49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

😲 So Fields was a smokescreen all along?! Kyle must not have been impressed with Fields at all if he was doing this on the plane home.....

What smokescreen? Just going to the pro day you mean? Yeah, I think so. Or just basic due diligence. 

Pretty sure the pick was just always Lance.

Weird to go fields negative based on that info as opposed to Lance positive (ie, Kyle was in love with Lance from jump), but it's a popular take on Twitter as well. People talking about giving fields fuel and stuff. I don't think fields has anything to do with it.  I looked at it as Lynch wanting to provide another example of how shanny was enamored with Lance and how it was always Lance

• Like 3

I don't buy the notion of a last minute change. I think Lance was the leader all along. 

I do buy that we had Jones over Fields, for whatever reason. I mean, Lynch said that Shanny was drawing up plays for Lance on the flight home from Fields pro day. 

Guessing we had the top 5 ranked as Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Jones, Fields.

For all we know, we could have been one of the teams that had Fields with a 4th round grade

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I don't buy the notion of a last minute change. I think Lance was the leader all along. 

I do buy that we had Jones over Fields, for whatever reason. I mean, Lynch said that Shanny was drawing up plays for Lance on the flight home from Fields pro day. 

Guessing we had the top 5 ranked as Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Jones, Fields.

For all we know, we could have been one of the teams that had Fields with a 4th round grade

I haven't heard them say anything about who was after Lance, if anyone has info, would love to read it. Maybe we will get that story, one day. I'd be intrigued. Honestly, seems like we just went to the bama pro day and then just dropped Mac (At least we were checking in on fields throughout the entire process according to Beck) but obviously shanny was in love with Lance while checking out fields in what appears to be a strictly procedural move.

But either way, I think both were waaaaaaay behind Lance. I think he was the dude from jump

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I haven't heard them say anything about who was after Lance, if anyone has info, would love to read it. Maybe we will get that story, one day. I'd be intrigued. Honestly, seems like we just went to the bama pro day and then just dropped Mac (At least we were checking in on fields throughout the entire process according to Beck) but obviously shanny was in love with Lance while checking out fields in what appears to be a strictly procedural move.

But either way, I think both were waaaaaaay behind Lance. I think he was the dude from jump

I don’t have the specific interviews bookmarked, but I did find it interesting that both Shanny and Lynch mentioned Lance and Mac when discussing the selection of Trey and neither of them mentioned Fields. It seems like he wasn’t even in the discussion in their minds. Personally I still think Fields is going to be a hell of a player, but it’s interesting to have seen that teams like the Panthers and Broncos passed on him and that we didn’t appear to have any real interest in him. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I don’t have the specific interviews bookmarked, but I did find it interesting that both Shanny and Lynch mentioned Lance and Mac when discussing the selection of Trey and neither of them mentioned Fields. It seems like he wasn’t even in the discussion in their minds. Personally I still think Fields is going to be a hell of a player, but it’s interesting to have seen that teams like the Panthers and Broncos passed on him and that we didn’t appear to have any real interest in him. 

Carolina didn't surprise me after they acquired darnold. I don't think many expected them to go qb. 

The feeling I got from Ben was that Lance was the apple of Denver's eye.

John mentioned both in the most recent interview, but every time they talk it feels like it's just to pump up how much they wanted Lance lol. They are basically blowing sunshine and rainbows out of their butt 😂

Unfortunately, while I really liked fields as a prospect, one of the reasons I wanted him was that I felt like shanny would mask some of his specific,  individual flaws. Not sure that happens in Chicago. Furthermore, I just don't love that situation for him. Pace hasn't really instilled any confidence in me that he can build a roster, and I've never been a nagy fan. Two new tackles, arob on the tag and potentially gone after the year is over. An aging defense. There's a reasonable chance nagy and pace are gone after the year, then fields is saddled with a coach and front office that didn't invest  in him (think darnold this year). I just think this situation has the chance to be really bad for fields. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sherm said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2021/5/28/22458546/49ers-is-kyle-shanahan-making-the-same-mistake-he-made-in-2017

I know the pick is made and I'm good with it. But it would suck if Kyle never gave Fields a legit chance in the draft process. Everyone knows I wanted Fields so they will always be linked together for me. 

I feel like the article is a reach. Is it possible that Kyle fell in love and went tunnel vision sure. But I trust Lynch to force Kyle to open them back up thru the process till the end. Especially since Kyle stated he didn't want to dilute everyone's opinion with telling everyone his preferences. I trust they went thru the process. End of the day Kyle will go off of tape, this article is reaching that Kyle didn't put the attention to Fields especially like if prodays matter on picking the player. Seems like the league felt the same way in Fields regardless if the top 10 teams will regret it or not. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

But I trust Lynch to force Kyle to open them back up thru the process till the end.

Why? I wouldn't lol. John works for Kyle and frankly, John isn't a scout. 

In the end, I do agree about the tape part though. The pro day was procedural. He had watched tape and made his choice long before any of them had their pro day. The pro day certainly shouldn't have changed his mind. 

I do think it's an interesting talking point, but more interesting if the situation was basically Kyle watching Lance first and just being like, "nope, that's the guy. Don't care what the others look like" but that's not something that would happen I'm fairly confident

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Why? I wouldn't lol. John works for Kyle and frankly, John isn't a scout. 

In the end, I do agree about the tape part though. The pro day was procedural. He had watched tape and made his choice long before any of them had their pro day. The pro day certainly shouldn't have changed his mind. 

I do think it's an interesting talking point, but more interesting if the situation was basically Kyle watching Lance first and just being like, "nope, that's the guy. Don't care what the others look like" but that's not something that would happen I'm fairly confident

For me I trust when they say they followed the process and agreed to do so when they made the trade. Could they be full of it possibly but again that's just me. But I agree Kyle is the GM and if he wanted Lance nothing was going to change that. 

I will say if they had picked Mac I'd be thinking the complete opposite tho 🤣.

Edited by 49erurtaza

14 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I feel like the article is a reach. Is it possible that Kyle fell in love and went tunnel vision sure. But I trust Lynch to force Kyle to open them back up thru the process till the end. Especially since Kyle stated he didn't want to dilute everyone's opinion with telling everyone his preferences. I trust they went thru the process. End of the day Kyle will go off of tape, this article is reaching that Kyle didn't put the attention to Fields especially like if prodays matter on picking the player. Seems like the league felt the same way in Fields regardless if the top 10 teams will regret it or not. 

Lynch mentioned that the weekend before the draft, he gave Kyle time to think, and that it wasn't 100% decided then. And when Kyle called John to tell him it was Lance, John wasn't sure it would be Lance and he was relieved and excited. My read on all this, it's that from a personnel standpoint, Lance was Lynch's guy through and through, but Kyle was the one who was deeply analytic about all the potential draftees, and wouldn't get tunnel vision about the whole deal. I guess that the duo does seem to realize the importance of that pick, that their job is pretty much tied to this pick being succcessful, and Kyle probably has the most to lose. If Lynch loses his job, he can become a team president for a handful of teams (the Broncos would jump on him), or he can go back to TV easily. If Kyle loses his job, he may have to take a backseat for a few years. Kyle had most of the weight of the decision on his shoulders. Lynch defers when it comes to QBs. Kyle can't defer. Even if he asks Scangarello to go evaluate a QB, Kyle bears the responsibility anyway. So he couldn't afford to have tunnel vision when it comes to the biggest decision of his career. 

So why didn't we put as much attention in Fields as we did in the others? Are there red flags that we don't know of? Personality mesh? Mechanics? Certain traits that are not necessarily obvious to us? There's a handful of reasons why he perhaps wasn't in the same tier as the other QBs. We will probably never know the full story.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rudyZ said:

So why didn't we put as much attention in Fields as we did in the others? Are there red flags that we don't know of? Personality mesh? Mechanics? Certain traits that are not necessarily obvious to us? There's a handful of reasons why he perhaps wasn't in the same tier as the other QBs. We will probably never know the full story.

Simms breaks down some football reasons he’s been hesitant on Fields particularly his throwing mechanics. Says it’s not an easy fix. 

The Orlovsky interview received backlash and maybe rightfully so but since his fall in the draft I’ve wondered if the reporting rings true for some other teams that passed on Fields. I don’t know the type of worker/leader Fields is but it’s possible teams weren’t sold on his professionalism.

I’m fascinated by Fields’ fall in the draft. The Lions/Panthers/Broncos passing with the Pats also rumored not to be interested to me means there’s something not right that I can’t see. He’s too talented to fall otherwise. 

To me it seems like the league is betting against Fields. The league isn’t always right (Jackson, Lamar) but my gut says they might be right on this one. Not that he’ll be terrible but maybe he’ll be Jay Cutler-esque. A good player but always leaving something to be desired by the organization. 

Hope I’m wrong and I’m definitely rooting for Fields. Just trying to read the tea leaves and make sense of him falling in the draft. 

11 hours ago, Uncle_Rico said:

I’m fascinated by Fields’ fall in the draft. The Lions/Panthers/Broncos passing with the Pats also rumored not to be interested to me means there’s something not right that I can’t see. He’s too talented to fall otherwise. 

The lions and Panthers don't surprise me. 

I've talked about it before, but teams who have new coaches and gms (lions) seldom take a qb with their first pick unless they have 1oa. It's pretty rare. Limited sample (needs right situation, but there's a couple ever year). The falcons did it with Ryan and I'm not sure it's happened since (maybe one other time? I can't remember. Someone can confirm, I'm sure lol)

The Panthers nabbed Darnold who is 1 year older than Mac Jones and is actually younger than Joe burrow. People may not be bullish on him, but they didn't give up scraps for him. He's 23 and I get it. Honestly, it's not that dissimilar to what we did with Jimmy. 

So that leaves Denver, and I'm with you, that one kind of shocked me. Maybe it's a rodgers thing or something, I dunno. But in that situation, I 100% would have took my shot there

11 hours ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Simms breaks down some football reasons he’s been hesitant on Fields particularly his throwing mechanics. Says it’s not an easy fix. 

It only really impacts the short game in terms of accuracy, and it's a legit concern, but somewhat overblown. Justone talked about it a few times during the draft.He's still an insanely accurate QB, so it just doesn't bug me like it did Simms. If you're going to be concerned about it, it's more of a timing thing for me, and I just include that in the overall timing below. I don't think his mechanics really need to be fixed, but that's just me. 

I'd be much more concerned with his play against pressure (also legit) and just how laissez faire his actions are. The latter is a weird one. He's that guy who's taking a stroll when everyone else is sprinting. Just never in a hurry. Not a mental thing... Comes off more as a lifestyle choice lol.  It's weird to watch him play sometimes. I don't know that ultimately it's bad or something that he doesn't turn on/off at the next level, but yeah, it exists. I get what people are saying there