WR Kadarius Toney selected by Giants 1.20- Placed on covid list

Acgott

I have little doubt in the player. I have alot of doubt in JG. Can he create a role for this talented young man? Can he exploit his strengths and allow him to be a thorn in the D's side.  I picture this young man as a Cole Beasley role but with way more explosiveness. Give this man the ball in space and let him go to work. 

18 hours ago, Gmen said:

There's no doubt he's going to be fun to watch with the ball in his hands.

I'm sure Jason Garrett of all people will be great at getting the most out of a gadget player.

This was a terrible pick imo, and I liked the Giants original move to move down. Makes no sense to spend high draft capital on a gadget player like Toney who did not break out until his senior season- especially when you already have Shepherd, Slayton, Golladay, Engram, and Barkley as pass catchers. Seems like a poor use of resources when there's not many targets available to go around.

39 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I'm sure Jason Garrett of all people will be great at getting the most out of a gadget player.

This was a terrible pick imo, and I liked the Giants original move to move down. Makes no sense to spend high draft capital on a gadget player like Toney who did not break out until his senior season- especially when you already have Shepherd, Slayton, Golladay, Engram, and Barkley as pass catchers. Seems like a poor use of resources when there's not many targets available to go around.

You're certainly not the first person to feel that way about Garrett's offense.  But, I feel like forcing missed tackles and gaining YAC is a skill that's pretty universally utilizable.  Get the guy the ball on screens, reverses, punt returns, and let him do his thing until he develops more as a route runner.  He can have a role and an impact from day one simply because he's so electric with the ball in his hands.

The Giants were bottom 5 in forced missed tackles last year according to PFF.  They sorely lacked explosive play makers like Toney since OBJ left.  In a perfect world where everyone stays healthy, yea there might not be enough targets to go around.  But in reality in the NFL is that injuries happen, and the #4 WR on the depth chart going into training camp has plenty of opportunities by the end of the year. 

That being said, I didn't feel like WR was the biggest need either going into the draft.  I felt like OL should have been the #1 priority.  Was really hoping that Slater or AVT were still there after the trade down, but alas..

Would still do that trade down 10 times out of 10 though

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I might be one of the few here i have no faith in this kid. I have watched at least 2-3 interviews with him and the way he answers questions and the way he seems to go about his business he seems like a diva in the making. Still think he was a bad pick and pick to me that wreaked of desparation. 

41 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

I might be one of the few here i have no faith in this kid. I have watched at least 2-3 interviews with him and the way he answers questions and the way he seems to go about his business he seems like a diva in the making. Still think he was a bad pick and pick to me that wreaked of desparation. 

That’s quite an assumption based on two interviews. What way does he go about his busisness?

5 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

cant put my finger on it but its rubbing me the wrong way. 

I see, I’m not a fan of the pick either, but I can’t judge someone when we haven’t even played a game nor had training camp. Let’s at least get him into a game. If he’s all about the money, he still needs to actually play to get more.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:53 PM, Giants4eva said:

cant put my finger on it but its rubbing me the wrong way. 

Eh? You do understand this is a 22 year old kid that has never even been to New York City before. They are called rookies for a reason, some of them need time to grow into being a professional, which Judge and the locker room should help him to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I've reached the point of inactivity during the offseason that I have magically convinced myself the Toney is a complete bust. He has done nothing to deserve this but that's where I'm at lol.. he can blame it on the Yankees ruining my summer. But seriously, as we get closer to training camp what's the expectation?

The first half of the season it's hard to imagine him getting more than 10 snaps per game assuming everyone else is healthy. Will they have him return kicks/punts to get him onto the field? John Ross and Dante Pettis (assuming they make the roster) would have to be in the conversation as well. 

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I believe Golladay will really open things up for Shepard and Slayton. They've been the focus of defenses the last few seasons which is hard to believe. With the weapons above him and his lack of polish, it's just hard to see him get enough opportunities. That being said, I guess he would get his chance when Shep inevitably goes down for a few weeks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...