49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

11 hours ago, Uncle_Rico said:

To me it seems like the league is betting against Fields. The league isn’t always right (Jackson, Lamar) but my gut says they might be right on this one. Not that he’ll be terrible but maybe he’ll be Jay Cutler-esque. A good player but always leaving something to be desired by the organization.

The league also (rather famously) missed on rodgers 😂. It's one of those weird things that happens every now and again and I think it's just a perfect moment in time where things play out how they do. 

Fields is going to certainly has a crazy range of outcomes. The situation is pretty bad to me though. Possibly the worst. If you had to rank the situations of the rookie QBs, i think his is definitely the worst if the first round guys (including Wilson and the jets), and mond definitely has a better situation. I honestly am not sure there are too many places that I would have rated worse than Chicago. Really have to hope they perform well, pace/nagy stick and arob hangs around. Love he and mooney, but after that, not much that I love in that offense and the defense is getting older and worse 

(Sorry for the multi quote. Was on my phone, easier to parse my thoughts on shorter streams of consciousness 😂)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What was it about Justin Fields’ tape that made him on a lower level than Lance and Jones to Shanahan? I’m not an X&O’s expert but I never understand why he wasn’t the choice. — Peter S

I think the criticism of Fields’ long windup is exaggerated but his release is longer than Lance’s. Lance’s overall delivery — including lower-body mechanics— is quicker and I think that’s important in Shanahan’s offense that utilizes a lot quicker, shorter route combinations. Fields is more suited for an offense that is primary based out of the gun that attacks downfield more often. I liked Fields better but I understand Shanahan’s thought process. I’m very excited to see what Shanahan can do with a quarterback with as many tools — physical and mental — that Lance has.

Ted Nguyen

https://theathletic.com/2665968/2021/06/23/trey-lances-role-with-49ers-why-not-justin-fields-lamar-jackson-under-center-ted-nguyens-mailbag-part-2/

• Like 5

11 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I think that’s BS. If someone is a better QB you adjust your offense, not vice versa. Fields slipped because of something that the normal fan or beat writer can’t assess. Shanny and other coaches/GMs throughout the league aren’t going to roast Fields, but there is something they really didn’t like. Many guess it’s off the field or character issues or something in the interview. I think I’m a genius and it’s what I’ve been saying the last 7 or 8 months which is pocket presence and ability to read a defense. I think Shanny and others saw tremendous arm talent but not a lot of natural instinct in the pocket and poor ability to read a defense and react quickly. 

I like Fields as a human and I preferred him over Lance as a prospect (hope I’m wrong) but had him as a teens overall pick in my uneducated head. Liked Mac the best (not as a human, dude’s a tool) as many here know. I was one of what, 3 on this site pulling for Mac?

I gotta say though now that he’s on the squad, I’m pretty high on Lance. Maybe I’m just a homer, but I was definitely not wanting him as the pick.  Maybe it’s what I’ve read or seen on camp videos, but now I have visions of him on a podium with Mahomes looking up at him wishing he had his talent and brains. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

I gotta say though now that he’s on the squad, I’m pretty high on Lance. Maybe I’m just a homer, but I was definitely not wanting him as the pick.  Maybe it’s what I’ve read or seen on camp videos, but now I have visions of him on a podium with Mahomes looking up at him wishing he had his talent and brains. 

I was never higher on Lance than I was after we traded for pick three. Liked Fields better as a prospect, but after we traded up to 3 and I really started to dig into them even more, and then added some analytics to it, the more I started to like him.

Before we made the move, I actually thought he was going to be the guy who fell out of the QBs, despite the media basically telling everyone that the NFL loved him. He does so many little things so well that we as fans don't appreciate, and mentally he moves so damn fast.  The lack of experience was terrifying, as was the accuracy that could come and go. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I was never higher on Lance than I was after we traded for pick three. Liked Fields better as a prospect, but after we traded up to 3 and I really started to dig into them even more, and then added some analytics to it, the more I started to like him.

Before we made the move, I actually thought he was going to be the guy who fell out of the QBs, despite the media basically telling everyone that the NFL loved him. He does so many little things so well that we as fans don't appreciate, and mentally he moves so damn fast.  The lack of experience was terrifying, as was the accuracy that could come and go. 

Yea, I'm still not there yet. I'm hoping for the best and I understand the little nuanced attributes he possess from the pocket. But with QBs I tend to gravitate to natural throwers of the ball. Just that effortless ability to drop a dime in a variety of arm angels and off-schedule situations and I haven't seen that yet in Lance. NOT saying it isn't there. But it just isn't evident when I watch the tape. He looks great throwing on air but I want to see if his accuracy has improved when the bullets start flying. That was another major concern of mine when watching him intently.

I'm SOOOOOOO thankful the pick wasn't Mac. And I understand why Shanny preferred him over Fields. But as far as being enamored with him as a player, I'm still working towards that love affair. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm SOOOOOOO thankful the pick wasn't Mac. And I understand why Shanny preferred him over Fields. But as far as being enamored with him as a player, I'm still working towards that love affair. 

The one thing during the interviews after the draft that has me a little concerned is something that we've seen before with Shanny; he tends to get locked in on his plan and is unwilling to deviate from it. The story about him not really looking into the QBs in 2017 because they knew they wanted to go get Cousins in the offseason and now we have the story about Shanny drawing up plays for Lance on the flight back from Fields pro-day, which by all accounts, including Lynch's, was very impressive. I know I was impressed with Fields pro-day. I still love Fields ability to throw the ball with tremendous accuracy, but I was all in on Lance when we were at 12 so I am far from upset that we took him. All of the news coming out about Lance all off-season has been super encouraging, and every other day it seems like there is some post about him working with a variety of people (see @49erurtaza post above). We as fans do not have the opportunity to meet these guys, but it certainly seems like TL has everything from the neck up that you'd want in a franchise QB. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea, I'm still not there yet. I'm hoping for the best and I understand the little nuanced attributes he possess from the pocket. But with QBs I tend to gravitate to natural throwers of the ball. Just that effortless ability to drop a dime in a variety of arm angels and off-schedule situations and I haven't seen that yet in Lance. NOT saying it isn't there. But it just isn't evident when I watch the tape. He looks great throwing on air but I want to see if his accuracy has improved when the bullets start flying. That was another major concern of mine when watching him intently.

Same pretty much across the board. He's never struck me as a natural thrower. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, straighthate said:

I think that’s BS. If someone is a better QB you adjust your offense, not vice versa. Fields slipped because of something that the normal fan or beat writer can’t assess. Shanny and other coaches/GMs throughout the league aren’t going to roast Fields, but there is something they really didn’t like. Many guess it’s off the field or character issues or something in the interview. I think I’m a genius and it’s what I’ve been saying the last 7 or 8 months which is pocket presence and ability to read a defense. I think Shanny and others saw tremendous arm talent but not a lot of natural instinct in the pocket and poor ability to read a defense and react quickly. 

I like Fields as a human and I preferred him over Lance as a prospect (hope I’m wrong) but had him as a teens overall pick in my uneducated head. Liked Mac the best (not as a human, dude’s a tool) as many here know. I was one of what, 3 on this site pulling for Mac?

I was/am big on Mac. Lance is likely the much better choice, but I would have been pleased with Mac. I think he was woefully under-rated on this board. The Pats obviously like him. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I was/am big on Mac. Lance is likely the much better choice, but I would have been pleased with Mac. I think he was woefully under-rated on this board. The Pats obviously like him. 

Sure. The pats were picking 15. I don't think people would have been nearly as anti Mac if we were still picking at 12 rather than 3. 15 is where a lot of people thought he should go around. Even I wouldn't have been up in arms about Mac at 12.

Likewise, I think people who didn't want fields would have been far more amenable to taking him where he was actually chosen (in line with our original selection).

I don't think Mac was underrated on this board, clearly Fields was overrated though in comparison to the NFL. 

I really wish it was a story we would get some day. The more I've thought about it, the more I wonder if fields bombed interviews or didn't endear himself to people. When he was picked by the bears, people commented on his reaction almost immediately and Ben had hinted at something along those lines a couple of times

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Sure. The pats were picking 15. I don't think people would have been nearly as anti Mac if we were still picking at 12 rather than 3. 15 is where a lot of people thought he should go around. Even I wouldn't have been up in arms about Mac at 12.

Likewise, I think people who didn't want fields would have been far more amenable to taking him where he was actually chosen (in line with our original selection).

I don't think Mac was underrated on this board, clearly Fields was overrated though in comparison to the NFL. 

I really wish it was a story we would get some day. The more I've thought about it, the more I wonder if fields bombed interviews or didn't endear himself to people. When he was picked by the bears, people commented on his reaction almost immediately and Ben had hinted at something along those lines a couple of times

I really believe its a personality thing with Fields. He seems to have a standoffish kind of demeanor from what little I've seen of him. I can see how that could rub some ppl the wrong way and give the impression he's self-absorbed. And at the QB position, EVERYTHING is overanalyzed and dissected to the 100th power. I think its the personality on the field that matters. A-Rod is pretty aloof and a self-centered egomaniac. Doesn't stop him from being one of the greatest QBs of all time. 

But your absolutely right about Mac. Wouldn't have been too bummed picking him@12 even though I would have preferred to wait later and grab a guy like Trask in the 2nd ultimately. But he had no business going Top 3. Like none...

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/147987-49ers-beat-reporter-says-lance-showed-improvement-player/

"He might be the only person since I've been covering the team, which is about a quarter of a decade, that from one week of OTAs to the next week, you could actually see the improvement," Maiocco said. "The first week we went out there and he just kind of seemed to be a little bit unsure of himself, a tick slow. The ball was sailing high. You could tell there was just a lot going on in his head. And in the next week, he went out there and you could tell -- he was directing traffic, moving guys from spot A to spot B, and he threw the ball a little bit more accurately. It's not often that you see a dramatic change that you can see with your naked eye."

49ers general manager John Lynch had the same assessment as Maiocco. It's important to note, of course, that OTAs don't present the same level of challenge Lance will face once pads come on in training camp and in the preseason, but so far, the verdict is very positive.

"I think I asked John Lynch a week or so after that. I was like, 'Hey, was I seeing things right?'" Maiocco said. "I was only to watch a couple of those practices -- only two of the seven practices I think it was I was able to see. And he was like, 'No, that's exactly how we felt.' You could actually see him growing and learning. He's putting in the time. I'm not ready to stamp his ticket to Canton or anything, but so far he is certainly the guy they thought he would be from a character standpoint, a work ethic standpoint. Then it doesn't take long to see the physical tools as well."

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 5