Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

3 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Ok. Disregard Pauline. Let me ask it this way: What makes Stokes a better prospect than Campbell in your mind? I have no idea which is and why. Just trying to gain insight.

I have no idea. Haven't seen more than one Georgia game this past season. I guess he fits our prototype (long, athletic, explosive).

8 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I feel like we drafted Ahmad Carroll. Between a reach on a corner and the AR news, it is hard to be excited.

I do get what we saw (fast db). 

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but what I remember of Carroll was guy who had the ability to stay with WRs but the inability to keep himself from committing blatant PI. That was the frustrating thing - Carroll would be RIGHT THERE and then he'd grab a fistful of jersey for no real reason. They had him practice with boxing gloves on, it was so bad. 

So if he's a non-handsy Ahmad Carroll, that's OK. 

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The phrasing of "since Javon Walker" is funny, as though the days of Javon Walker on the Packers were somehow halcyon days.  Like Greg Jennings was a better player in his prime than Walker was in his, and James Jones might have been.

I'd disagree - I think Walker had the potential to be a truly amazing player but his knee injury ended that. Jennings was more productive because his peak was 4-5 seasons, whereas Walker was more of a one-year wonder for GB. 

• Like 1

Quick film glance this AM, biggest concern is going to be change of direction for him. The tape and the short shuttle definitely meld right now. They need to get a little more hip flexibility out of him. If he's been working solely on explosive movements to run fast and jump high, I'm sure it's come with a lack of flexibility work. Very linear athlete right now. 

I'll be able to give a more thorough scouting report after work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

But that's the narrative.  "Rodgers has only thrown TD to first round drafted pass catchers.....Lewis, give the MVP some weapons"

The dude was MVP, why does he need weapons?

You can't expect a QB to win when he's throwing to low- (or un-) drafted garbage like Driver, Nelson, Jennings, Adams, Cobb, Finley, or Tonyan. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Quick film glance this AM, biggest concern is going to be change of direction for him. The tape and the short shuttle definitely meld right now. They need to get a little more hip flexibility out of him. If he's been working solely on explosive movements to run fast and jump high, I'm sure it's come with a lack of flexibility work. Very linear athlete right now. 

I'll be able to give a more thorough scouting report after work.

His closing speed does make up for the stiff hips a bit though.  He doesn’t have the greasy hips that JA has but if they can be oiled up just it will improve his game a lot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

His closing speed does make up for the stiff hips a bit though.  He doesn’t have the greasy hips that JA has but if they can be oiled up just it will improve his game a lot. 

Agree with that. In watching him this morning, one thing that stands out is his closing speed and explosion. Not saying his whole game reminds me of Sam Shields, but that elite closing speed is there.  

From the podcasts I've been listening to it seems like he's going to be best used as an off-ball cover type corner. Which is how Berry likes to play, no?

I also hear he has footwork problems. Is that something that can be coached up generally? Working with Davante alone should help, you'd think.

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

From the podcasts I've been listening to it seems like he's going to be best used as an off-ball cover type corner. Which is how Berry likes to play, no?

I also hear he has footwork problems. Is that something that can be coached up generally? Working with Davante alone should help, you'd think.

Yes, footwork can be improved.  Hip tightness, not really.  You'll see some of that clear up if you can fix the footwork, but he's always going to be a bit tight in the hips.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Yes, footwork can be improved.  Hip tightness, not really.  You'll see some of that clear up if you can fix the footwork, but he's always going to be a bit tight in the hips.

And if you're an off-ball type CB it makes up for being stiffer in the hips? 

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

You're usually going to prefer to play zone or off-man with physically limited corners.  He's got the long speed and he's got more than enough recovery speed to play in a press coverage scheme.

5 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

With 33" arms and a 4.25 40, I don't think you need to worry about him playing in any style of coverage. His biggest concern is going to be hitches and slants, and if you're giving up 9 yard completions, you can live with that.

Double moves are really the only concern deep, but he'd really have to bite to not be able to recover with that speed.