49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

When I filled in for Adam Copeland on The Athletic’s “The Update” podcast on Monday, I asked our 49ers beat reporter, Matt Barrows, what changed his mind right before the draft. After mocking Jones to the 49ers on April 28, Barrows predicted on draft day that Lance would actually be the guy for a multitude of reasons that showed how complicated the reporting process ended up being, thanks to the 49ers’ actions.

“I called some folks who are close to Mac Jones, including this guy Joe Dickinson who’s been his QBs coach forever, since he was a little boy, and was with him in Tuscaloosa right up until the draft,” Barrows said. “(He) was in the green room and all that. So I called him and I said, ‘I assume that John Lynch called you and interviewed you,’ as they tend to do for their top picks. They want to interview everybody associated with him. And this guy, Joe Dickinson, is like, ‘No, I haven’t talked to him.’ And there were a couple of other people associated with Mac Jones who hadn’t talked to Lynch and I was like, ‘Huh, that’s a little odd.’ If this guy’s your pick, you want to leave no stone unturned. So I started to think, and this was like two days before the draft, that maybe it’s not as solid on Mac Jones.

Per Steve Berman

Edited by NcFinest9erFan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

When I filled in for Adam Copeland on The Athletic’s “The Update” podcast on Monday, I asked our 49ers beat reporter, Matt Barrows, what changed his mind right before the draft. After mocking Jones to the 49ers on April 28, Barrows predicted on draft day that Lance would actually be the guy for a multitude of reasons that showed how complicated the reporting process ended up being, thanks to the 49ers’ actions.

“I called some folks who are close to Mac Jones, including this guy Joe Dickinson who’s been his QBs coach forever, since he was a little boy, and was with him in Tuscaloosa right up until the draft,” Barrows said. “(He) was in the green room and all that. So I called him and I said, ‘I assume that John Lynch called you and interviewed you,’ as they tend to do for their top picks. They want to interview everybody associated with him. And this guy, Joe Dickinson, is like, ‘No, I haven’t talked to him.’ And there were a couple of other people associated with Mac Jones who hadn’t talked to Lynch and I was like, ‘Huh, that’s a little odd.’ If this guy’s your pick, you want to leave no stone unturned. So I started to think, and this was like two days before the draft, that maybe it’s not as solid on Mac Jones.

Per Steve Berman

Also add in the fact that according to Saban, neither Kyle nor John asked him anything about Jones...Granted, they may still be upset at the Foster situation but still. 

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/2572409/2021/05/07/justin-fields-better-than-zach-wilson-micah-parsons-potential-with-cowboys-execs-unfiltered-on-nfl-draft/

Long article on anonymous execs/evaluators/former GM's takes on the draft...its a great read overall.

i'll quote a few Justin Fields/Trey Lance blurbs from the article's takes on the Bears/Niners draft classes

“I had Fields ahead of Zach Wilson and Trey Lance,” an exec said. “The body of work was certainly better. Trey Lance requires a lot of development. The key for Fields will be putting some weapons around him and featuring his mobility. The guy is a running back with the skillset to play quarterback. You get the run game going, with his ability to execute play-action and hit the deep ball, and he is very intriguing.”

“Fields is tough and has grit, and I think he will play through things and come out the other side,” an evaluator said, “but I don’t see the pocket awareness or instincts as consistently. When you don’t react as naturally, your talent has a harder time taking over. I do think he is eventually a starter, but what level of starter, we will find out. Chicago really didn’t have much choice, right?”

“I would bet on Trey Lance,” a former GM said. “I don’t know how fast it is going to happen, a high-character guy with talent going to an excellent system and an excellent coach.”

One evaluator thought Lance faced an easier learning curve than Fields based on what each must improve.

“The things to fix with Lance are easier than the things to fix with Fields,” this evaluator said. “Most of that has to do with instincts, the quickness and consistency of their reactions.”

“Trey Lance is this ball of clay and the only thing is whether he can process at the next level because he just doesn’t have the experience,” an exec said. “But all the talent is there, the mental part seems to be there, the personality seems to be there. All the pieces are there. He is developmental, so it makes sense to keep Jimmy for now.”

• Like 2

I just got an Xbox S and had Madden 20, then upgraded to Madden 21 on Gamepass after it released after the SB 

The madden game i played before that was Madden 05 haha. A huge upgrade in graphics and gameplay over a 15 year period. But Madden 05 has a better franchise mode, soundtrack, love the Tony Bruno show, and there's a lot of nostalgia (not all of it good) in playing with Tim Rattay, Arnaz Battle, Kevan Barlow etc haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Per Steve Berman

This is great insight, but also seems a little odd. How has no one asked this guy this question before the draft? Seems like an easy clue here and it was never reported on. 

it feels like low-hanging fruit that no one wanted to pick for some reason.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We see every offseason QBs working on their footwork and mechanics but when thrown in the fire, they revert to their old self. What gives me confidence here is that Trey is extremely young and growing and more importantly, this man is so calm under pressure that I DO expect him to translate this to actual games. He just has to consistently have his feet under him on every throw. 

Yes, he's so young that he doesn't really have an old self to revert to. He's spent a lot more time than other prospects preparing for the NFL. He's had the opportunity to work on pro footwork and pro throwing motion while other prospects had to learn college gameplans, play games and heal from injuries. Mechanically, Lance might have had a head start on others. He'll have to adjust to the speed of the game more than others, and he'll have more rust, but he has had advantages other QBs in this class didn't.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Also add in the fact that according to Saban, neither Kyle nor John asked him anything about Jones...Granted, they may still be upset at the Foster situation but still. 

But... the narrative... they traded up for Mac... it was Mac until the social media pressure changed their minds... but...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This is great insight, but also seems a little odd. How has no one asked this guy this question before the draft? Seems like an easy clue here and it was never reported on. 

Well, if you call him a month before the draft, all he can say is "John Lynch hasn't called me... yet". In terms of reporting, it doesn't mean a whole lot. So, do you call every coach every week until he's either talked to Lynch or he's blocked your number? Do you think Nick Saban takes calls from 5 beat reporters from every QB-needy team in the league every week? Does his QB coach take calls from 5 beat reporters from every QB-needy team in the league? I don't know... it doesn't sounds like something that is or should be happening. And what prevents coaches from lying anyway? Did you talk to John Lynch? No, I haven't. Or have I? dun dun dun!

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Because it didn't fit their pre-conceived stance. 

I've been watching a few of Trey's games. I don't think he'll be a great runner in the NFL, not in a designed-run kind of way. Lamar has designed runs, Josh Allen has designed runs. But I don't think Trey is good a reading blocks, so he ends up hitting the first hole and lowering his shoulders. I don't like that. He won't carry people in the NFL. What I love is when he runs on designed pass plays. If Aaron Rodgers managed to have 600 yards running seasons, Then Trey can have 800. He's a great open field runner, and if DBs try to tackle him, he'll run through it easily. He looks like he wants to be a pocket passer, and if he does it at a high enough level, then he'll have plays where the field opens up in front of him and he takes what the defense gives him. He doesn't need designed runs to be a running threat. But knowing Kyle, he'll design plays so that the option of running is there. First read is this, second read is that, third read is the middle of the field wide open for you and your legs. From the few games I watched, he either didn't look good at read options, or those plays weren't really read options, but pure designed runs disguised as a read option. So I don't know if we'll truly implement that many read option concepts with him. The league loves the stress it puts on defenses in the red zone, so I guess we'll explore it at least, but I don't think that's his strength.

The play I kept thinking about the other day was the roll out, with receivers running levels, and George leaking out the opposite side after faking a block (or after chipping a DL to help out McGlinchey). Imagine running that off the playaction. That could be unstoppable. Trey has the touch to throw all those different levels, the arm strength to throw across his body to the leaking Kittle, and if there's an alley, he can run for the first down every time. I seem to remember that Jimmy had a lot more rollouts, pre-ACL. It's in the playbook. Trey will eventually be able to run it all.

• Like 1