Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

With 33" arms and a 4.25 40, I don't think you need to worry about him playing in any style of coverage. His biggest concern is going to be hitches and slants, and if you're giving up 9 yard completions, you can live with that.

Double moves are really the only concern deep, but he'd really have to bite to not be able to recover with that speed.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You're usually going to prefer to play zone or off-man with physically limited corners.  He's got the long speed and he's got more than enough recovery speed to play in a press coverage scheme.

Thank you. I don't really know what to look for in corners, but when I seen his athletic profile, his success in the SEC, and what a very respected defensive coach said about him, I thought it was a very strong pick to make. 

Hadn't really thought about Stokes, as I was sure that other higher rated guys would be there.  And they were.

That being said, I'm NOT going to complain about going corner in round one.

Now get an OT in round two and then go hunting in the rest of the draft.  This draft is easiest when you go CB/OT with the first two picks.

And yes, we certainly do put stock into athletic scores.  There is little doubt.

Welcome to GB, Stokes!  We now have a  Stoked, Savage, Alexander backfield.  This stuff just writes itself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Stokes seems like a less fluid but faster Shields.

Sam isn't a bad comp. Stokes is a little longer, and more 10 yard explosive. I would say long speed is about the same, Shields was freaky fast at top speed. Definitely a more fluid player than Stokes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, viking said:

Nice pick Packers, he should develop into a good corner for you. I'm glad you guys didn't go O-line too, hopefully you guys will keep neglecting old man cry baby Rodgers 

A Vikings fan lecturing on drafting O-line and neglecting the offense after LaFleur is coming off leading the top scoring offense in the league and Rodgers threw 48 TDs. That's rich.

Thanks for input, guys, I very much appreciate the scouting observations and notes.  Seems like a good marriage of BPA with need.  I'm good with trusting Gute and the Packers scouting; they've earned some respect, and had surely invested a TON of time in scouting this young man in as many details as possible.  

If they scouted right and hit on another stud corner opposite Jaire, that would be super awesome.  

I admit the suggestion that he's tight and doesn't change direction well give me large pause.  Changing direction and doing stop-and-go seems exactly the task for corners.  Hope that isn't a real problem and a major limitation.

Haven't listed to the pressers yet.  But smarts and motivation are crucial.  Recognition and decision-making velocity determine how quickly athleticism/ explosion gets applied.   So the note from Kirby Smart that Stokes is really smart is encouraging. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

King was not fast in the NFCCG. He was definitely gimpy. Even more reason why he should have had help, but the play was definitely a result of King being slow.

While I'd definitely agree that King wasn't anywhere near 100% in that game, speed wasn't why King got roasted.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

King was not fast in the NFCCG. He was definitely gimpy. Even more reason why he should have had help, but the play was definitely a result of King being slow.

https://youtu.be/p1wdGME8V-E

I’m not convinced. He’s caught peeping into the backfield and seemed to be spatially unaware of where Miller was. Yes, then maybe he lacks the makeup speed.