With the 26th pick, the Browns select CB Greg Newsome II

zelbell

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So what did we learn about AB last night?

Obviously 1 draft plus one first rounder is a small sample size, but I think we’re seeing AB isn’t looking for succession planning/next year with high picks.  He wants guys who can contribute now, which isn’t unreasonable. Not to say he’s drafting for need, but it’s definitely a huge factor.

Applying that to last years selection of Delpit as well as the third rounders, what does that mean for tonight?  Just a guess obviously, but I don’t think we see a WR in round 2.  

I think it’s going to be a guy who could step in and contribute right away.  Safety, corner (if they think Greedy is done), LB, or DL.

I think S is a bigger possibility than maybe the general consensus.  If we’re running a 3 S base, we’d better have another option there as Delpit is a complete unknown and Harrison is both a FA and had issues staying healthy last season.

In no particular order:

Youth

Athleticism

Production

Ability to contribute immediately

What we don't know is (per the play immediately point) is if he was their #1 guy and it also happened to be a position of need or merely a happy coincidence. The next 3 picks will tell us A LOT in that regard.

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In no particular order:

Youth

Athleticism

Production

Ability to contribute immediately

What we don't know is (per the play immediately point) is if he was their #1 guy and it also happened to be a position of need or merely a happy coincidence. The next 3 picks will tell us A LOT in that regard.

And I think that philosophy can change from the first to the 7th round.

As in, in the first you feel there are multiple starting caliber players at relatively equal value, so you definitely go with need.  Later in the draft you’re just looking to find the best talent available as none of the guys there are anyone you’re looking at as a day one contributor.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And I think that philosophy can change from the first to the 7th round.

1st Round, my default is ALWAYS going to be floor/safe.

2nd and 3rd Rounds, my default is generally "need and best remaining player".

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As in, in the first you feel there are multiple starting caliber players at relatively equal value, so you definitely go with need.  Later in the draft you’re just looking to find the best talent available as none of the guys there are anyone you’re looking at as a day one contributor.

I start rolling the dice somewhere around rounds 4-7 on crazy athleticism, upside, character and injury concerns, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Definitely possible, although I wouldn’t be shocked to see JOK keep falling.

These NFL coaches are unimaginative.

Man he’s just small without the true safety range. 

215 he’s just small 

I’d rather trade up for Moreig and just say we’re shutting down everything passing you could throw at us 

• Like 2

We really should expect our 1st and 2nd round picks to practically always be those "key" positions. OT, CB, Pass Rush, QB. My guess would be they've added WR and FS to that since the document was made (Delpit evidences the FS part), but we don't know for sure yet. 

On LB, I think people are massively overhyping the level of need. Phillips was solid and improved as the year progressed, I think he is penciled in as one starter. Anthony Walker was super underrated at Indy, their LBs and coaches loved him. He's the "get everyone lined up right" LB. And then Malcom Smith is the coverage backup. Mack Wilson, Elijah Lee, and Takitaki competing for backup slots. I highly doubt we take one before our 3rd round picks, and honestly I would be MORE suprised for us to take an LB in the 3rd than if we don't take one by the end of the 4th.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FGK said:

We really should expect our 1st and 2nd round picks to practically always be those "key" positions. OT, CB, Pass Rush, QB. My guess would be they've added WR and FS to that since the document was made (Delpit evidences the FS part), but we don't know for sure yet. 

On LB, I think people are massively overhyping the level of need. Phillips was solid and improved as the year progressed, I think he is penciled in as one starter. Anthony Walker was super underrated at Indy, their LBs and coaches loved him. He's the "get everyone lined up right" LB. And then Malcom Smith is the coverage backup. Mack Wilson, Elijah Lee, and Takitaki competing for backup slots. I highly doubt we take one before our 3rd round picks, and honestly I would be MORE suprised for us to take an LB in the 3rd than if we don't take one by the end of the 4th.

I’m not sayin you’re wrong, but I’ve seen this organization continually disregard off ball linebackers in every and all schemes while other franchises who are competitive year in, year out embrace them.

They consistently have good to elite defenses, ours are almost always bottom 5. And not just teams from 5 or 10 years ago, I’m talking about our current competition for an AFC title.

You can’t just trot any old bro out at an entire position group and expect elite or even “good” production imo.

Our backers were bad last year and Walker isn’t gonna fix everything imo.

Take away the injuries and he’s equal to Surtain and Horn. Fantastic athlete.

Good strength and physicality from press.

Nimble feet with smooth backpedal to gain depth.

Talented mirror-and-match technique versus early release.

Plays under balanced platform for easier transitions.

Has shown the ability to recover with feet, not hands.

Allowed 31.6% completion rate and just 7.8 yards per catch in 2020, per PFF.

Well-versed in off-man and Cover 3 schemes to go with press.

Locates and maintains position to play the football.

Assails receivers' chances on contested catches.

Drives forward with intent to punish and jar the catch loose.

Takes smart angles to the reception and comes to balance as tackler.

Very willing as wrap-up tackler in run support.

Edited by candyman93

3 hours ago, FGK said:

It's right in the guardrails document that DePodesta put out years ago.

Character, Play, and Data - Play being production at what age against what competition, data being athletic testing numbers

Let's look at the Browns' Guardrails from the analytics team - Dawgs By  Nature

Im wonderiing about the 'Identify and Pay Early' part considering Baker, Chubb and Ward are all still without longterm deals.

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im wonderiing about the 'Identify and Pay Early' part considering Baker, Chubb and Ward are all still without longterm deals.

I’m assuming most if not all of them want to see what the cap will be next year before signing anything.

Why would they sign now when the cap just went down for the first time in years?

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m assuming most if not all of them want to see what the cap will be next year before signing anything.

Why would they sign now when the cap just went down for the first time in years?

Because you can give a good deal now knowing that when the cap goes up next year it will look like a steal. Especially in Chubbs case.