throwing to the sidelines and has the ability to rip it over the heads of defenders in the intermediate area. He needs to improve on the ball placement of those quick throws as that is a staple of our offense and the ball needs to be in front of the receiver for YAC opportunities.

But the potential is out of the roof. Shanny very well just may end up starting him if he does well in training camp/preseason. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Unreal, just listened to Mike Silver's and his daughters podcast for the first time and this guy's ego is on another level. He said his beef with Kyle calling Matt about Rodgers is that he's known for the past few months that Matt has been stressed out by the entire ordeal and he tried to take advantage of him....Um what? This is a business and first and foremost. Silver tried to say that Kyle has a bunch of pull in SF and is safe with that regime while this move could have gotten Matt fired and this would be his legacy.

Then he is clearly still upset about the Lance pick but still kept saying "I believed Jones was the pick until Kyle fell in love with Lance" lol. Then he pulled a Mike Lombardi and said his question is if the outcry of Jones from the fans and media made him change his mind and how he didn't like how people were saying that Kyle doesn't like black QBs and how he wants just a pocket passer.....Come on man, just admit you had it wrong and move on. Earlier in the podcast I'm pretty sure he took shots at guys like Allbright and said now that he is vaccinated he will be traveling and getting some scoops and people better "watch TF out" LOL. 

These guys are ALL pathetic and truly think they are bigger than the game itself. A lot of Skip Bayless in them. 

At least its all done. Our ownership, FO, coaching staff and QB are all set (at least, the mainstays). We have consistency & no infighting or drama like Harbs/Baalke. We're not making any mega trades for a while. Suffice to say, i'm not going to read a ton of articles or listen to a lot of podcasts next offseason when we're debating between a CB or WR with our first pick lol

Feel bad for the Broncos & Packers fans though....now they'll have to go through all of this. And since Rodgers proabbly won't get traded until at least June 2, its at least a month of speculation for them 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

Man, i just can’t with David Neumann sometimes. I have to remind myself this is the guy that was advocating for trading back and taking DeAndre Baker and Byron Murphy(?) over Bosa. He’s focusing on, of course, a niche pff stat, and extrapolating that he’s going to have massive accuracy issues etc. Not taking into context that he was 19 and that QBs do, generally speaking improve accuracy over time from that age forward. It’s not consistent, but I feel like Lances accuracy issues are getting blown up by Fields stans. 

23 minutes ago, John232 said:

Man, i just can’t with David Neumann sometimes. I have to remind myself this is the guy that was advocating for trading back and taking DeAndre Baker and Byron Murphy(?) over Bosa. He’s focusing on, of course, a niche pff stat, and extrapolating that he’s going to have massive accuracy issues etc. Not taking into context that he was 19 and that QBs do, generally speaking improve accuracy over time from that age forward. It’s not consistent, but I feel like Lances accuracy issues are getting blown up by Fields stans. 

He definitely misses some gimmes, but I don't think he's as bad off as Josh Allen as people like to compare. Still, not great by any chart. In some cases, not even average

But it's a trade off. He's also completely unaffected by pressure to a weird degree and throws extremely well while on the move, especially rolling to his right

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Lol yeah, he was the main reason I stopped listening to that podcast. He’s a bummer to listen to. 

Lance definitely has some issues to work through, but I agree with you. He’s not even 21 yet and it’s hard to believe that he won’t develop better accuracy within the next 2 years. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Lol yeah, he was the main reason I stopped listening to that podcast. He’s a bummer to listen to. 

Lance definitely has some issues to work through, but I agree with you. He’s not even 21 yet and it’s hard to believe that he won’t develop better accuracy within the next 2 years. 

Josh Allen has given me hope....

9 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

We see every offseason QBs working on their footwork and mechanics but when thrown in the fire, they revert to their old self. What gives me confidence here is that Trey is extremely young and growing and more importantly, this man is so calm under pressure that I DO expect him to translate this to actual games. He just has to consistently have his feet under him on every throw. 

• Like 1